Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #316
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@errenay just updated to that firmware as well, I can reproduce the issue. It seems that for whatever reason, they decided to add an additional refresh to the poweroff, which the addon does not expect. I'll see what I can do about it...

Still seems to work fine for the Standby case though.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #317
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@errenay can you test KoboRoot-ScreenSaver-20181216.zip (attached to first post)?
Advert
Old 12-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #318
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
frostschutz,
for H2O somehow different mode?

Because everything works fine for me (Mark 6), and mode from 16/12/2018 and the previous one.

FW 4.12
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:58 AM   #319
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Because everything works fine for me

FW 4.12
The issue was only with going to power off for me. And I would never have noticed myself because... I basically never power off, it's standby 24/7 ...

I only have a Kobo H2O (the original one with the hatch-flap) so I can't speak for other Kobo devices.

If it works for you then all is well...
Old 12-17-2018, 04:14 AM   #320
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@errenay can you test KoboRoot-ScreenSaver-20181216.zip (attached to first post)?
It looks that it works. Thank you!
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #321
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Newbie user. Just received my Kobo Clara today.

Sadly I tried to install this configuration and...

Upon unmounting and allowing my Kobo to restart, my Kobo got stuck in a reboot loop / critical error and I had to do a factory reset.

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 12-18-2018 at 02:30 PM.
mobilemoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #322
frostschutz
Linux User

That's odd, and you're also the first to report anything like this.

Which version did you use? The first post has some old files (dating back to 2015, 2016) they're not meant to be used unless you're still using 3.x firmware, or early 4.x firmware. If you're running current firmware, the 20181216 file in the first post is the correct one.

The 2015 screensaver hooked into a system file (dd) which - in theory, could cause side effects although it worked fine back then. The current mod doesn't do anything like that.

Last edited by frostschutz; 12-18-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #323
Dougr33
Nameless Being

Happy to report that the 20181216 version works perfectly on my new Clara HD (still on the 4.10.11655 firmware), AFTER about 5 power off/ons. Thanks!!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #324
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
That's odd, and you're also the first to report anything like this.

Which version did you use?
I used the 2018 one, the last file in the attached files list.

I'm running the latest firmware 4.12.##

Reading the instructions, I was confused by the following:

copy KoboRoot-ScreenSaver.tgz -> .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz

Does that mean copy the file to .kobo and then change the file name to KoboRoot.tgz?

I'm used to hacking things but there was no instruction other than copy a file and it looks like it goes to a directory named ".kobo/KoboRoot.tgz" which does not exist. There's no instruction on "change file name" if that's what one must do.

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 12-18-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #325
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemoxie View Post
Does that mean copy the file to .kobo and then change the file name to KoboRoot.tgz?
yes...
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #326
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast

Okay tried this again and this time I did what was supposed to be done!

Everything loaded fine. I ejected from my computer and disconnected USB cord. Allowed the software to install itself, which it did.

Pressed Power button to sleep (just says sleeping)

Pressed Power button off (says powered off)

Never saw a "scanline" image just the sleeping or powered off image

Tried again

Then rebooted

Then standby (no image)

Repeated this 3 or 4 times

No images are showing. Only the sleeping and powered off words.

Now what do I try?

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 12-18-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #327
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast

Additional Info:

1. I'm using a Macbook to connect to my Kobo. Does that matter?

2. The instructions mention a "screensaver.cfg" file but there isn't one, there's just a file named "screensaver.example.cfg" in the screensaver folder.

3. Is this file supposed to be renamed to "screensaver.cfg"? The instructions don't specify that.

4. I just went and changed the name of the config file to "screensaver.cfg."

Rebooted again

Still same result - no powerline image, just the same words (Sleeping / Powered Off)

There is no detected powerline in my Kobo and no config file has been created or updated.

It's not working for me and I don't know what else to try.

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 12-18-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #328
frostschutz
Linux User

1. I don't have a Mac. The key point is that you have to unzip the ZIP file (used because this forum only allows ZIP attachment) to get the TGZ file inside. Some unpackers also unpack the tgz, which results in a usr/etc/mnt directory structure to appear, which is not what you want (and thus you have to tell your unpacker to stop unpacking contents also). But if you got the TGZ file then all is OK.

2./3. You don't have to rename to screensaver.cfg. The mod installs as .example.cfg so as to not overwrite a screensaver.cfg you previously created. If the scanline works, the mod will create the screensaver.cfg on its own.

As for why it doesn't work for you: I don't know.

If you already have standby= poweroff= lines in your screensaver.cfg, you have to remove those for the addon to re-detect them.

Do you have an affiliate that displays a logo on standby/poweroff screens? Those screens are supposed to be entirely blank and only show Poweroff/Sleeping message.

Do you have a charger/USB cable connected to the Kobo? It does not work while charging (adds a battery % message to the sleep screen which this addon can't handle)

Instead of using the power button, try to let the device drop into standby and poweroff by itself (timeout setting in power saving).

Are you using the default Kobo firmware or alternative software like koreader? This addon is meant for the default reader (nickel) only.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #329
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast

SUCCESS! And I can see images I loaded, although they are just on the upper left side of the screen. Any way to have those images cover
the full width and length of the Kobo screen?

#
# Standby scanline autodetected Wed Dec 19 09:28:06 EST 2018
# If this value does not work, remove it so it will be re-detected.
#
standby=1233:ffffff0000001b1b1bffffff8a8a8a000000f ffffff6f6f6000000515151ffffffd3d3d36c6c6c131313000 000090909373737a7a7a7ffffffd3d3d36c6c6c13131300000 0090909373737a7a7a7ffffffe4e4e4bfbfbf9a9a9a7575755 151512c2c2c070707000000646464ffffff9191912a2a2a000 000090909636363c8c8c8fffffffefefedbdbdbb8b8b894949 47171714d4d4d2a2a2a060606000000515151ffffffebebebc 6c6c6a0a0a07b7b7b5555552f2f2f0a0a0a000000515151fff fffa0a0a03636360000001010107e7e7eeeeeeeffffffe8e8e 88585852222220000003e3e3e999999f4f4f4f9f9f9ffffff

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 12-19-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #330
frostschutz
Linux User

The addon does not scale images by itself, so you'll have to provide images of the correct size using an image editor of your choice.

Quote:
Supports up to about 1000 files, depending on filename length. (shorter is better). Image dimensions and offsets depends on your device, please adapt accordingly. Small filesizes are better - reduce color to grayscale (16 colors) or black/white.
I should update it to include JPEG support as well...

PNG only for now.

Last edited by frostschutz; 12-19-2018 at 11:14 AM.