Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Kewlcat
Kewlcat began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge since May '11 (upgraded to Ermine - Aug '11)
New PE user here...

Hi all,

I just bought my PE a few days back (havent recieved it yet) & after seeing the price on Woot, bought another as a gift...(couldnt resist )

Prior to purchasing, I spent a few days looking into it & most of the useful info I found was on the official entourage edge forums...However when i tried to register, I kept getting a "Sorry we are having technical issues" page...

Looking further into some of the posts regarding updating to Android 2.2, I see that one needs to be registered to access the update. However if I am unable to register on the forums, will I be able to update?

I knew of all the company closing down rumours when I made the purchase & was ready to accept that there may not be any future suppot, but I hoped to atleast get access to the Ermine/Android 2.2 update.

Hope someone here has some insight to offer on this.

Also a BIG to all you dedicated entourage users (BorisB, obsessed2, Filark, Niatrue, Gecko to name a few off the top of my head) whose forum posts at the official site have been a big factor in making me decide to buy this even at the risk of not having any 'official' future support for it.
Kewlcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hey there, Kewlcat! I am honored to have made your list.

The website has been going down off and on, but last I checked everything is still working. To get the Ermine (2.2) update you need to register with entourageedge.com, meaning make an account with them. I think this is the same registration you need to register your eDGe. You do not need to register for the forum, though of course I hope you will!!

Have patience with the websites. As to the rumors, you never know what might happen. Today, enTourage is still alive and occasionally kicking. They are still providing tech support, although not at the level they once did (or so I hear -- haven't needed to contact them yet myself). Personally, I am still hoping for a buyout rather than a bankruptcy, and still hoping <longshot> for revamped hardware to emerge down the road.

I really hope you like your PE when it comes, and your giftee does, too!

Stay "kewl"!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
Kewlcat

Aww...see, its friendly PE/EE users like you that make me sure that I would love this device when i get it...

I thought the whole registration process is common for the whole website i.e. as a new customer or for the forums...I am still unable to do it...I hope its just a 'downtime' as you say...

Or is it something that needs to be done through the actual device?? i.e. I cannot register from my laptop? That would be weird but at this point I'm hoping atleast thats what it is

& yeah, am totally with you on the buyout vs bankruptcy theories...fingers crossed & lets hope for the best....
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I've tried a dozen times -- the Forum registration is closed. Registration of the product would no doubt include the serial number of the product, so I'm confident the forum registration is NOT the same.

Product registration will probably be the last thing running before the lights go out. Obviously I'll get that done within one minute of when I break the tape on my PE.

In case time runs out before the Woot buyers receive theirs, does anyone know where we could get the update file? I already downloaded the manual update zip file still on the site. Hopefully there will be some way of piecing together at least the most recent stable dingo (?) and the newest version, so we can upgrade, and downgrade successfully if the upgrade is too flaky.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kewlcat, you *should* be able to register an account on the www.entourageedge.com site (not the forum) before you get your PE, then use that login to register your device when you get it. Forum registration is, indeed, separate.

I hope whatever the forum registration bug is it gets fixed soon . . .
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I hope whatever the forum registration bug is it gets fixed soon . . .
It's fixed now.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Kewlcat

Thank you guys!!

I can confirm that its working now...I was able to register at the the site (wasnt able to do this part earlier) & got a customer ID...

From the Account dashboard there was another registration for the forums, which I was able to do as well...PHEW!!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
huskernut
huskernut began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
looking for the download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
I already downloaded the manual update zip file still on the site.
Where is this download located, I failed to find it on the entourage site. Thanks for your help.
huskernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #9
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

I found the page with the update.zip file linked in a forum post. I downloaded the file but didn't make a note of the page, because I was done with it and figured it wasn't long for this world.

If I can find it again, I'll post here. Worst case, you can shout out here and I'll file share it on a website folder.

Oh, and I was able to register on entourageedge a bit ago. I haven't tried the forum there yet.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
huskernut
huskernut began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Thanks, I will keep an eye out here, maybe someone else knows the link.

I am gonna be off the grid for 2 weeks so I hope the entourage site is still alive when I surface cause that's the first time I will have a chance to open my Woot PE.

Best regards
huskernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

Bear in mind the only two links I've found are one on the entourageedge site that is an update.zip of 159MB, and another one clearly identified as "golden update" dingo 1.11 at 221MB.
I don't know what version of "golden update" Entourage offered that I got (I assume it's older than 1.11 since it's smaller), and I haven't found a link to the Froyo Beta, or the Dingo 1.18 people say they are getting ON the eDGe when it arrives.
Those are the to we REALLY want!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Filark

Is it really Dingo 1.18?? Mine has 1.13, and when I run the updater it says I have the latest (non-beta) version available.

Just wondering . . .
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

I've seen posts from people claiming 1.18. Whichever it is, it's above 1.11, which is the latest one I've seen a manual update (golden update) file download for.

Obviously we want the LATEST one in a standalone file.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I believe 1.13 is the latest Dingo version.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

Does anyone know where we can get the "update.zip" golden update for Dingo 1.13? If it's smaller than 1.11, then the one at 159MB I have might be it, but I've unzipped all the parts and there are no labels anywhere indicating the version. Not even the shell file is labeled.

Tags
android 2.2, entourage pocket edge, ermine, new user, update