Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #16
hakama
hakama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PP3
I've compared it and there were improvements but also a major flaw against PW3 2015.

Advantages:

- Very even backlighting
- Visibly faster refresh when browsing
- 16g lighter / 182 by catalog, on my scale = 184g)
- more memory and water resistance (no matter to me)

Disadvantage:

- the text is transparent (lower optical density/solidity than "2015, even with different fonts ...).

I tried with two bold fonts (helvetica and amazon ember bold), it's a bit better, but I read with serifs (e.g. bookerly) ... and there is no bolding option like Kobo. That is a pity.

I tried to upgrade but there was no improvement.

Is it this?!

P.S. It has a luminescent background (cold white)

Here is the current version of the reader:
5 10 0 2

So, may be I tried newest 8" reader... (Onyx)
hakama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakama View Post
I tried with two bold fonts (helvetica and amazon ember bold), it's a bit better, but I read with serifs (e.g. bookerly) ... and there is no bolding option like Kobo. That is a pity.
Maybe I don’t understand what you mean by ‘bolding option’, but you can make Bookerly bolder if you want, I think the format just has to be kf8 or kfx.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #18
hakama
hakama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PP3
I want to make a darker dense (solidity) text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Maybe I don’t understand what you mean by ‘bolding option’, but you can make Bookerly bolder if you want, I think the format just has to be kf8 or kfx.
What do you mean?
------------------------------
If it can not be corrected by adding a font (serif with a bold), I will try the new ONYX BOOX NOVA - maybe they will be done with the hosting effect and it's with full text.

Last variant: Kobo Clara HD 6
-------

Basically, I'm looking for a stable-screen reader with high contrast, like PW3 - that is, after 10-20 pages - the text does not lose solidity (fading like Kobo Aura H20 6.8 ") but with size 7 or 8"

(compromise is 6 "with text to frames - for example, e.g. Kobo Clara HD - it's also very light.) The warm color is a plus."
hakama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #19
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have 2 Paperwhite 3's and a Paperwhite 4 and if I put them side by side I can see a little of what you're talking about but the reading experience is identical with them. When reading they're all perfect.

As for bold, I read with Bookerly and one level of bolding. The Paperwhites with current firmware provide bolding control on books bought from Amazon and on side-loaded books if they're converted to mobi with "Both" selected on the mobi output. I forget just what both refers to but it does work.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The Paperwhites with current firmware provide bolding control on books bought from Amazon and on side-loaded books if they're converted to mobi with "Both" selected on the mobi output. I forget just what both refers to but it does work.

Barry
Or to azw3. The plain mobi format doesn't support custom fonts or bolding. If your books are not purchased from Amazon, you'll have to convert them to azw3 or mobi/both to use those features.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #21
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018)
Guys i'm starting to think maybe my pw4 has something wrong, i noticed the "washed out" text almost immediatly but it doesn't bother much and internet said it was normal... But noticed that in my kindle that's not the only problem, it seems like portion of the screen is more washed out, i can notice like a word that in the middle become more wash out. I tried to abilitate the screen refresh every turn and it's the same. Do you notice something like that?
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've never seen anything like that on any of my Kindles.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #23
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018)
Do you see it here or is it just me?
Spoiler:
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I can see it. In life I've seen it on various Kindles when pages are set not to fully refresh every time, but not when they are.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #25
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I get this slightly with some words being more washed out than others, but it doesn't stay consistent or in the same spot.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote