Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Setting up plugins on Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Gregg's using Linux. The Bundled Python checkbox isn't relevant to Linux users (unless they're using one of my standalone versions). Linux Sigil relies on the system Python.

What's your Linux flavor/version again, Gregg? I forget. I'd be surprised if you didn't have at least Python3.4. EDIT: in fact I know you have 3.4 (or higher) installed. Sigil wouldn't function at all otherwise. So it's merely a matter of making sure the recommended Python modules are all installed for a fully-functioning Sigil plugin framework.
Thanks Diap.

My distro is Xubuntu 16.04LTS

When I search for python in the terminal I get:

Code:
Python 2.7.12 (default, Nov 12 2018, 14:36:49) 
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux2
But when I do a file search in the File System it shows I have a Python 2.7 folder in /etc and a Python 3.5 folder in /etc.

And how would I know if I have all the recommended Python modules installed?

And I just noticed this in the Sigil plugins (screenshot). Doesn't that mean I have 3.4?

Diap, even if I have 3.4, if I don't select "bundled" there is no "external python" to select. So what do I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_008.png
Views:	153
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	168027  

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 11-26-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added screenshot and plea for help :)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
And I just noticed this in the Sigil plugins (screenshot). Doesn't that mean I have 3.4?
No. It doesn't. That doesn't have anything to do with what's installed on your system.

Python3.4 is the minimum Sigil needs to function. You meet that minimum. In fact, it looks like you have Python 3.5 -- which is perfectly fine

Quote:
Diap, even if I have 3.4, if I don't select "bundled" there is no "external python" to select. So what do I do?
You click the "Auto" button in "Manage Plugins" to let Sigil find a suitable Python 3 interpreter for you. If it's unsuccessful, you use the "Set" button to browse for the Python 3 executable manually. It's usually something like /usr/bin/python3.

Quote:
And how would I know if I have all the recommended Python modules installed?
By installing and running the "Test" plugin that we created for just this very reason.
Downloads and instructions can be found here. Download testplugin_v014.zip

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-26-2018 at 08:33 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No. It doesn't. That doesn't have anything to do with what's installed on your system.

Python3.4 is the minimum Sigil needs to function. You meet that minimum. In fact, it looks like you have Python 3.5 -- which is perfectly fine

You click the "Auto" button in "Manage Plugins" to let Sigil find a suitable Python 3 interpreter for you. If it's unsuccessful, you use the "Set" button to browse for the Python 3 executable manually. It's usually something like /usr/bin/python3.

By installing and running the "Test" plugin that we created for just this very reason.
Downloads and instructions can be found here. Download testplugin_v014.zip
Of course, the Test plugin! Thanks Diap. I'm a little shell shocked by all this stuff lately. So I'm just thinking of doing a simple 400X600 pixels for the backmatter images.

I may try to get SlowSmile's plugin on my other machine. (If I put it on Sigil and don't like it, is it easy to remove?)

And what about The Test? My Sigil 9.8 seems to be working great. Do I really need to test it?

Thanks a lot. Especially for always helping me out with the Linux stuff.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Okay, I got it, Diap. Thanks. The "Test" plugin works great. SlowSmile's has been a little tricky. When I run it, the option screen eventually comes on, but before I can effectively choose which ones, it flashes off. I can get it back though by rolling the cursor around that area. At first glances, this plugin is amazing.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not sure what might be causing the disappearing widget (might be an issue with the plugin itself), but I'm glad you got it working. The good news is that if the Test plugin completed with no errors, you should be set to use just about any plugin that's out there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Not sure what might be causing the disappearing widget (might be an issue with the plugin itself), but I'm glad you got it working. The good news is that if the Test plugin completed with no errors, you should be set to use just about any plugin that's out there.
Thanks Diap. I have that disappearing screen thing at other times, so it's not specific to Sigil. It's usually that I'm doing something like in GIMP and a screen from a browser I was using earlier will flash on the screen--usually when I'm trying to open an image--but when I scroll the mouse around the screen the GIMP screen returns. Maybe I have too much open, but it's nothing to worry about. And yeah, "The Test" said no errors so that's good. Bring on the plugins! Ha ha.