Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
toby39
toby39 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Problem converting txt to mobi

I convert txt to mobi with calibre using the output setting for Kindle. When I open these files on my Kindle 3 instead of " and ' etc. I only get squares.

Can anyone help me with this?
toby39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I don't know enough about this, but have you had a look at the txt input options on the Calibre conversion tab ?

The only thing I can wonder is, what happens in the conversion when you check the 'Process through markdown' .

[but I could be barking up the wrong tree !]

edit : second thought, what does your resultant 'mobi' file look like in the Calibre viewer ?

Last edited by GeoffC; 09-03-2010 at 05:54 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My guess is that your document contains smart quotes.Try playing with the 'Input character encoding' (in preferences) -- in particular, try 'cp1252'. Also try checking the box Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
toby39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
My guess is that your document contains smart quotes.Try playing with the 'Input character encoding' (in preferences) -- in particular, try 'cp1252'. Also try checking the box Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII.
I tried with ASCII which resulted in no special characters at all (no ", ', :, ?)

When I view the mobi file with calibre viewer its � instead of " and '.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby39 View Post
I tried with ASCII which resulted in no special characters at all (no ", ', :, ?)
What do you mean? Did you type ASCII into the Input character encoding box, or do something else?

Did you try cp1252?
Quote:
When I view the mobi file with calibre viewer its � instead of " and '.
That is a very strong indication of a character set problem.
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That is a very strong indication of a character set problem.

yep .....

As an alternative you could drop the txt into Sigil and create an epub from that. Calibre will give a decent mobi from the result if needed.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
toby39

I will try as you said, I'm sorry I can't explain it any better, English is not my first language.

EAT: I'm sorry but I can't find anyting with cp1252 in the calibre preferences. Under TXT Input only have 5 options, none of them are related to my issue. Could you pleas point me in the right direction again, thanks!

Last edited by toby39; 09-04-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby39 View Post
I'm sorry but I can't find anyting with cp1252 in the calibre preferences. Under TXT Input only have 5 options, none of them are related to my issue. Could you pleas point me in the right direction again, thanks!
Under "Look & Feel" in the "Input character encoding" box enter "cp1252"

Last edited by Starson17; 09-04-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
toby39

So I tired cp1252 but i still get � instead of "/'. Is there something like a list with these caracter encodings I could try? Because whatever options I try I either have strange symbols or none at all, which makes reading dialogues pretty hard. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Look at this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52#post1085147

and this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...252#post989117

Also make sure you don't have the transliterate unicode to ascii box checked.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
toby39

Thank you all for your help, depending on the input file, i have to change the input character encoding, but so far i mostly worked.