Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
dysmith
dysmith began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle 3 vs. nook -- which is best for web browsing

Help me decide between Kindle 3 and Nook. I will mainly be using it to read online fiction, so the web browser feature is the most important to me. I like the Nook's epub, lending and library features. But the new kindle seems to be faster, have a crisper display and no glare. Any recommendations? Thanks!
dysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
For the reasons you stated, you will enjoy the Kindle3 more.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle 3 has the better browser
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
Kindle 3 has better browser due to Article Mode

Kindle 3 browser has this option to stip away the ads etc. from a page and show the text which is very helpful.

Lets you turn a blog post into a book chapter of sorts.

Apart from that they are both good. Kindle 3 does have better screen contrast but it's not, in my opinion, as important as Article Mode which is like having Readability on your eReader.
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle 3's web browser is awfully unstable, though. When I use it, after displaying a few pages, the device will usually spontaneously reboot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle 3's web browser is awfully unstable, though. When I use it, after displaying a few pages, the device will usually spontaneously reboot.
Harry T; you have quite a stable of ereaders. Which is your current preferred device?
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iPad. I think the best eInk device is the BeBook Neo.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
drmathprog
Connoisseur

Is the iPad the best reading device or do all its other capabilities enter into your preference for it?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's because of the large screen - that makes for a much nicer reading experience. Also the touch screen is perfect for things like dictionary lookup and annotation.

For eInk devices I'd go for either the Neo or the new Kindle 3, which is also pretty nice.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
drmathprog
Connoisseur

I know what you mean; I often find my PRS-505 to be a bit small for comfortable reading. I wish the iPad were a bit less pricey. While it seems a beautiful device the Kindle 3 seems to have set a new bar for price point.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
dysmith
dysmith began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks

I appreciate your help, Everyone.

The Ipad is great, I know, but between the cost and the eyestrain (plus, I really only need a device for reading), it looks like the Kindle 3 is the best rec. I just talked to Amazon and was told if I ordered one this week, it would ship the week of 9/30.

All the best!
dysmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, nook, web browser