Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Why should I get a Kindle over a Sony Reader?

Looking at both and trying to make up my mind. I like the Sony's design, access to more open formats, and the fact I can actually try before I buy. I like Kindle's access to a larger library of new books (for cheaper) and cheaper price.

What do you think? If you were picking between the two, what pushed you toward or away from Kindle?
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
Looking at both and trying to make up my mind. I like the Sony's design, access to more open formats, and the fact I can actually try before I buy. I like Kindle's access to a larger library of new books (for cheaper) and cheaper price.

What do you think? If you were picking between the two, what pushed you toward or away from Kindle?
If you buy a Kindle you'd naturally believe that Amazon aren't rich enough.
You'd be happy to have your books deleted at their whim, you'd believe that industry standards for ebooks aren't really important and you'd love being tied into one store for buying your books - coincidentally Amazon.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Well you can try the Kindle for 30 days and if you don't like it for any reason you can return it at no charge.

I am not swayed by the the argument that the Sony or B&N have more open formats, we saw just over a week ago a firmware update for the K2 and now it can natively support pdfs, I suspect that if Amazon decided to support ePub going forward that it could simply update it's firmware again. Frankly, I find the supposition that the ePub format is somehow "more open" is silly, considering most ePub files for sale are DRMed. Mobi files are quite open too, when they don't have any DRM. Until the publishing industry rids itself of the shadow of DRM I think that the whole question of openness is a moot point.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
you'd love being tied into one store for buying your books - coincidentally Amazon.

This is false. I regularly buy ebooks from other vendors, particularly Drivethrurpg.com and Smashwords, as well as publishers like Chaosium.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
As a sidenote, I don't really understand the fear of Amazon taking their books back. The incident in question essentially involved Amazon selling something that was illegal. They certainly should vet what they sell more thoroughly, but they were selling something that should not have been produced in the first place, and unlike a physical object, they were able to retrieve the file back. As long as money was refunded, I don't see this as Big Brother.

As for Amazon being rich enough, this isn't an issue for me. It's whether I am rich enough to afford the software for the product in question. If I can get a new book for $9.99 vs. $15 or more in another e-book store, then that product makes more sense for me.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
This is false. I regularly buy ebooks from other vendors, particularly Drivethrurpg.com and Smashwords, as well as publishers like Chaosium.
Apologies. I don't buy that many ebooks from Amazon for a Kindle to know. Just talking from the impression that Amazon give.
Besides, the wireless functionality seems to be all for the Amazon store..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control
Dr. Wily doesn't litterDr. Wily doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 International
That's why they give you a USB cable to transfer eBooks onto your Kindle. I have many eBooks on my Kindle that I have converted myself from stories online.

And, you can go all over the internet with the Kindle.
Dr. Wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
As a sidenote, I don't really understand the fear of Amazon taking their books back. The incident in question essentially involved Amazon selling something that was illegal. They certainly should vet what they sell more thoroughly, but they were selling something that should not have been produced in the first place, and unlike a physical object, they were able to retrieve the file back. As long as money was refunded, I don't see this as Big Brother.

As for Amazon being rich enough, this isn't an issue for me. It's whether I am rich enough to afford the software for the product in question. If I can get a new book for $9.99 vs. $15 or more in another e-book store, then that product makes more sense for me.
Not only that but Amazon did give people refunds instantly as well. So I don't see the issue. After all, if you bought (not knowlingly of course) a stolen stereo, and later the cops showed up and it was found to be stolen, you'd get your money back and of course wouldn't expect to keep it right?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Nope, not true. Though it's mostly slow as molasses, Kindles can be used to surf almost anywhere on the net (preferably mobile sites).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
If you buy a Kindle you'd naturally believe that Amazon aren't rich enough.
You'd be happy to have your books deleted at their whim, you'd believe that industry standards for ebooks aren't really important and you'd love being tied into one store for buying your books - coincidentally Amazon.
It all depends on your reading style but for me Amazon is the only store I need. They have the content and pricing that suits my style of reading. I'm not a big re-reader of books but I can liberate a book if I need to read it on a future device.

Amazon hasn't deleted anything at their whim BTW. I've received emails asking be to delete content because a corrected version was available (The Stand). They made a big mistake with 1984 for which they apologized and compensated those affected. If they made a habit of this, then I could see why people would continue to harp on this. Let it go.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Apologies. I don't buy that many ebooks from Amazon for a Kindle to know. Just talking from the impression that Amazon give.
You can use the Kindle wireless to download books from MobileRead and from Feedbooks.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
You can also use the wireless to surf to your own searchable catalog of books, served up by Calibre. I use this for all my Amazon books as well (DRM'd or not - Topaz, too), since I can search my customized metadata.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer

Quote:
No worries, I've just seen this put out there by Kindle detractors who know that it isn't true and I 've grown tired of it. I know that the Kindle isn't perfect, but I have a hard time with people who spread misinformation. Heck, my company's president asked me this morning about the Kindle, as she is considering one for her husband for his birthday. I told her that I loved mine, but since his birthday is still a ways off I would probably wait until the nook actually made an appearrance, so she could see if that would suit his needs better.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I am not swayed by the the argument that the Sony or B&N have more open formats... Frankly, I find the supposition that the ePub format is somehow "more open" is silly, considering most ePub files for sale are DRMed. Mobi files are quite open too, when they don't have any DRM. Until the publishing industry rids itself of the shadow of DRM I think that the whole question of openness is a moot point.
Karma for pointing out this fallacy that an alarming number of people seem to subscribe to.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

You can also "try before you buy" with the Kindle too. Sample sizes are generous, IMHO.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote