Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie 26 34.21%
The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan) by Biggs 15 19.74%
Lady Molly of Scotland Yard by by Baroness Orczy 2 2.63%
A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch 1 1.32%
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin 9 11.84%
Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers 23 30.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Have you ever read a Poirot novel?
Yep. I've run a bunch of them. Not all though and I plan on trying to read them in order starting with the winner. Have to convert it to ePub and post it. Won't have time to do this until maybe Tuesday as I am going away for the weekend.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yep. I've run a bunch of them. Not all though and I plan on trying to read them in order starting with the winner. Have to convert it to ePub and post it. Won't have time to do this until maybe Tuesday as I am going away for the weekend.
Hey, the voting isn't over yet, ya know! Murder Must Advertise could still pull out a win.

I don't often re-read books so I'm hoping for one I haven't already read to win.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #33
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
"I thought Sherlock Holmes was the most famous of them all. Or is it Inspector Clouseau, Inspector Gadget, Columbo, Nero Wolf, or Monk?"

Apparently, you never stayed up past mid-night and watched the late movies when you were tens years old or you would know Charlie Chan was the greatest detective of all.

sigh.... this is not going well
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #34
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
This was a hard decision. I was really interested in Mistress of the Art of Death until I went over to Amazon & Fictionwise and saw the price. I think I'll wind up reading all the others over time, but I wound up voting for Tommy & Tuppence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Tommy and Tuppence? This Agatha Christie doesn't feature them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
You'll be getting Hercule Poirot...
Arghhh! I read the wrong synopsis. But that's OK. I only know Poirot from the BBC series picked up on PBS's Mystery!. I probably won't be able to read it without hearing David Suchet's voice.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #35
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Arghhh! I read the wrong synopsis. But that's OK. I only know Poirot from the BBC series picked up on PBS's Mystery!. I probably won't be able to read it without hearing David Suchet's voice.
He is a great Poirot, so you should be fine with his voice

I can see I will have an easy time, as I have read either of two likely winners too many times to need to read them again. I think I will read "Mistress of the art of death" instead.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exciting and close vote. As it looks now this one is going to come down to the wire.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #37
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Since I'm on a limited budget my choices were constrained to those books available here;

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan Omnibus) by Biggs Biggers, Earl Derr
and
Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers

Since I've read several Lord Peter Wimsey books and several Hercule Poirot books I've voted for Charlie Chan.

(The fact that bumping The Chinese Parrot tightens the race has nothing to do with my selection. (much))

Edit; I intend to read all three this month so as to compare/contrast them.

Last edited by NormHart; 09-03-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Arrrg, brownies!!!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #38
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Well, I'm ready...got both the leading contenders at the ready on my 700. Am hurrying to finish up what I'm reading now in anticipation! (I've never been one of those 'reading several at a time' sort...too tunnel visioned I guess )
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Well, I'm ready...got both the leading contenders at the ready on my 700. Am hurrying to finish up what I'm reading now in anticipation! (I've never been one of those 'reading several at a time' sort...too tunnel visioned I guess )
Same here I like to read one at a time two. When I try to read two books at the same time I get confused. Like, do you read one line of each at a time, or one page... just to hard.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #40
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm one of those who reads more than one book at a time. BK (before Kindle), I would keep one book by my bed and carry another one with me. Now, I just pick one book to read on the Kindle and another paper book and move from one to the other as the mood strikes. I do try to have completely different types of books so there's no risk of confusion. Right now I'm reading Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse #4) by Charlaine Harris on the Kindle and Thursdays At Eight by Debbie Macomber in a paperback.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #41
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Interesting BK I would normally read one paperback at a time. AK (After Kindle) I find myself reading 2-5 books at a time. I suspect this is simply due to the other books being a click or two away but may also be due to the fact that I have rarely had so many unread books in the house as I do now that I have a Kindle.

I am currently reading a couple of Swords and Sorcery books, a couple of Sci-Fi books, a historic Swashbuckler, and should be starting whichever mystery you all select. I am having little problem switching gears between books for some reason. When I turn on the Kindle I don't always know which book I was reading last and sometimes whatever is up isn't what I am in the mood for. Click, click and off I go.

, Kindle!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #42
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well, I went for Dorothy Sayers and I guess for the moment tipped the balance

It's just that I just read the Agatha Christie's and I fell like a good woman mistery... they just feel different don't you think?

maggie*
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #43
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie* View Post
Well, I went for Dorothy Sayers and I guess for the moment tipped the balance

It's just that I just read the Agatha Christie's and I fell like a good woman mistery... they just feel different don't you think?

maggie*
I agree. Sayers' mysteries are like elaborate puzzles, and Murder Must Advertise is also quite funny (from what I've heard, I haven't read this title yet which is why I voted for it).
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #44
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please people can't we just give a Chinese detective a chance, for once?

When you think about it, English, female detective writers, they're, they're..... so rather common, don't you think?

Get out on a limb - go exotic, go Chinese... you'll never go back
Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #45
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Yeah, and another thing. How come I only get to vote once? What if I were to change my mind?

I thought this was the internet?

Dang, it used to be so simple