Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: New New Home Screen (4.4.9298) or Old Home Screen?
New New Home Screen (4.4.9288) 63 45.99%
Old Home Screen 74 54.01%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #16
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by imkh View Post
Hey, I got the Reading Stats there once! Mostly its all the store stuff and I don't even have my wifi on!

Wish it would come back and stay.
I have the reading stats there now, but they did go away for a while. It looks like it randomly cycles through stats, pocket, wish-list, and related reads.

Overall, I like this home screen. The advertisement is minimal, the lower right is a collection and the upper right is am author. I know that can change, but I am not sure what triggers the changes.

I would rather be able to pick what I want to see and have it stick, but I can live with this.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:23 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
One advantage of how this is done is that a long press displays the book menu just like in the book list. That will have annotations as an item if the book has annotations.
So, it's an advantage you have to do an extra action just to see if you have annotations? I don't always need to see which annotations I have, I only want to know if I have annotations...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, it's an advantage you have to do an extra action just to see if you have annotations? I don't always need to see which annotations I have, I only want to know if I have annotations...
No, it's an advantage that the full menu is displayed when you long press on the book on the home screen. Previously you only had "Open" and "Dismiss".

And as the tile doesn't show the annotation, then this is the quickest way to find out if a book has annotations. That is not an advantage, but is simply how it works now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:15 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, it's an advantage that the full menu is displayed when you long press on the book on the home screen. Previously you only had "Open" and "Dismiss".

And as the tile doesn't show the annotation, then this is the quickest way to find out if a book has annotations. That is not an advantage, but is simply how it works now.

Then I don't understand your reply at all A disadvantage is the inability to see if a book has annotations, but the advantage is that you can go to those annotations within the menu... You only don't know if said book has annotations, so you must go to the annotations always to even see if it has some...
Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then I don't understand your reply at all A disadvantage is the inability to see if a book has annotations, but the advantage is that you can go to those annotations within the menu... You only don't know if said book has annotations, so you must go to the annotations always to even see if it has some...
Sorry, you are reading far to much into my original statement. How about if I rephrase it to:

Quote:
One advantage the new home screen is that a long press displays the book menu just like in the book list. That will have annotations as an item if the book has annotations.
I was not commenting on the lack of the annotations on the home screen. I was describing how to get to the annotations and in doing so, stating one of the few advantages of the new home screen.
Advert
Old 05-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Actually, if the book has no annotations, then the "annotations" item will not show on the menu. I have 3 books on my home screen, and only one has annotations. I can tell just by the long press which one has them and which doesn't.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
So, instead of seeing it at a glance, you have to long press all the books for checking the menu. In my work, that's a workaround when the designer/developer has made a mistake /bad decision

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #23
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
So, instead of seeing it at a glance, you have to long press all the books for checking the menu. In my work, that's a workaround when the designer/developer has made a mistake /bad decision

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk
I'd say that depends on the new layout. Of course since in this case there is plenty of white space, even with Oren's patch to increase the cover size on the home screen, I have to agree that the choice to hide information under a long press is an odd one at best.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #24
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
It could be simply a question of aesthetics. From the screenshots I've seen around here aesthetics would seem to be a major design factor for this redesign. (Despite syncing a few times the last week or so my H2O has yet to update, and I'm too lazy to side-load.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 AM   #25
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
It could be simply a question of aesthetics. From the screenshots I've seen around here aesthetics would seem to be a major design factor for this redesign.
So, another triumph of form over function...
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
So, another triumph of form over function...
It could also be a response to complaints. From my experience here, there have been as many complaints about the previous home screen as compliments. More than one of them described that they wanted something like what Kobo have produced.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #27
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I like the new new home screen better. Just received the update OTA.
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It could also be a response to complaints. From my experience here, there have been as many complaints about the previous home screen as compliments. More than one of them described that they wanted something like what Kobo have produced.
Then why not give both, if the camp for and the camp against are about equal in size...
Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Then why not give both, if the camp for and the camp against are about equal in size...
Because having two different home screens means double maintenance.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because supporting both is expensive. Two sets of code, two sets of help, two sets of support instructions. And it gets confusing for the users.

The change is about Kobo deciding to make a change. Whether they did it because of complaints, because they thought it would sell books, because they hired someone to show them how it was done properly, or just because they felt like it, we don't know and it's unlikely we will ever know.