Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I only know I'd love to have that book! I'm crazy about old maps.
If you had . . . oh . . . say . . . a few hundred million pounds lying around, it probably could be yours.

I like old maps, too.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #17
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
<snip>
BTW--my hunch, from reading here and there, is that the British Museum is probably on the forefront in the world of digitizing old things. Thank you, British Museum!
The "old things" that I had reference to are images. I don't know where they would stand in the digitization of old texts; I suspect that they wouldn't rank very highly in that area. But everyone has to have a specialty in this day and time.
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #18
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
According to Wikipedia the Klencke Atlas consists of 41 copperplate wall maps. The supposed intention was that you would tear out the map you wanted and mount it on the wall. Apparently someone said "Don't do that, this might be worth something in 350 years".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klencke_Atlas
We should be thankful for that! Although most all of the pages probably could have been found, if not in a public collection, then in someone's private collection. It would just be a long, drawn-out, very expensive process of trying to bring all of the pages back together again. Some people wouldn't sell at any price, and it might take several generations before one of them decided that they could part with it.