Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you spend more time with your tablet or your laptop?
Tablet 37 35.58%
Laptop 59 56.73%
About the same 8 7.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2016, 02:53 AM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But it's a perfect device if you don't have a PC at your workplace and need some serious processor power (I'm a developer, building and compiling generally is intensive work).
I do a lot of developing as well. I just never have a need to build/compile out in the field (nor the time to wait for said compilation to complete on a laptop). I'm either working on a PC (with multiple virtual machines simultaneously running/compiling), or playing/reading on a tablet (I don't game). If my workstation were more "mobile," I might actually be expected to work more on the go. That would be awful (as well as painful).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #47
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I went with "About the same", which at the moment is mostly "Neither".

What I do with each of them does not overlap with the other, so whether I use one or the other is not a preference, but a matter of what I am planning to do.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #48
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Alpha o, you really need a better picture of your cat. Every time I look at it, I have to stare hard to figure out what I'm looking at!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The first thing I saw was the light-colored streak that runs from above the eye up the inside of the ear - it looked like some amorphous blob to me
Agreed. It is actually a little scary at first glance.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #49
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I intentionally didn't include desktop in my survey because I am curious with people's preferences with their portable devices.
I use my laptop for almost everything, but it's only portable due to its design. The thing has a big screen (I can't remember if it's 17" or 19") and really too big to lug around unless I really have to. It has a permanent place on a computer desk.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I do a lot of developing as well. I just never have a need to build/compile out in the field (nor the time to wait for said compilation to complete on a laptop). I'm either working on a PC (with multiple virtual machines simultaneously running/compiling), or playing/reading on a tablet (I don't game). If my workstation were more "mobile," I might actually be expected to work more on the go. That would be awful (as well as painful).
I spend about 90% of my time developing while at work (the rest is spent at various other locations and that includes the internet ). And when the client doesn't supply a workstation (like my current workplace), I'll be able to supply my own. And I don't work on the go, I think the battery would last about an hour, if I really would work on it without a wire... But the laptop isn't designed for that, it's designed as a mobile workstation. It's a beautiful monster, a full-sized keyboard, a 17" screen (1920x1200) and way too large to just use while browsing on the couch
But thankfully, I have my Surface Pro 2 (which is my own) for some semi-serious programming work, my Asus VivoTab Note 8 for some couch-browsing and my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for the odds and ends (I really never cared for Android...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #51
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Now that I am retired, I spend a lot less time in front of the computer and more time sitting on the couch with my tablet.

(BTW, I am too young to retire, but it is what it is)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Rub it in why don'tcha
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #53
Blackadder
Somewhat bored
Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo hd
Actually spend most time on my mobile, but as it wasn't an option had to go with the tablet
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #54
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Now that I am retired, I spend a lot less time in front of the computer and more time sitting on the couch with my tablet.

Me too on both counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Rub it in why don'tcha
I'll rub it in for her. Being retired doesn't leave you with a lot of time.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 AM   #55
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Of course Laptop. I feel more comfortable equipped with a mouse and keyboard.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #56
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I have yet to find an accessible tablet.

I have propriceptive and sensory issues, so I can't use touchscreens, I can't see through blinding lights, and I can't withstand certain types of strobe or animation. I know Android has settings to disable animation; they don't disable animation.

Last edited by MarjaE; 12-28-2016 at 06:09 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:46 AM   #57
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I have yet to find an accessible tablet.

I have propriceptive and sensory issues, so I can't use touchscreens, I can't see through blinding lights, and I can't withstand certain types of strobe or animation. I know Android has settings to disable animation; they don't disable animation.
There are tablets where you can work with a pen (active pen, that is, not one of those sausage type things).
Not sure what you mean by animation...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #58
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
There are tablets where you can work with a pen (active pen, that is, not one of those sausage type things).
It could help, if the screen isn't too slippery or too sensitive, and if the system doesn't rely on buttons positioned for dynamic grips. I would need to try it out.

Video-game-style controllers could also help, if they can connect during startup, and stay connected, without the hassle of syncing bluetooth all the time, and if they don't disable on-screen keyboards. I tried an Ipega 9023 but couldn't use it for these reasons. I think a usb-based system would work better.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by animation...
Uh... animation...? stuff that hurts and blinds and disorients and triggers migraines and sometimes vomiting...? strobing, zooming, parallax, and jitter are the worst. I tried an Android device with the developer settings to disable animation, and software which was supposed to reduce brightness, but I still encountered a lot of zooming animation in the main menu.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #59
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I do not have a laptop, I have the IPad and a desktop and I spend about equal time with the two. But I would say I spend most of my time with my kindle voyage that is were I do my reading.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #60
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I use my tablet 95% of the time at home, mostly for web browsing, watching videos, and reading ebooks. I pull out my laptop for websites that need a non-mobile interface or to do any writing or speadsheet work. I also add any new ebooks into calibre ever so often and that does need the laptop.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote