Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Kindle Spotted on Today Show

In a segment on reducing the weight of your handbag, the Kindle was displayed on today's Today show on NBC. Attached is a photo I took of the TV screen. I think they had intended to mention carrying an eBook reader as an alternative to heavier paper books. The guest did mention getting an iPhone as an alternative to cell phone + PDA + MP3 player. But, she got sidetracked into weighing purses held by women in the crowd and she never talked about the Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleToday.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	12371  
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Isn't that always the way?...

I still wish there was a way to go see one in a store somewhere... I know I'd be a lot more likely to buy one if I could at lease see it firsthand.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I still wish there was a way to go see one in a store somewhere... I know I'd be a lot more likely to buy one if I could at lease see it firsthand.
I'll be in Richmond, VA, from 4-7 May if you want to drive down and check my Kindle out. I'll even have one of your books loaded on it!

I bought my Kindle based on the web information and stuff I read here, knowing that Amazon offered a 30-day no-penalty return/refund option.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'll be in Richmond, VA, from 4-7 May if you want to drive down and check my Kindle out. I'll even have one of your books loaded on it!
Thanks for the offer, but I couldn't possibly get away, even on the weekend. This Spring is just burying me! Maybe I should just try the return/refund option, though... I didn't know about that.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem though is that the Kindle is on the new 3rd slot of the Today Show with Kathy Lee. It's the worst bit of TV next to Martha Stewart.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Hi Steve! Just FYI, I ordered my Kindle on Monday afternoon and got it yesterday afternoon (Wednesday). They are in stock right now. You'll know if you like it within hours or days, much less than 30 days, so if you have the money the risk is very slight if any.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
jams1fan
Kindled
jams1fan is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Treo 700p
After studying the specs and technology of the Kindle, I took the plunge and bought one. Received it in the 2 days promised and have not put it down since. Use is simple, the screen is beautiful to read, and books for free or purchase are plentiful. I will have something to read for a good, long while. The only minor con: reading in dim places. I've ordered the mighty light natural spectrum which I'm confident will complete my reading pleasure. I am definitely not the early adopter type, but I recommend this device highly. It has helped me fall in love with reading all over again.
jams1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Congratulations, jams1fan, and welcome to MobileRead. I got my Kindle when it first came out in November. I started reading a lot more. At first I thought it must be the novelty but here it is 6 months later and I still am. It's just so much easier to always have something I want to read with the Kindle. I also have that same booklight and it's quite nice. Great for reading in bed. Most of the time, a good lamp is all I need just like a regular book.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
jams1fan
Kindled
jams1fan is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Treo 700p
Thanks for the warm welcome, Alisa. I failed to mention also how much I have enjoyed this forum. It's a terrific place to visit to capture tips on use and just general e-book knowledge regardless of device. Thanks again! Anybody out there still hesitating to discover the world of e-book reading: go for it! There are other devices, but one just cannot beat the whispernet option - especially if one does not have difficulty with connectivity.
jams1fan is offline   Reply With Quote