Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Was in Shanghai yesterday and ebook readers were everywhere

I have not been to the major electronic mall in Shanghai for a while and I was surprised to see the amount of electronic books running on eink. When I came to the entrance, they had the usual stage set up with some usual bad dancing girls wearing hot pants and someone blasting on a microphone. Walking over to the stage, the product they were selling was an ebook reader. It was a Hanvon brand (never hear of it) and it was quite nice. It had a touch-sensitive screen which you could write on and it was quite sharp. Unfortunately, you could not change the default language to English so it was no good for me, and the price was very high. 3580 RMB or US 524$. When I went into the mall, they were everywhere. Different models were available as well for cheaper (saw one for 2100 RMB or US$307) but there were a lot of them for sale all over the place.

When I was there last year, nobody had any idea what I was talking about when I asked about book readers and now they were everywhere. Too bad the price is so steep though.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Judging by all the reports from CES and other shows, it seems that eInk readers are the current hot-ticket item among mid-sector Chinese manufacturers. It's difficult to know if this is just a bizarre fad or a genuine response to demand in China (or maybe they're this year's fashion item among the Chinese middle class).

Are Chinese publishers getting into ebooks in a big way?
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not too sure about the publishers, as this is China. They were advertising if you purchased the book reader, you will have access to tens of thousands of books, so I imagine it is all pirated. Nothing in English though that they mentioned.

When you go to a book store in China, you have to walk slowly due to the massive amounts of people sitting on the floor reading books, smoking away. And nobody seems to care. It really is a different mentality over here.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Tom Swift
Addict

Just found this link.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...&type=Business
Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I still haven't seen anyone else using one here in the Kansai region (Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe) of Japan, although several tourists I've run in to have asked me 'Is that a Kindle?' My Japanese friends do their reading on mobile phones and PDA's. I have two Japanese stories in my mobile phone but it's waaaay too difficult for me to try to decipher the characters at that font size.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Yeah, I was at CES this year and the number of ebook readers was crazy. But I think it's more like what the netbooks did when they came out. There's a market niche to be filled, and right now is the perfect time to fill it. But over time the market will settle down and a few key players will emerge. But for now ebook readers will be going huge.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
When I came to the entrance, they had the usual stage set up with some usual bad dancing girls wearing hot pants and someone blasting on a microphone.
Our shopping malls over here are definitely doing something very wrong ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Luckily Taiwan's ebook rage hasn't taken off yet, though there have been a few announcements full of pomp and the requisite feminine exploitation.

I hope most of the Taiwanese mass market can hold out until some better choices are around, as the stuff that's been announced and released thus far is fairly terrible, and traditional Chinese font display quality is even poorer than English.

Whenever I'm asked about mine, I make sure to tell Taiwanese people that it's a pretty poor quality technology, and it's best to not bother spending money on them now. Seems a lot of folks agree that they're not worth their prices yet, and the "prestige" of owning one is pretty much nil.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Luckily Taiwan's ebook rage hasn't taken off yet, though there have been a few announcements full of pomp and the requisite feminine exploitation.

I hope most of the Taiwanese mass market can hold out until some better choices are around, as the stuff that's been announced and released thus far is fairly terrible, and traditional Chinese font display quality is even poorer than English.

Whenever I'm asked about mine, I make sure to tell Taiwanese people that it's a pretty poor quality technology, and it's best to not bother spending money on them now. Seems a lot of folks agree that they're not worth their prices yet, and the "prestige" of owning one is pretty much nil.

If its such low quality why do you continue to use it? I mean, you must be using it if people are asking you about it.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My beef with ebooks is that I prefer to have the actual book in my hands. I deal with enough technology every day. I don't need to be fussing with something else technological while I'm trying to enjoy a book. During times like that I actually want to unplug rather than simply switch technologies.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
If its such low quality why do you continue to use it? I mean, you must be using it if people are asking you about it.
Yes, I still use it for some reading. Pretty much all the electronic reading I do, I either cannot buy locally or is disposable reading that I don't have enough space to store. I buy paper books when it's feasible, and use an ebook device when it's not. It's also pretty thin, which makes it easy to put in one of my smaller bags.

But it is still a low quality device, and not especially worthwhile. I'm a frivolous spender, and if I were more thrifty or practical, I would have ignored e-paper reader devices altogether. Besides, I'm too lazy to sell it, and I wouldn't want to subject anyone else to the frustrations and difficulties of ebooks.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yes, I still use it for some reading. Pretty much all the electronic reading I do, I either cannot buy locally or is disposable reading that I don't have enough space to store. I buy paper books when it's feasible, and use an ebook device when it's not. It's also pretty thin, which makes it easy to put in one of my smaller bags.

But it is still a low quality device, and not especially worthwhile. I'm a frivolous spender, and if I were more thrifty or practical, I would have ignored e-paper reader devices altogether. Besides, I'm too lazy to sell it, and I wouldn't want to subject anyone else to the frustrations and difficulties of ebooks.
You are an honest man. I respect that. I recognize that the display is more like newsprint than a paperback, but the portability trumps that concern for me.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

LDBoblo: I agree that the quality kinda sucks in general. However, it's somewhat of a tradeoff between portability with long battery and ease of reading. The next generation ebook readers will have the new and improved 7th generation eink displays (I think that's right. bob barry might know for certain) which go a long ways towards improved quality without loss of portability or battery life. The 7th gen screens I believe are also color if I remember right.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
LDBoblo: I agree that the quality kinda sucks in general. However, it's somewhat of a tradeoff between portability with long battery and ease of reading. The next generation ebook readers will have the new and improved 7th generation eink displays (I think that's right. bob barry might know for certain) which go a long ways towards improved quality without loss of portability or battery life. The 7th gen screens I believe are also color if I remember right.
E-Ink is just one brand of EPDs, now part of the company PVI. Before they make color available either at the end of this year or early next, there may be other alternatives around (both in terms of EPDs, which I'm not a fan of, and other, likely superior e-paper technologies), and PVI/E-Ink will likely have an intermediate step in the form of a higher-contrast monochrome screen. A higher resolution TFT backplane would be great, and speed is crucial. I don't know if EPDs will ever really be fast enough, but they're working on it.

Certainly future generations of ebook readers will get more and more promising, and with any luck, the software will develop for them too, as that's also disturbingly primitive right now.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
They might have e-readers everywhere but I wonder what kinds of material are available for those e-readers?

Easy to get chairman Mao's memoirs, but difficult to get the Dalai Lamas autobiography I suspect!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote