Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #1411
brofeelgood
brofeelgood began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, PW4
I'm happy to report CM works on 5.8.9 (Kindle PW3) as expected.

Thanks for your help ADambi, my day just got a whole lot better!
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #1412
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofeelgood View Post
I'm happy to report CM works on 5.8.9 (Kindle PW3) as expected.

Thanks for your help ADambi, my day just got a whole lot better!
At what FW level did you do your jailbreak. I'm already at 5.8.9 on a PW3 and haven't done a jailbreak yet.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #1413
brofeelgood
brofeelgood began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
At what FW level did you do your jailbreak. I'm already at 5.8.9 on a PW3 and haven't done a jailbreak yet.
I'm afraid you're out of luck mate. There isn't a way to jailbreak 5.8.9 as yet. If someone does find a way around it, it'll probably be announced in the following thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=286974

The sequence I went through was 5.8.1 ➜ 5.7.4 + jailbreak ➜ 5.8.7 ➜ 5.8.9.
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #1414
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I'm afraid you're out of luck mate. There isn't a way to jailbreak 5.8.9 as yet. If someone does find a way around it, it'll probably be announced in the following thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=286974

Another likely place to watch (or subscribe to) would be:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275881
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #1415
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If I read that correctly, you downgraded your FW then did the jailbreak. It didn't know that was possible. I am willing to downgrade my FW if possible.
Advert
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #1416
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I read that correctly, you downgraded your FW then did the jailbreak. It didn't know that was possible. I am willing to downgrade my FW if possible.
It is not possible from 5.8.8.x or 5.8.9.x

Why would you trust directions on this site when you refuse to believe what you are told here?
Did you open and read the 'Credits' spoiler in the first post of the current jailbreak?
The current one did not happen by accident and its requirements are very well known.

Last edited by knc1; 07-10-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #1417
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is not possible from 5.8.8.x or 5.8.9.x

Why would you trust directions on this site when you refuse to believe what you are told here?
Did you open and read the 'Credits' spoiler in the first post of the current jailbreak?
The current one did not happen by accident and its requirements are very well known.
Not trying to be difficult but it was my recollection I couldn't jailbreak my FW, yes. Than I saw the user downgrading his FW before jailbreaking, so I had to ask.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #1418
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Not trying to be difficult but it was my recollection I couldn't jailbreak my FW, yes. Than I saw the user downgrading his FW before jailbreaking, so I had to ask.
Also notice his starting point was 5.8.1 which is < 5.8.7
Old 07-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #1419
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Also notice his starting point was 5.8.1 which is < 5.8.7
Yes, you're right.

BTW, is your avatar a Lil' Abner character?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #1420
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yes, you're right.

BTW, is your avatar a Lil' Abner character?
Based on part of one, personalized.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:56 AM   #1421
Sunny66
Sunny66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Gen 8 (KT3)
Hi there everyone!
I think I have "fubar"ed my Kindle Gen 8. Here is what I have done. I was on FW 5.8.9... I downgraded so that I could jail break it. Downgrade was only to 5.8.0 but it worked fine and I am now Jail Broken. I then tried to install the Collections Manager file from this post and it says of course that I am running 5.8.0 which is not supported by this version of Collections Manager.

I saw in a post a little ways back, that someone got it working in 5.8.9 using a patch provided. I was very excited! I am not a developer and I am not sure how to apply the patch to get this working, but I have hope now. However...

Even if I wanted to get it working, I am no longer able to update my kindle. I tried to put the higher version of the FW back in the root folder, but my "update your kindle" is now greyed out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get out of this mess I created? I just wanted to be able to import my collections from Calibre onto my kindle. Seemed so simple at the time.
Sunny66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:42 AM   #1422
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny66 View Post
Hi there everyone!
I think I have "fubar"ed my Kindle Gen 8. Here is what I have done. I was on FW 5.8.9... I downgraded so that I could jail break it. Downgrade was only to 5.8.0 but it worked fine and I am now Jail Broken. I then tried to install the Collections Manager file from this post and it says of course that I am running 5.8.0 which is not supported by this version of Collections Manager.

I saw in a post a little ways back, that someone got it working in 5.8.9 using a patch provided. I was very excited! I am not a developer and I am not sure how to apply the patch to get this working, but I have hope now. However...

Even if I wanted to get it working, I am no longer able to update my kindle. I tried to put the higher version of the FW back in the root folder, but my "update your kindle" is now greyed out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get out of this mess I created? I just wanted to be able to import my collections from Calibre onto my kindle. Seemed so simple at the time.
Your description does not make any sense to me.
You must have left out some steps that you took.

So start over, post a link to the directions you where following and the link to the firmware you used to 'downgrade' your 5.8.9 firmware (which should not have been possible, unless ... )

I.E: We fix your kindle before deciding how you are going to maintain your collections.
(Which is sort of hard to do on a broken Kindle.)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #1423
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny66 View Post
Hi there everyone!

Please double check your firmware. Let's make sure that downgrade actually took.
Most definitely link to the directions you used.
You may have found the missing element.
Dumb question: were you on 5.8.9 or 5.8.9.0.1?
Country of origin too please.
Also the first 6 of the serial number will be a help.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #1424
jangell2
Addict

I am really interested in the process Sunny66 used. I think it's likely we'll discover he wasn't on 5.8.9 but something earlier, but I can hope.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #1425
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I am really interested in the process Sunny66 used. I think it's likely we'll discover he wasn't on 5.8.9 but something earlier, but I can hope.
Don't get too excited (yet).
We are still trying to confirm what happened.

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks