Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
paulpod
paulpod began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mobipocket Creator stoped working

Hi there

I have recently had to wipe and reinstall windows on my PC, and upon reisntalling mobi pocket creator, have found it does not work! I have windows 7 64bit and mobi pocket used to work perfectly before. Now, after i install and open it i get the window in the attatched screen shot, and can do nothing from there.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	75540  
paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Did you re-install from a copy you had burned to a disk or did you re-download a copy of the program? Either way I'd try uninstalling and re-installing a fresh copy as the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that your present copy of the program either didn't burn right to the disk you had burned it to or it didn't download properly when you redownloaded it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
paulpod

yeh i tried re-installing and re downloading with no effect.
I also created an admin login which seemed to work in that it opened the program and appeared to allow me to convert pdfs to mobi but in actual fact it came up with errors and only created an ocr, not a mobi
Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Hmm. When you say you wiped the computer did you do a complete reformat and then reload the OS on your computer or just do a restore? I'm thinking that something may either have become corrupted, didn't install right or you don't have something installed that you did before depending on which you did.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
paulpod

it was a complete re format
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

When installing and upgrading windows 7 did you install the Internet Explorer 9 upgrade?

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
IE9 is the problem...

Well actually it's Mobipocket Creator that is the problem, since Mobipocket got Borged by Amazon the software hasn't been updated, since about 2005 that is.
Creator is heavily dependent on some MS proprietry 'features' in older versions of IE, which even MS no longer support.
The only solution that I have found is to downgrade to IE7 or 8, which I wouldn't reccommend for security reasons.
The only ways I have found to create Kindle content since the demise of creator are Amazon's Kindlegen (a distinctly unfriendly command-line tool. See: - http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621) or Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/.
Unfortunately neither option gives anything like the degree of control that Creator used to and neither will accept word .docs as input.
I have found that the best results are obtained by creating an epub and then converting that in Calibre.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
I had the same issues, and changed to using Sigil to create an epub, then Calibre to convert to Mobi. I think this combination actually gives you more control and works better than using Mobipocket Creator.
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
I had the same issues, and changed to using Sigil to create an epub
That's what I meant by 'Create an epub'.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A solution to the strange Creator problem - at least with XP - has been posted on here before; not sure if it helps with Windows 7.
Briefly, back up the registry, or at least the affected keys.
Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones and delete the parasite zone which appears before zone 0. (Click the plus symbol to the left of the Zones key; the zones appear underneath it, not in the right-hand panel).
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote