Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
lotusmonk
lotusmonk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Cheapest way to get PRS950 to Europe?

Hello fellow eBook readers,
I´ve tried out the Sony reader daily edition (PRS-950sc) today, and it seems like the most appropriate device for my needs.
It is a LOT pricey (cca 530dollars / 400 eur) here in Czech Republic, so I wanted to ask, whether you know of any cheaper way of getting it here - perhaps some nice price offers (something like the 199dollar offer I missed out in december).

Any info where to look will be greatly appreciated!
lotusmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Not sure about the price (depends on country /customs) but bhphotovideo ships to most countries in the world (and also has a tax calculator).
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
the 199 price was a mistake, but i managed to order it when it was $249 payed $49 for shipping to finland and got lucky on tax.. you probably wont get luck with tax, but if you have someone ship it as a "gift" customs wont tax you and you might get it for maybe $299+$50 for shipping. Just ordered a sony cover without light for it and waiting for it, cost about $50 with shipping
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
lotusmonk
lotusmonk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
but if you have someone ship it as a "gift" customs wont tax you and you might get it for maybe $299+$50 for shipping.
That´s actually quite a reasonable price. I´ll try to find some friends of friends that are in US

a side question: does it come with a cover or will I have to buy it extra?
lotusmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Why would anyone in the right mind from Europe, want the Sony PRS 950, when you guys got the Pocket Book 903 and Asus DR900 with more features and open flexibility.

Crazy talk
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
Why would anyone in the right mind from Europe, want the Sony PRS 950, when you guys got the Pocket Book 903 and Asus DR900 with more features and open flexibility.
Pocket B... seriously?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
liv*
liv* began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Crazy talk
Pearl Screen? Not having the beta-test every second feature which was promised?

--

lotusmonk, sadly, there isn't a cover included, as far as I know.
liv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Crazy talk

Because no one in their right mind would seriously putting a PB903 with its problematic firmware and stylus only touchscreen in the same league as a Sony.

Only thing crazy here is your comment
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Take it from a current user of PRS 950, it isn't exactly nirvana here either. Just take a look at the PRS 950 Issues Thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111502

My next upgrade will very likely be Pocket Book 903, I'm tired of missing out on:

-multi-language Text2Speech
-Bluetooth (good for PAN tethering (free data) with Bluetooth Only Cell Phones)(tho PAN -profile functionality is unconfirmed)
-Applications: calculator, calendar, etc
-out of the box multi-language support & easily add fonts
-download direct in Browser
-user changeable 3G SIM
-folder support

Trade offs are minimal:
-Wacom stylus (PB903) vs InfraRed sensor

Problematic Firmware? At least that tiny company updates theirs unlike multi-billion $$ Bood sucking Sony that only bundles updates with next generation hardware in other words NO updates. tsk tsk

I've used PRS505>PRS600>PRS950 and Things never change with their overpriced, yet undersupported Sony products

Last edited by jessie102; 01-09-2011 at 10:49 PM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Take it from a current user of PRS 950, it isn't exactly nirvana here either. Just take a look at the PRS 950 Issues Thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111502

My next upgrade will very likely be Pocket Book 903, I'm tired of missing out on:

-Bluetooth (good for PAN tethering (free data) with Bluetooth Only Cell Phones)(tho PAN -profile functionality is unconfirmed)
-user changeable 3G SIM
-folder support

Trade offs are minimal:

Problematic Firmware? At least that tiny company updates theirs unlike multi-billion $$ Bood sucking Sony that only bundles updates with next generation hardware in other words NO updates. tsk tsk

I've used PRS505>PRS600>PRS950 and Things never change with their overpriced, yet undersupported Sony products
I like Pocketbook due to their friendly customer support here on mobileread, but I do not see that it works out in the end. There is a thread on the German board of a PB302 owner who says he and other users had a bunch of
bug that never where fixed and now they have the new models out with a bunch of bug, too. Sounds exactly like your complaint with Sony to me.

And the things you are looking for are not exactly what an ereader is meant to be able to. For me it sounds like you'd do better with a tablet. I do have a calendar and calculator in my cell phone, have some brains to work with, too and do not need to impress anyone on the park bench by downloading the latest bestseller via 3G. Right now I have a 150 books stored on my little Sony, which means I could go for two years without any shortage.

BTW that stylus thing for example is a deal breaker for me. Page turning with a swipe of my finger makes it the most natural reading experience for me and the Sony software is very intuitive.

The way I see it, I got a very good device for the price I paid (180€)! It does perfectly what it is meant to do.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Different strokes for different folks... all your reasons are equally a list of things that I could care less about... I want an eReader to read books on... my PRS+ modded 505 and 600 do this perfectly as do the 350 and 650... your needs are obviously important to you but for many peoplewould be pointless fluff... each to his/her own...

Quote:

-user changeable 3G SIM
-folder support

Trade offs are minimal:

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Different strokes for different folks... all your reasons are equally a list of things that I could care less about... I want an eReader to read books on... my PRS+ modded 505 and 600 do this perfectly as do the 350 and 650... your needs are obviously important to you but for many peoplewould be pointless fluff... each to his/her own...
I agree.. the only feature in the list jessie posted that is of any interest to me is multi language support.. and even that is only of marginal interest.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Quote:

Crazy talk
Well, someone in their right mind would see the difference between a sony reader and a pocket book.. the size for one is much more comfortable for reading, and fits perfectly in my pocket. I never considered the PB especially after the youtube videos giving the first demos of the unit. Who in their right mind would get a reader to listen to a robotic voice.. the ipod shuffle is for audiobooks, try comparing the size of a shuffle to a PB or Asus DR900 and then tell me if the people who chose the 950 for their best all round reader are in their right mind or not
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
I didn't bother reading all the comments after the first complaint, I want a reader, period, I don't want calendar, tweeter or face book. I went with the 950 because I loved the 7". I have tried just about all the main readers out there and I still like the Sony, the higher price gives you an items that screams "built to last".

My opinion, getting tired of everyone loving to put down Sony.

Last edited by Maggie-Me; 01-15-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Go Maggie-Me, get what you want. Hey, perhaps Sony is the new Apple for the "I have to knock somebody" groups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
I didn't bother reading all the comments after the first complaint, I want a reader, period, I don't want calender, tweeter or face book. I went with the 950 because I loved the 7". I have tried just about all the main readers out there and I still like the Sony, the higher price give you an items that screams "built to last".

My opinion, getting tired of everyone loving to put down Sony.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote