Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
plasticslug
plasticslug began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Do you feel Ebook cases are extremely overpriced?

I have been searching for a reasonably priced case for my reader and have found some ridiculously priced cases. Especially when most are not even real leather and are made of cheap materials.

I have even considered making my own....

So what did you guys do to protect your reader?
I am the Sony PRS-350
plasticslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
For the most part yes. There are some VERY good covers that run about $70 that I think are worth the price, they are all hand made leather etc...but like the B&N covers in the store that run $40 or more, yeah right, I got mine for $20 after shipping from Bundle Monster on eBay, got a case, skin, and screen protector
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
There's alot of expensive cases out there and a ton of cheap ones. I believe you get what you pay for. For me, I wasn't comfortable with relying on an inexpensive, thin, pleather cover or sleeve for protecting my reader. I chose an Oberon cover which is nice, thick, durable leather which can withstand some regular abuse.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
For my Kindle the prices for covers run from $125 to $19.99. I don't believe you get what you pay for since some are selling cool. It's like my neighbor who saw my Kindle arriving and said, "I'd rather have an IPad because everyone will know you're cool." Go for it. Personally, a $125 case for a $139 product doesn't say you're cool. It says you're not bright.

A few years ago I bought some coffee and it came in a cloth bag. The bag was too nice to throw in the trash and I thought, "I might use it some day." Six years later I got my K3 and remembered the bag. Almost a perfect fit. Then I bought a cheap piece of corkboard, cut it to fit the sack to give it some rigidity and to offer a but of protection. That's my case.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A few years ago I heard that the iPod accessory market had reached a huge milestone - a billion dollars - for accessories. (22 million ipods sold in 1 year + $45 in accessories per ipod).

So the prices for covers are artificially high right now because all the add-on companies are trying to make bucks.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I think some of them are way overpriced. I don't have many options for my Kobo. I have it in a sleeve right now that cost me $30 and it really doesn't protect it from anything other than scratches. Chapters is finally carrying a hard cover but of course the one I want is $45. Maybe I just have expensive taste
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
When a new reader first appears it seems like the companies that produce the reader try to gouge the consumer with high priced accessories. As competition emerges, this becomes apparent.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Yes, they are way too expensive. I bought an m-edge latitude cover for my DX and was really glad I did, because it had all the bells & whistles I needed and offered a lot of protection. But when my K3 came, I waited to see what would be offered. Did buy a slipcover from etsy, here, just to tide me over. But so far I've been put off by how much everything costs to buy something more substantial. I'll keep an eye out for the after-Christmas sales, though.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
I just bought a Javoedge for my Nook. Their prices seem more reasonable than some of the others and the quality is impressive, particularly for the price.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I think some of them are way overpriced. I don't have many options for my Kobo. I have it in a sleeve right now that cost me $30 and it really doesn't protect it from anything other than scratches. Chapters is finally carrying a hard cover but of course the one I want is $45. Maybe I just have expensive taste
Pookseysgirl, I bought a very nice case on eBay for about $19 (delivered). If you look through the Kobo forum there is a thread there on cases.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
I bought my Kindle cover for $15 shipped. My wife just won an eBay auction for the same cover and only paid $5 shipping. They're both faux leather with cheap integrated stands and do their job well.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I'm all for the cheapy cases. I have one I bought on Ebay for my K3 that cost about $15. It works great! I don't see the point in spending $60+ on a case for an electronic device that only costs $140.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Keep searching. I found covers for both my Kobo and Kindle for under $20. They come and go, so if you find one, grab it. Actually bought the Kindle covers from Amazon, but I seem to remember having to find a backdoor entryway to the listing, as it didn't come up under a regular product search.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I picked up a nice leather Kobo cover via eBay that cost me around AU$35. It is sturdy and protects my Kobo well.

At the other end of the spectrum, I paid AU$80 for an M-edge platform cover via Amazon (the postage was a killer).

My wife has one of her JBL's in a customised handmade sleeve that was well worth the cost simply because it is a one off. Her everyday JBL resides in a hard zip-up case from Smiggle.

You buy what you can afford or are willing to pay. But in the end adequate protection for your device sometimes leaves no room for compromise, especially if there are limited options available.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticslug View Post
I have been searching for a reasonably priced case for my reader and have found some ridiculously priced cases. Especially when most are not even real leather and are made of cheap materials.

I have even considered making my own....

So what did you guys do to protect your reader?
I am the Sony PRS-350

Check out Best Buy-

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...s&nrp=15&iht=n

That's not too bad. They have them for the Touch Edition, too
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote