Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
anleva
Enthusiast
anleva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Convert hyperlinks to plain text

What's the best way to convert hyperlinks to plain text in my recipes? I often accidentally touch a hyperlink in my Kindle when turning pages and it tries to then bring up a browser to the link. I'd rather just remove all the hyperlinks if possible.
anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use postprocess_html and simply remove the href attribute from all <a> tags.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
anleva
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use postprocess_html and simply remove the href attribute from all <a> tags.
This is definitely a bit beyond me as I am not very knowledgeable about python or HTML. Here is what I came up with, but it doesn't seem to do it. What's missing?

def postprocess_html(self, soup):
for a in soup.findAll('a', href=True):
del a['href']
return soup

Last edited by anleva; 03-28-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

postprocess_html takes two arguments, otherwise it looks fine.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
anleva
Enthusiast

Quote:
postprocess_html takes two arguments, otherwise it looks fine.
I changed it to the following and added it to my recipe, no hyperlinks were removed. They were not removed in the previous version either. What's wrong with the code?

def postprocess_html(self, soup, first_fetch):
for a in soup.findAll('a', href=True):
del a['href']
return soup
Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You probably got the indentation level wrong.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
anleva
Enthusiast

Quote:
You probably got the indentation level wrong.
Is this right?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, the indentation of the entire postprocess_html method needs to be increased by one level so that it belongs to the class
Old 03-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
anleva
Enthusiast

kovidgoyal, you are the man! That worked. Thanks for your patience, I am learning much along the way.

anleva