Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
zhuowei
zhuowei began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arctic: root the Kobo Arc on-device, no USB connection needed

For the impatient:

http://zhuoweizhang.net/Arctic.apk

Basically, this uses the vulnerability discovered by the Android Security Squad (http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_be6dacae0101bksm.html) to replace a system package - in this case, the Dark Knight status bar service that doesn't appear to be used anywhere.

Other root methods, such as Cydia Impactor, can also take advantage of this bug (which isn't patched on the Arc, unlike the first master key bug), however, they require a connection over USB to operate. Arctic uses the tablet's built-in factory test code to install su.

All credits go to the Android Security Squad and Saurik for finding and describing the bug, and to Chainfire for his SuperSU application included in the install.

To use, install the APK (make sure to enable installation from unknown sources - you might also need to disable app verification, although I didn't need to), and launch Arctic.

Another installation screen for Kobo Status Bar Service should pop up.

Agree and install, and after the install completes, you should have root.

Reboot if SuperSU doesn't show up. (If it still doesn't show up, try installing it from Google Play)

Source code: https://github.com/zhuowei/arctic
zhuowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
el_rico
el_rico began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
That's great! So, does it open a path for alternative ROM, such as Cyanogen Mod?

Also, have you been able to test USB OTG on a rooted device?
el_rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
zhuowei
zhuowei began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_rico View Post
That's great! So, does it open a path for alternative ROM, such as Cyanogen Mod?

Also, have you been able to test USB OTG on a rooted device?
I don't own an Arc myself - I've been testing this on a store display unit.

I don't know whether the bootloader of the Arc require signed images or not, so I can't comment on alternate ROMs.
zhuowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Does it work on ICS and JB? Anyone reconfigured their Arc with standard launcher, browser, patched the status bar config in JB, etc?
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
xenupuppy
xenupuppy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Does it work on ICS and JB?
Works on JB. I use Total Commander, which has extra functionality on rooted devices. Previously when I attempted to enable this, I received an error message that my Arc was not rooted. Not anymore. When I attempted to enable it earlier today, I succeeded . I also have a root prompt in a terminal session.

@zhuowei: Thanks and
xenupuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
cool-d
cool-d began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenupuppy View Post
Works on JB. I use Total Commander, which has extra functionality on rooted devices. Previously when I attempted to enable this, I received an error message that my Arc was not rooted. Not anymore. When I attempted to enable it earlier today, I succeeded . I also have a root prompt in a terminal session.

@zhuowei: Thanks and
I have followed all the instructions of the first post with success but the SU icon didn't appear so I installed it from the store and tried to install an app called Root Checker to verify my root access and I received an error message that my tablet was not rooted too, what did you change to succeed the operation? Could you help me please?

Last edited by cool-d; 08-13-2013 at 03:25 PM.
cool-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2402769

Second post contains the arctic apk. Download it and reboot.the SU app wont appear until after reboot.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
cool-d

I am a newbie in Android world and i dont understand why it's not working. I've downloaded the file, put it in my download folder in my device. Then when i launch my device i've gone with the finder to the download folder to launch the apk file. The arctic apk began the installation and arrived automatically a new installer called kobo statut bar which i completed too. I've switched off my device and switched on again and then nothing appeared... So i've downloaded the su app on the store which said me that my device was not rooted. Could you help me please?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you download this directly to the device. Go to the link for the arctic apk on your kobo and download it on to your kobo
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
cool-d

I've tried again even directly on my kobo arc and that didn't work. Maybe i am not in the same version as you are (android 4.1.1) but i don't know what happened to unsuccess. Would it be possible for someone to show me in a video tutorial? It would be very great and coud help some of us who didn't success...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
stevov
Groupie

Which link are you using. The github link at the start of this thread or the one from the xda link.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
cool-d

I used the github link but i will try the other from xda and i will let you know
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
stevov
Groupie

I used the xda link. The guys on there don't miss much.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #14
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Hello,

how to "unroot" the Arc if necessary ?...

Thanks for your answer.
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
stevov
Groupie

Factory reset I would think. The only problem might be the SU application. The other way would be to install the ICS downgrade to get rid of the root and update to JB