Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
gioele
gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Ultra-thin cover for Kobo (Aura HD). Finally!

It looks like somebody at Kobo heard us: the new Kobo Aura HD will have a slim cover, a-la Kindle.

«The ultra-thin, lightweight Kobo SleepCover turns your Kobo Aura HD on and off as you open and close the cover. The Leather Folio encases Kobo Aura HD and features an interior pocket. Both come in luxurious, full-grain leather and a choice of colours to fit your personal style.»

Let's hope Kobo release the same cover for Kobo Glo.

Has anybody had the chance to play with this new cover? Are there videos or pictures around?
gioele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma

grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma

grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Light weight may be relative ... looking around for specs on the covers yesterday I found one site listing the sleep cover as being 180g. I can't remember just where though, and such an early listing may or may not be accurate. I didn't see weight specs listed for the covers on the Kobo site.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
gioele
gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.gioele knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I found one site listing the sleep cover as being 180g
Is that the weight of the sleep cover for the Kobo Glo? In that case, they are honest and do not even claim it to be light-weight.

On the other hand, if that weight refers to the new cover for the Aura HD…
gioele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioele View Post
Is that the weight of the sleep cover for the Kobo Glo? In that case, they are honest and do not even claim it to be light-weight.

On the other hand, if that weight refers to the new cover for the Aura HD…
It was for the Aura sleep cover. However, it may be that the weight spec was lifted from the Glo cover if that is what it weighs. Honestly, most sites I found it did not list weight for the Aura HD covers at all, including Kobo (which I felt was rather an oversight), so this may not be accurate.

If it is though, then weight of the reader and cover will be around 14.5 oz. A little on the heavy side, but I think I can live with it, since I'll keep a couple Sony readers for on the go use.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I used to use a cover for my 650 but never again. I took it off a year ago and never had a problem. It's so much nicer to be able to read without that flap in the way and without all the extra weight. And paying $40 for a device that only costs $130 is just crazy.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard

Well, I myself like covers, makes a device feel more like a book to me and also helps me holds it. Further, with cats, I can quickly protect my screen by shutting the cover.

I do agree they add weight, but in the instance of the Sony lighted covers, they also add light when I need it.

Some folks are going to like having a cover, some folks are not. I do think covers are generally overpriced, but to me a cover is well worth having and hence my order.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, I would not be able to take my Reader with me without a cover. So a cover is a necessity.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, I would not be able to take my Reader with me without a cover. So a cover is a necessity.
I'm with you, a reader goes everywhere with me, a cover is a good thing! Keeps it safe from other stuff in my bag.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I'm with you, a reader goes everywhere with me, a cover is a good thing! Keeps it safe from other stuff in my bag.
Exactly. I don't want the screen scratched or something to damage the Reader because it's unprotected.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
On the plus side, the new sleep cover is working quite well on my Aura
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Got my Aura HD sleep cover yesterday morning (still waiting on my Aura to arrive). I must confess that I do not like the plastic back cover. When I ordered if from WHSmith UK it was described as 100% leather, made no reference to the plastic back. Hmmmm, given the £39.99 cost, I am a somewhat disappointed. I am guessing that the reason that the plastic back is not covered in leather, is to preserve the ergonomic? design of the back and also to keep the weight and bulk of the cover to minimum level possible.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
Got my Aura HD sleep cover yesterday morning (still waiting on my Aura to arrive). I must confess that I do not like the plastic back cover. When I ordered if from WHSmith UK it was described as 100% leather, made no reference to the plastic back. Hmmmm, given the £39.99 cost, I am a somewhat disappointed. I am guessing that the reason that the plastic back is not covered in leather, is to preserve the ergonomic? design of the back and also to keep the weight and bulk of the cover to minimum level possible.
I was surprised to see that the Aura cover from Kobo has the same back design as the Aura itself. So far I like cover, and it seems to function as intended - puts the device to sleep when closed & wakes it up when opened. My only complaint is that the leather on the front of the cover is very soft & easily gets scratched while in my bag. But I'd rather the cover take the scratches than the Aura screen!!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
It would drive me nuts having a cover on my Kobo. I have one of the Kobo sleeves that I use for when I travel with my Kobo but I would not want to have that flap in the way everytime I read.
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote