Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Some people read so they can hate

This was a conclusion I came to after accidently coming upon a woman who reads so she can bitch about it. Excuse my language but that's what it is.
This person (who I don't know) has 172 ratings on goodreads with 2.8 average rate. 65 out of those 164 (read books) are 1 and 2 stars very negative, very complaining in nature reviews. That is 39.6% of the books she has read, she absolutely hated them.

My mind was blown.

Why the hell would you read to hate? And don't you have enough experience and sense to choose books for you which you WILL like?

This is especially true of fantasy books she read because that genre is interesting to me.

1 star books include

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)

I wont even list them all, or the other 2 star reviews that aren't any better. Clearly this women doesn't like fantasy. Why the hell is she keep reading it??

She is presumptuous, arrogant and ultra hard core (lol) feminist in her reviews. I honestly felt confused by her understanding of female characters. According to what I read from her, all female characters should be strong, independent, nonsexual creatures that turn men into pulp at the first sign of flirtatious behavior or god forbid sexual act.
(I'm a girl btw, but this kind of thinking blows my mind)

Have any of you come across this kind of reader? What do you think about this? I'm mostly just confused

Last edited by Geralt; 03-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
There's a few of them like that on Goodreads. I just ignore it after chuckling at their reviews. There's also the morality brigade on there. All worried that their kids or even other adults will be corrupted by the books with drinking, drugs, sex or violence in them.

I feel bad for kids with parents like that. I was not really policed at all with my reading once I passed the age of 12.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My mother must read every book she starts. Often she complains about a book ad finitum. I tell her life is to short, just read something else, but she is compelled to finish them.

The person in question hated 64 out of 172 books, about 30%, which doesn't seem outrageous if she is adventurous in her reading. Higher than me as 90% of my reading is stuff I know I will like.

Too many books, too little time.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's easier to generate network traffic with piss and vinegar than roses.

I don't remember what rule number that is, but negativity sells at least for traffic.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
She is presumptuous, arrogant and ultra hard core (lol) feminist in her reviews. I honestly felt confused by her understanding of female characters. According to what I read from her, all female characters should be strong, independent, nonsexual creatures that turn men into pulp at the first sign of flirtatious behavior or god forbid sexual act.
(I'm a girl btw, but this kind of thinking blows my mind)
Reminds me of a Devil's Panties strip. SFW, I might add.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have read books that I disliked so that I could have a proper, well-informed dislike of the book. But generally, I usually filter out books that I am not likely to enjoy.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I can agree that reading one or two books in a genre to find whether I like the genre or not is adventurous. Continuing to read books in the genre after you find you don't like it is just plain crazy.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Hard to say much of anything without seeing this individual's profile for ourselves.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
There's a few of them like that on Goodreads. I just ignore it after chuckling at their reviews. There's also the morality brigade on there. All worried that their kids or even other adults will be corrupted by the books with drinking, drugs, sex or violence in them.

I feel bad for kids with parents like that. I was not really policed at all with my reading once I passed the age of 12.
I ignored it too until this one. Goodreads serves me for list organization, nothing more. But this one surprised me I guess.

I too was never censored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The person in question hated 64 out of 172 books, about 30%, which doesn't seem outrageous if she is adventurous in her reading. Higher than me as 90% of my reading is stuff I know I will like.

Too many books, too little time.
She has 172 ratings, but she only read 164 books. And its 65 of those that are 1 star or 2 stars, which make 39% not 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's easier to generate network traffic with piss and vinegar than roses.
I don't remember what rule number that is, but negativity sells at least for traffic.
She doesn't work for goodreads though, so I don't see this as publicity stunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Reminds me of a Devil's Panties strip. SFW, I might add.
lol, good one. Kinda accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I can agree that reading one or two books in a genre to find whether I like the genre or not is adventurous. Continuing to read books in the genre after you find you don't like it is just plain crazy.
Bingo. That's what threw me off the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Hard to say much of anything without seeing this individual's profile for ourselves.
I don't care for discussing this individual, I'm more interested in this kind of behavior. She's not an isolated case I think.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
If you're the type of person that finishes every book you start, and you review most, if not all the books you read, then you're bound to have a higher percentage of books that you dislike or even hate than people who give up on a book after a certain amount of pages. For the woman cited in the OP, it's not as if every book she reads is given a 1-2 star rating. The majority of the books she reviews still have a three star or higher rating. So I don't get how she is reading to hate. Are all the books she reads suppose to have glowing reviews?

I like chick lit. So I decided to see how many chick lit books I had given a low rating to. It turns out that I've 39% of chick lit I've read a 1 or 2 star rating. This doesn't mean I don't like books in that genre though. Maybe it's a high number because I've read more of those books and hence I've had a better chance of encountering books in this genre that grind my gears for whatever reason.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have read books that I disliked so that I could have a proper, well-informed dislike of the book.

I have the opposite problem. I've read books convinced that I would dislike them and wanted to develop a well-informed dislike of them. I ended up liking them. Well, there was one exception ...

As others have mentioned, it is far easier to put down a book that you don't like. Or simply to avoid picking it up again, which is what I usually end up doing.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
Lucky you. My mom tried to get Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends removed from my school library when it came out.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I like chick lit. So I decided to see how many chick lit books I had given a low rating to. It turns out that I've 39% of chick lit I've read a 1 or 2 star rating. This doesn't mean I don't like books in that genre though.
I dont get this. Sorry, but 40% of the books you read, you dont like/hate? That's a waste of time and sorry to say but it doesn't look like you are choosing well, if you say you like chick lit.
If you like it so much, why are you not enjoying it?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
She has 172 ratings, but she only read 164 books. And its 65 of those that are 1 star or 2 stars, which make 39% not 30.
Only read 164 *that she mentioned on Goodreads.* My Goodreads profile doesn't contain any of the books I've read in the last few years because I find it a nuisance to fill out.

She may only bother to enter books she cares to say something about. And that something may be negative, a lot of the time. She may not bother to even mention books about which she thought "meh, was okay, but I'm going to forget I even read it in six months."

She may only review books she likes, books she hates, and books she finds interesting even if they're somewhere in the middle.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just checked my GR stats. Average rating is 2.65 but I am rather critical to the point of snobbish.

20% of my reads are 1 and 2-stars.

In addition, I have a greater number of abandoned titles most receiving 1-star ratings.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote