Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Samsung 8.9 vs 7.7

I'm looking at upgrading my NC CM7 and have decided on either the Galaxy Tab 8.9 or the Galaxy Tab 7.7. Is anyone using the 8.9 as a reader? It has the same dimensions as a hardback book and weighs the same as my NC. Is it comfortable to hold while reading for 2 hours? I really want the 7.7 but the wifi only hasn't been released in the US and I'm tired of waiting which means I'll have to go through an importer.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I love my Galaxy tab 8.9 For me it' s a perfect balance between screen estate and weight. I can read for hours on it with Kindle for Android or Mantano.

As you said, it's like reading a harcover- size book.

What I do not like is its inability to connect with Calibre via USB because it connects with PC as MTP. I can't use Calibre's content server as my laptop wifi is restricted by my company.

Cannot comment on tab 7.7 as I have not seen it in actual.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I couldn't tell you since I don't have either but I can talk about the screen since I do have a Galaxy S.

The 7.7 is the only tablet today with Super AMOLED plus, the plus means it's not pentile. This makes it the most vivid screen with a rich dark black color. Reading on AMOLED screens an night is fantastic, since AMOLED is not backlit there is no glowing. I do belive there is a WIFI, when I poked around on the net there where several stores selling the WIFI version

The 8.9 has the same screen resolution as the 7.7 but is an LCD.

Here is a video comparing the two

and a review
G 7.7 Review

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 03-14-2012 at 08:35 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I couldn't tell you since I don't have either but I can talk about the screen since I do have a Galaxy S.

The 7.7 is the only tablet today with Super AMOLED plus, the plus means it's not pentile. This makes it the most vivid screen with a rich dark black color. Reading on AMOLED screens an night is fantastic, since AMOLED is not backlit there is no glowing. I do belive there is a WIFI, when I poked around on the net there where several stores selling the WIFI version

The 8.9 has the same screen resolution as the 7.7 but is an LCD.

Here is a video comparing the two

and a review
G 7.7 Review

=X=
AMOLED screens are still backlit, they just use less battery juice and have better colors (especially black).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
AMOLED screens are still backlit, they just use less battery juice and have better colors (especially black).
I absolutely love the black levels on some of those screens.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Thanks everyone for the feedback!! It was very helpful, the video especially.

I found a good price on the 32 GB 8.9 and really wanted it be the one, but since I already have a 10.1 Transformer I thought it might be too close in size and a little bit big to be my primary reader. So I made a side-by-side comparison ranked with my most important attributes ranked first. The 7.7 was the clear winner so I ordered from what I hope is a reputable reseller. Now I can't wait for it to ship!

___________7.7____8.9
price_______$563__$440
pixel density__196___169
battery hrs____10____9
dimensions_____x
wght oz_____11.8__15.8
Gorilla glass____N____Y
processor GHz__1.4___1
microSD slot____Y____N
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I understand it, it's the LED that emits the light so no backlit screen is needed. Where LCD needs backlit. Here is the wiki page

Quote:
An OLED display works without a backlight. Thus, it can display deep black levels and can be thinner and lighter than a liquid crystal display (LCD) (wiki page...)
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
_____________7.7__8.9
microSD slot____Y____N
Side loading over USB via Calibre should be possible to the microSD slot.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I understand it, it's the LED that emits the light so no backlit screen is needed. Where LCD needs backlit. Here is the wiki page
Technically you could be right, but there is still a light source shining in your face -- unlike e-ink or Mirasol which just reflect light. My point being -- a wonderful screen, but easier on the eyes for long term reading? Probably not.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Quote:
Technically you could be right, but there is still a light source shining in your face -- unlike e-ink or Mirasol which just reflect light. My point being -- a wonderful screen, but easier on the eyes for long term reading? Probably not.
I read somewhere that for white background,amoled consumes more power than LCD. Is that true?
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
My point really was that AMOLED does not emit light for black. Where as a backlit screen even has black lights up the room. And because of this you can really dim down the screen for an AMOLED screen.

Quote:
unlike e-ink or Mirasol which just reflect light. My point being -- a wonderful screen, but easier on the eyes for long term reading? Probably not.
Yeah I'm not sure I'm buying that argument. The biggest discomfort I've ever experience was reading my SONY/Kindle2 at night. The glare from the reflected light was so bad I eventually abandoned reading eInk at night. Now I read on my Samsung or nook and much prefer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
I read somewhere that for white background,amoled consumes more power than LCD. Is that true?
That hasn't been proven. What you are most likely remembering was a series of test ran some time ago comparing LCD phones vs. Samsung Galaxy S (SGS), read AMOLED, phones. The LCD phones proved to have longer lasting battery life vs the SGS--one of Samsungs big marketing points was the energy saving AMLOED screens provided. The article then went on to explain that for their test they used a web browser with a primarily white background and hence removing any benefit of the AMLOED screen*.

* AMLOED gets is deep black because it does not emit light on the blacks, that also has the benefit of not using energy when using displaying blacks. Where traditional LCD uses the same amount of energy to displaying black as it does for white.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
My point really was that AMOLED does not emit light for black. Where as a backlit screen even has black lights up the room. And because of this you can really dim down the screen for an AMOLED screen.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm buying that argument. The biggest discomfort I've ever experience was reading my SONY/Kindle2 at night. The glare from the reflected light was so bad I eventually abandoned reading eInk at night. Now I read on my Samsung or nook and much prefer it.

It doesn't emit light for black, yes. That is what I read and what, supposedly, is responsible for reduced power consumption,

Well, let us not get into the old "backlit vs reflective" debate. Seems to be a matter of personal preference. My point being, for those that are not comfortable reading on LCDs, they won't be much better off using AMOLED screens (perhaps a little bit). If you are fine with LCDs in the first place, then an AMOLED screen will probably be even better for you.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard

Just saw the 7.7 AMOLED+ and the 7.0 right next to each other at a store at HK airport yesterday. That AMOLED+ screen does look great, though they cheated a little by turning up the brightness more than on the regular LCD. Anyway, very good screen, but personally I still prefer a bigger size and my TouchPad will do just fine until something really revolutionary comes along.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaeseth70 View Post
I love my Galaxy tab 8.9 For me it' s a perfect balance between screen estate and weight.
For a reader the 7.7 may even be better (I loved the Irex's 8.1 size), but for a tablet even 9.7" seems kind of small.

Anyway, the 8.9 is not available with the AMOLED + screen.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-18-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Remove hidden spam graphic from quote.