Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #76
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
no, i'm talking about a pop-up window which is mobile and not docked in the tab bar ; i can slide it around, however i cannot slide it out of the viewport. i just tried to right click on the title bar, nothing happened. i can take a screen shot if you don't know what i mean. it's a pop-up window which is opened when you click on the "new window" button in the gmail interface.
In Opera (I don't know about other browsers) you can have non-maximized tabs, just right-click on any tab button and select "Restore", it is now a window like you describe, you can move it around but it remains confined in the main Opera workspace. Likewise, you can then right-click on the title bar of this window and select "Maximize". But there is still a button representing this tab/window in the tab bar, or at least I get it.

The first image shows my normal setup, I clicked on the green link ("new window") and the "window" marked in blue appeared, which is represented by the button marked in red in the tab bar. You can see how this window disappears behind the right bar, where I have some search boxes and blurred out links. (Ignore the "djelibeibi" thing on the bottom right corner, it's just another always-on-top app.)

The second image is just after I right-clicked on the tab button and selected "detach" (and then resized and moved the now desktop-level Opera window). Note that now the new window is a full Opera one, with button bar, tab bar, etc., but it's only limited by the desktop.

For the third image I checked the "Open windows instead of tabs" option in the preferences, as I said, and clicked again on the "new window" link. Now the new window does not have the button bars, but again is not limited by the parent Opera window.

Isn't this what you meant?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	21856   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	21857   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	21858  
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #77
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I've been trying to move the portable version from the flash drive to a folder on my hard drive, but I can find hide nor hair of any mention of firefox on the flash drive. I just click on a new little launchpad icon and select firefox. Try to look in USB drive for firefox using Windows Explore to, at the minimum, put a shortcut onto my desktop but can't find anything.
that's... odd. are you using some sort of launching app / dock / etc. ? if yes it might have its own file structure, i suppose... but you should still be able to find the app. if you can't, just download it again to your hard drive.
Quote:
I'm not sure If I can download the portable version and run from hard drive. Vista gave me big error that program must be run from USB.
hoo boy, ie AND vista ! no wonder there is weird stuff happening to you. seriously though, i don't know why vista would give you that error, a portable app can be run from anywhere, including a hard drive, that's the beauty of it. there may be some strange thing in vista that i don't know about but even there i can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
Quote:
Anyway, it's fun lookin at all these new screens.
yep, it's fun to discover new ways to do things ! and firefox has a lot of fun features. you should take a look at this thread : Firefox 3 and extensions you can't live without. you might find some tempting ones.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #78
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
It works fine in IE6 and IE7. Maybe it's something not directly related to the browser?

BTW, I love IE7. Stop hurting my feelings, people!
Over, you using XP or Vista or what??
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #79
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
course you can only say that if you have tried to use FireFox. Give it a week.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #80
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Over, you using XP or Vista or what??
IE6 in XP and IE7 in Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
course you can only say that if you have tried to use FireFox. Give it a week.

BOb
A few months ago, when Mozilla released Firefox 3, I've tried it. But ended up uninstalling it. IE7 runs slickier, faster in my system. That, and the fact that Firefox doesn't display 100% correctly many sites that were created with only IE in mind.

Maybe it's a matter of habit, but if I have no complains, no need to change.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #81
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
In Opera (I don't know about other browsers) you can have non-maximized tabs, just right-click on any tab button and select "Restore", it is now a window like you describe, you can move it around but it remains confined in the main Opera workspace. Likewise, you can then right-click on the title bar of this window and select "Maximize". But there is still a button representing this tab/window in the tab bar, or at least I get it.
yes,i see the tab for the pop-up.
Quote:
The first image shows my normal setup, I clicked on the green link ("new window") and the "window" marked in blue appeared, which is represented by the button marked in red in the tab bar. You can see how this window disappears behind the right bar, where I have some search boxes and blurred out links. (Ignore the "djelibeibi" thing on the bottom right corner, it's just another always-on-top app.)
right, THAT is exactly the behavior i am talking about.
Quote:
The second image is just after I right-clicked on the tab button and selected "detach" (and then resized and moved the now desktop-level Opera window). Note that now the new window is a full Opera one, with button bar, tab bar, etc., but it's only limited by the desktop.
hm. i don't have this "detach" option. i even just updated to be sure i had the latest version (now using Opera v.9.63). is this a plug-in or a basic function ? my opera is in french but there is nothing in the context menu of a tab that looks like "detach", and i tried some of the more ambiguous options just in case but no joy.
Quote:
For the third image I checked the "Open windows instead of tabs" option in the preferences, as I said, and clicked again on the "new window" link. Now the new window does not have the button bars, but again is not limited by the parent Opera window.
this is what i would *like* to do ; but i cannot seem to manage it.
Quote:
Isn't this what you meant?
yes, exactly...
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #82
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I don't think you can do that with the U3 version. U3 apps basically "install" on the USB drive. It has it's own little mirror of various windows system folders. I think there is also a registry re director.

I agree... just install it properly on the PC and don't make it the default browser. It will not conflict with the OS or IE in any way.

BOb
ah okay, i don't what U3 is, i was thinking of just standard portable apps : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable i haven't used it recently (no need) but in the past, portable apps were stand-alone exes which did not install anywhere or use a launcher / dock, and could be placed and executed on any kind of drive (hard drive, usb drive, etc.). this is what i was thinking of.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #83
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hm. i don't have this "detach" option. i even just updated to be sure i had the latest version (now using Opera v.9.63). is this a plug-in or a basic function ? my opera is in french but there is nothing in the context menu of a tab that looks like "detach", and i tried some of the more ambiguous options just in case but no joy.
I'm using Opera 9.60, but I think it's been around for a long time (it's just before "Customize" for me, second to last)...

Maybe this helps: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/index.dml/tag/Window
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #84
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
ah okay, i don't what U3 is, i was thinking of just standard portable apps : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable i haven't used it recently (no need) but in the past, portable apps were stand-alone exes which did not install anywhere or use a launcher / dock, and could be placed and executed on any kind of drive (hard drive, usb drive, etc.). this is what i was thinking of.
U3 is something along the same lines as portable apps. I've gone for portable apps on my USB stick because one of my preferred anti-malware is available for that but not U3.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #85
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I'm using Opera 9.60, but I think it's been around for a long time (it's just before "Customize" for me, second to last)...

Maybe this helps: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/index.dml/tag/Window
thanks for that link, i think i know what's wrong now : i don't have "detach" in the menu, and following this link http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/edit-menu-setup if i want it i have to edit the .ini configuration file (i didn't bother to pursue it for the moment, it's getting quite late. ). i think i remember you mention you are on linux, it's possible it's a standard option there, judging by the edit they propose.

i did find another way to get the window out : you can drag the tab into the title bar, this gives you a new opera window with the popup floating inside it, and if you maximise the popup it fills up that window. i suppose this is a reasonable compromise.

nonetheless, it's really annoying that you have to go through so much trouble for this and it seems like really poor ergonomy : logically, if i click "open new window" it must be because i want a new window. what is the point of opening a new window which is stuck inside the current viewport ??? i don't understand why opera made this the default behavior, and makes the process for getting an actual new window so convoluted.

thanks for the explanation though, i'm glad that at least now i know how to do it, even it took me many posts, three screenshots, and an opera "how to" site.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 AM   #86
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
nonetheless, it's really annoying that you have to go through so much trouble for this and it seems like really poor ergonomy : logically, if i click "open new window" it must be because i want a new window.
But if you click "open in new window" in Opera's context menus, you get a new window. The "trouble" is that a link in Gmail is named "new window" and it's not guaranteed to be really a new window in all browsers. They probably use some javascript which is interpreted differently on different browsers.

I guess you can always try the second option I gave: setting the tabs to "open windows instead of tabs", then you'd probably have to use the context menu if you want a tab instead of a window...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #87
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
But if you click "open in new window" in Opera's context menus, you get a new window. The "trouble" is that a link in Gmail is named "new window" and it's not guaranteed to be really a new window in all browsers. They probably use some javascript which is interpreted differently on different browsers.

I guess you can always try the second option I gave: setting the tabs to "open windows instead of tabs", then you'd probably have to use the context menu if you want a tab instead of a window...
hmph, i suppose, but opera seems to be the *only* browser interpreting this code differently... and browsers interpreting code in unexpected ways that are different from all other browsers is the reason webdesigners spend so much time cursing. and i still can't imagine under what circumstances anyone could *ever* want that result, it seems thoroughly impractical and pointless.

have you ever seen this graph ?

i should point out it is from 2006, so things may have evolved slightly, and also that the red segment about using tables is totally wrong in my case (i loathe tables and i only use them for tabular data, never for design).

the true breakdown is probably somewhere between that chart and this one :

Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #88
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It works fine in IE6 and IE7. Maybe it's something not directly related to the browser?

Actually I like IE7 as well when I use it as an RSS browser. For regular stuff I am an old Netscape kind of guy so I use SeaMonkey. It is based on firefox but has a user interface that looks and operates like netscape including the email function.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #89
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually I like IE7 as well when I use it as an RSS browser.
Wow. really. RSS in IE is lame to me. I use FeedDemon. Have you tried it. It is free now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #90
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Wow. really. RSS in IE is lame to me. I use FeedDemon. Have you tried it. It is free now.

BOb
No, has it got categories? That is a great feature in IE7.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote