Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #646
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I'm a little confused about the new draft of a book released to Baen by Lee and Miller called Trader's Leap. I assumed that this was a new book about the doings of Jethri but based on Lee's Blog entry the other day where she says the book will take place entirely within the confines of Dutiful Passage, my assumption can't be right.

But I'm sure I remember that a new Jethri novel was in the works and that Miller was taking the lead on that. But Jethri can't be involved in any world in which Dutiful Passage exists, can it?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #647
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
There is a new Jethrie book coming, I believe, but Trader's Leap isn't it. You will, of course, understand that Dutiful Passage is a trade ship, so not all trader references are back to Jethrie. Though I am still very much looking forward to that new book about him.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #648
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
There are passages and lineages in the modern Liaden books that refer back to Jethri’s time. And he was credited with facilitating the integrated trade systems between Terrans and Liadens. Maybe ‘Trader’s Leap’ expands a bit on his legacy? Something to look forward to, whatever it turns out to be.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #649
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Does anyone here knows of a full chronological order list with where each novel and short story falls in the time line. I am caught up with the main story line but with ficfact gone I no longer have the list of what I still have to read in short stories. I know they keep adding books all over the timeline so reading chronologically doesn't make sense but I still like to set them in chronological order in my calibre collection
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #650
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Internal chronology of the books is well documented -- see Korval.com. At the bottom, it lists the books in chronological order, as:
  1. Crystal Soldier
  2. Crystal Dragon
  3. Balance of Trade
  4. Trade Secret
  5. Local Custom
  6. Scout’s Progress
  7. Mouse and Dragon
  8. Conflict of Honors
  9. Agent of Change
  10. Carpe Diem
  11. Plan B
  12. Fledgling
  13. I Dare
  14. Saltation
  15. Ghost Ship
  16. Necessity’s Child
  17. Dragon Ship
  18. Dragon in Exile
  19. The Gathering Edge
  20. Alliance of Equals
  21. Neogenesis

Starting with Necessity's Child, there is some overlap of story lines across the remaining books.

For the short stories, there really isn't a chronological order that I've seen (especially as the timeline for some is rather nebulous.) However, if you work one out, we'd all appreciate it. Currently, all the stories are collected into four omnibus volumes -- A Liaden Universe Constellation #1-4.

Last edited by CRussel; 11-20-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Advert
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #651
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Thanks I had that list. I found what I was looking for I remembered where I had seen the chronological timeline and where all the stories fall in it. Like all fan edited sites have some arguments about the exact years but this is as close probably we can get as even the authors might not be sure of the exact dates

https://liaden.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #652
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Thanks I had that list. I found what I was looking for I remembered where I had seen the chronological timeline and where all the stories fall in it. Like all fan edited sites have some arguments about the exact years but this is as close probably we can get as even the authors might not be sure of the exact dates

https://liaden.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline
A useful site, and one I hadn't found. Thanks!

Charlie.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #653
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, a really neat site! Thank you very much Dopedangel. I’ve tried to estimate my own rough timeline, but this is so much more complete - a great resource.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:53 AM   #654
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For those who might not have seen this elsewhere, Baen has signed an agreement with Overdrive to make all Baen books, including all of the Liaden books, available to public libraries. AND, they're available as Open ePubs, so NO DRM!

I, of course, just recommended all that they would let me at both of my libraries! And two of them have already been acquired! So go ahead and recommend them to your library, and make them available to those who might not have encountered them before.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #655
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
YAY! Thanks for sharing Charlie!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #656
CRussel
(he/him/his)

My pleasure, Dazrin. Especially since I know you're constrained to using libraries most of the time.

It should also be noted that:
  • The Baen Free Library contains many FREE Baen books from across their authors, including two from Lee & Miller. With no need to wait for your local library to get them. And, of course, all books bought or downloaded directly from Baen are available in all the major formats, and are DRM-Free.
  • The Baen CD Archive available for download from The Fifth Imperium with official support from Baen, is a great source of even more free books.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #657
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And, in other FREE news, a Liaden Universe story, A Visit to the Galaxy Ballroom, is up on Baen.com for your enjoyment.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #658
Victoria
Wizard

Wow - fantastic series of posts Charlie! Thanks for the great tips and leads!
Old 11-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #659
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I should have replied to this when you first posted, but consider adding one more to your comfort list --- Cherryh's Foreigner series. I've just been through a re-read and it definitely has stood the test of time and multiple re-reads. (The Audible versions are particularly good, btw.)
No problem.

I think that I read the first three or so books in that series years ago, and enjoyed them. Don't remember why I stopped - maybe waiting for the next book? I have a tendency to sometimes let a few books pile up in a series and then do a marathon read (currently doing that with Andrews' Kate Daniels series).

Got to check back through my archives to see if I ever picked up the ebook versions of the Cherryh books.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #660
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Accepting The Lance arrived today!!!

Now the big decision is, do I read it immediately, or start a reread of the previous book and save this one for Christmas?

Decisions, decisions...

The first page alone (!) starts off with the Commander of Agents realizing that some Old Tech engines that she wanted to activate against the Scouts have gone inexplicably missing.

Oh, how I wanted to keep reading!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote