Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 01:39 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Book titles that should not be

So while I was browsing I came across this:
Frank Herbert: Unpublished Stories
and got a chuckle.

Alright, so I'm easily amused. Are Wordfire Press the only ones who need to employ an editor for their titles?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:10 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
So while I was browsing I came across this:
Frank Herbert: Unpublished Stories
and got a chuckle.

Alright, so I'm easily amused. Are Wordfire Press the only ones who need to employ an editor for their titles?
Your example made me think of the endless listicles online of "untranslatable words", most of which proclaim with breathless excitement how the words chosen defy translation, then proceed to translate them. It's not unlikely that books exist with titles like "You can't say "X" in English"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's not exactly a book title that should never be but high school during the late 80's was not the place to be carrying around a book entitled Sex and Temperament.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sea is My Brother: The Lost Novel by Jack Kerouac

You'd think I had better things to do.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Two titles that always struck me as particularly unfelicitous are Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. They sound like a couple of morality tracts and not at all like comedy of manners novels.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
On the other hand, sometimes the author was saved from himself. When you consider that Fitzgerald considered naming The Great Gatsby, Trimalchio in West Egg! Sounds like a stinker if there ever was one, and not one of the great American novels.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Two titles that always struck me as particularly unfelicitous are Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. They sound like a couple of morality tracts and not at all like comedy of manners novels.
I had not looked at them like that before, but you're right.

Quote:
On the other hand, sometimes the author was saved from himself. When you consider that Fitzgerald considered naming The Great Gatsby, Trimalchio in West Egg! Sounds like a stinker if there ever was one, and not one of the great American novels.
Hah! Not a case of "A rose by any other name"? Makes me wonder what might have happened.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
That may well have been a useful camouflage, given the moral panic about novel reading at the time.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote