Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #1
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Has this Kindle Oasis image been doctored?

Hi all!

Just curious to get some opinions on this. I've attached an image taken of a 1st gen Oasis that I sold on eBay last week. The buyer has since received it, and sent a message complaining about "burnt in" parts down one edge of the display.

I'd never had any issues with it - it was in pretty much perfect condition when I sent it, and I asked for a photo showing what they meant.

What I've attached is what they sent me. Obviously it shows the light cones and shadows from the front light LEDs, but it never looked anything like that when I used it in the dark - I only ever noticed what I'd call normal unevenness when the lighting was set towards the brightest settings.

What I'm wondering is if the seller might have played around with the exposure and contrast settings after taking the pic to exaggerate the "issue" and build a case for a claim?

Any thoughts? Anyone ever seen cones/shadows this bad in real life?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	166790  

Last edited by eDP; 10-08-2018 at 09:13 AM.
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
On a brief inspection I can't see any obvious signs of manipulation, but since it's a JPG it's rather hard to tell.

The angle it's taken at is clearly designed to show the device in the worst light, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had also had its levels tweaked.

I suspect you've been unfortunate enough to come across a very picky buyer who wants perfection in an imperfect world.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It seems pretty clear that the contrast of the image has been pushed way, way up. Note the "grain" in the image. I'd suggest telling the user that the light cones are entirely normal, and not a fault.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The text looks awfully bolded too which would make me think the contrast was cranked up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
eBay being what it is. If the buyer used PayPal and opens a dispute you are screwed, they almost always find in favour of the buyer.
You could try cutting your losses by offering a small partial refund if he does that in exchange for him dropping the claim..
If paypal are not in the loop. Then it depends what your listing said. Did you say no returns and how did you describe the item condition?
Final option is to cave, say ok send it back and if it arrives in same condition I shipped it in then I will refund. And hope he does not demand you pay return postage. Then sell again to someone less argumentative. Wait for an ebay sell for £1 offer to come around, I get one of those every few weeks and that saves you 10%
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i've had a claim against me once selling on ebay. in that case, it appears that the buyer had an identical product to what i was selling. the purchaser had it for a few days, then placed a claim against me. i wanted proof, so asked for the product to be returned to me. upon opening it, i found that the product had been dropped and tampered with. it looks like they opened up the device (original screws were all scratched up) and may have transplanted some of the electronic components. i denied the claim on the basis that it was insured through the carrier. if he wants to claim against the carrier, it's up to him.

i was firm in my view because during the entire transaction, he insisted on multiple occasions that i add insurance. so i was suspicious from the beginning but sold it to him anyway. lesson learned.

in your case, i would suggest video proof showing from start up and ending at the system info page so that you can see the serial number. you may also want him to do close up videos around the edges to see if it's been tampered with. your buyer may have another oasis in this "broken" state and purchased yours with the intent to "prove" to you that you sent him a defective product. he may even go so far as to send you back his broken product claiming that it's yours.

of course, this is all pure speculation and i may be completely wrong here.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I could be mis-remembering, but I thought there was also discussion in other threads about lighting issues that the cones are more obvious when turned to the highest lighting setting. The comments I remembered where along the lines of "why turn it up that high, anyway?!"
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I betting the person Tweeked the Contrast on the photo. I did that to show Amazon how I was seeing the lights on one of my PWs. 2 of those lights came out really bright cause there did not seem to be a spacer between the lights to produce the Cone. This picture Does Not show me the same defect. Each cone is Visible & clear. I don't see what the person is complaining about... unless they don't understand the cones.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
in your case, i would suggest video proof showing from start up and ending at the system info page so that you can see the serial number.
That was my first thought. The buyer might be trying to exchange his bad Oasis for your good one. There have been times when, guessing things might not be on the up and up, I've announced that I'm shipping something with a picture (including the serial number) in a personal email via eBay's message system. That way it's on record. I may have been paranoid, but I do this when the buyer has a lot of "issues" with products they've bought.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #10
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

Yes, I've tried explaining several times that the light cones and shadows are a normal phenomenon caused by the way Amazon does their front-lighting, told them about the row of LEDs down the side etc etc, but to no avail - they're trying to insist there's some kind of "burnt" marks on the display.

I've denied this - asked them to provide a photo with the frontlight turned off (because surely any permanent "burns" would still be visible, regardless of light levels, right?) but no, they've already provided an image, "as per eBay policy" they said.

I also went to the trouble of making a 15 second video of me incrementally adjusting the backlight on my other Oasis from off, to full, then back to off again, and uploading it for them to view. I asked they make a similar video so I can see the extent of the issue across differing brightness levels, but they've refused.

Regarding the serial number, I had one photo in the listing that clearly showed the Oasis' s/n, so returning a different one isn't really an option for them thankfully, as I'd immediately know.

I've reluctantly offered to allow a "change-of-mind" return which they're yet to specifically agree to, their reply only saying,

"That’s better, could you please leave me feedback please as I have fulfilled my end of sale as per eBay policy. Thanks"

Strange, yet not at all surprising given the context. I think this individual is definitely trying to manipulate the situation.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:23 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I would put a strict time limit on your generous offer of a return, then stop the conversation. There is no way I would leave good feedback, but leave nothing until the return window has timed out, so as not to antagonise.
It is experiences like yours that make ebay selling a stressful gamble.
If you process any refund through eBay you will get your seller fees back.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 AM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
It looks like it's been exaggerated via an HDR program. I used Snapseed for these photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle PW lights.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	166831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle PW lights1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	652.1 KB
ID:	166832  
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #13
eDP

I'm a photographer by trade and did a similar test with a photo I took of another reader I have, and got the same sort of result playing with contrast, white points, and black points.

It's definitely been grossly exaggerated.