Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
DaveReads
DaveReads began at the beginning.

Device: Sony and Kindle
Unhappy Calibre and Google Drive

I have been using Google Drive with Calibre for a couple of years with no problems. I point to the Google Drive backup/sync folder on my Windows 10 machine.
Yesterday I opened Calibre and all the categories were zero, nothing there. No error messages just not finding any data however, all the books are still in their folders in the hard drive.
I switched to my old folder I used before switching to Google Drive and it opens fine.
I thought Google Drive issues were resolved a few years ago.
Any suggestions on how to best get the data on my hard drive back into Calibre?
Thanks,
Dave
DaveReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveReads View Post
I have been using Google Drive with Calibre for a couple of years with no problems. I point to the Google Drive backup/sync folder on my Windows 10 machine.
Yesterday I opened Calibre and all the categories were zero, nothing there. No error messages just not finding any data however, all the books are still in their folders in the hard drive.
I switched to my old folder I used before switching to Google Drive and it opens fine.
I thought Google Drive issues were resolved a few years ago.
Any suggestions on how to best get the data on my hard drive back into Calibre?
Thanks,
Dave
The issues with Google Drive remain.

See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas

Quote:
In particular, be aware that Google Drive is incompatible with calibre, if you put your calibre library in Google Drive, you will suffer data loss.
And https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205581

And https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...54&postcount=4

The second link references a couple of possible solutions to recover from the damage GD inflicts on calibre libraries.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-16-2018 at 05:24 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
DaveReads

Calibre and Google Drive

Thanks BetterRed,
Looks like I'm hosed. When I have the time I'll try the links to recover.
Will I have the same problem with OneDrive?
Dave
Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveReads View Post
<snip>

Will I have the same problem with OneDrive?
Dave
No

But, don't use OneDrive's syncing when calibre is running, which means you either: Pause it before you start calibre and Resume when you close calibre. Or, you use one of the separate file sync tools to do the syncing when it suits you.

I prefer the second method with GoodSync doing the syncing. FreeFileSync, Synctoy and rsync are popular - they're also free. Recent versions of Onedrive automatically sync the Documents, Music, Pictures, and Video folders, so it's probably best to keep your calibre libraries elsewhere - I keep mine in D:\Calibre\Libraries

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-16-2018 at 10:34 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
DaveReads

Thanks for the info. Dave
Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've had OneDrive delete random books from my Calibre library (and no, it was not running while Calibre was open). The best option of those I've tried is Dropbox. Still, you should run the Library Maintenance regularly, because even Dropbox will make conflicted copies sometimes.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, google drive