Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'll go with Highsmith too, because I want more people to read it. As I got accused of calling people "bad" in another thread for saying something was heteronormative, I always like the chance to discuss actual LGBT literature.

PS - the movie adaptation, while making some unnecessary changes, was absolutely gorgeous.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
About half a day left to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
...I always like the chance to discuss actual LGBT literature.
I thought the lit club must've had some other LGBT selections over the years but upon quick perusal I don't see any except three that are all only tangentially- Memoirs of Hadrian, The Master and Leaves of Grass. Odd that all of those concern historical figures/real people and are quite discreet and secondary about the subject. We have had a fair amount of LGBT nominations though through the years, although most of those nominations (that come to mind) as well as the selections mentioned have to do with men and not women. I do recall Sappho being nominated once early on but that might be it. In the general club, I remember there was Carmilla which was equally discreet as the others mentioned but did concern women, as well as the selection of Fanny and Stella which was definitely LGBT with bells on and, well, anything but discreet! Anyway, all that to say, this may be the lit club's first actual LGBT selection if it's chosen, especially the L, although if the book is anything like the film it's rather subtle and nuanced even so.

Quote:
PS - the movie adaptation, while making some unnecessary changes, was absolutely gorgeous.
Oh, it'll be interesting then to see what's different.

Last edited by sun surfer; 09-10-2018 at 02:23 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:44 AM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Voting is complete and the winner is The Price of Salt! I'll have the discussion thread up soon.

I also noticed this month (sorry, I like these sorts of stats minutiae!) that every nomination was from a different decade, and very evenly spaced throughout the last century at that. Also, somewhat of a rarity, almost all the nominated authors were women. I know I nominated many of these but I didn’t notice either of those things until I was looking at the full list after voting had started.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I hadn’t noticed the publication dates! I have never read anything by Patricia Highsmith before so I’m looking forward to it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:18 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The discussion thread is up!