Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Gonna get difficult to contact me via NAEB

It seems I've blown away my login with my Not Another E-Book email account. Heck, I'm writing this with a bare-bones machine as IE7, Sygate Personal Firewall and most of what connects me to the rest of the world crashed on me around 1PM my time - and I wasn't even on the machine. I'm thinking hard about doing a system restore, but that will take me back about a month.

So if any of you have been sending me stuff through dbenner - at - naebllc - dot - com, it just hasn't been getting through.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
You should be able to restore to a much more recent restore point than a month ago. Windows XP (and I assume Vista) make restore points fairly often and especially when you add or change a driver or system files.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Derek, email me a new password for your account and I'll reset it.

Jim
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still having 'some' problems

But I've at least got a working copy of IE7. I'd *like* to have IE6 because, according to HP tech support my WinXP system should *NOT* have been capable of running IE7 for the past year and three months. Go figure.

But what really pissed me off was that the latest update to IE7 interfered with *some* of my adobe extensions and WinMedPlayer 11 - which caused, for a while, severe problems. I almost couldn't even do a system restore - the tech support people were *THIS CLOSE* to telling me to do a complete system recovery back to my original state at time of computer purchase - of course, that would have thrown away ALL my images, data files and software that I've been running since November, 2006!!!

So if anyone has a copy of IE6 I can download, I'll be very happy.

Derek
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I take it that you're not a fan of FireFox, then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm puzzled by why an XP system should have had problems with IE7. All my machines run XP (I'm not a fan of Vista) and IE7 runs flawlessly on all of them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm puzzled by why an XP system should have had problems with IE7. All my machines run XP (I'm not a fan of Vista) and IE7 runs flawlessly on all of them.
Yeah, same here. So, it puzzles me too. (maybe it didn't have SP2?)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Yeah, same here. So, it puzzles me too. (maybe it didn't have SP2?)

Don't ask *ME*!?! I'm just telling you what the HP tech support team told me. I've got an HP Pentium D Media Center with WinXPHome and I've *been* running IE7 for more than a year! And letting Microsoft do it's updates for IE and WinXP. But after this last set of updates that hit my machine this last week, my system has become quite flakey. For example, on Monday, my Windows Search function went kerplop-kerblooey. That same day, my Adobe Flash drivers went belly up. As did my Google Toolbar. All of this happened immediately after I let the latest Microsoft updates occur upon shutdown Sunday night. And did I mention the same updates ate my Sygate Personal Firewall? Given that the ONLY thing that was different between Sunday and Monday was the install of Microsoft's 'belove' automatic updates, I'm betting on that. Wasn't running any bootleg software, wasn't trying to hack the Internet, etc. (I'm too old and too far behind the curve to bother any more.) Nope, spent the entire day Sunday just playing around with Photoshop and images from my dSLR.

But, yes, tech support *SWEARS* I should only be running IE6, not 7.

Derek
Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you should NOT be running IE7, then MS would not have allowed Windows Update to install IE7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
But I've at least got a working copy of IE7. I'd *like* to have IE6 because, according to HP tech support my WinXP system should *NOT* have been capable of running IE7 for the past year and three months. Go figure.

But what really pissed me off was that the latest update to IE7 interfered with *some* of my adobe extensions and WinMedPlayer 1
1 - which caused, for a while, severe problems. I almost couldn't even do a system restore - the tech support people were *THIS CLOSE* to telling me to do a complete system recovery back to my original state at time of computer purchase - of course, that would have thrown away ALL my images, data files and software that I've been running since November, 2006!!!

Derek
This should help

http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.htm
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
This is just wrong. I can't imagine how they train these people.

Quote:
I would stay with IE7... have you installed updated version of those items you were having problems with. By this point in time, most software has fixed any nits with running in or alongside IE7.

However, all you have to do is go into control panel, click the "Show updates" check box at the top... find IE7 on this list and remove it. This will revert you back to IE6.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Okay....I work for HP, so I guess I should chime in here.

IE7 on XP is almost certainly not the problem. I've installed it on my XP system at work. Where the problem(s) tend to be is in how various web sites have been coded. IE7 follows a more rigorous implementation of the W3C standards. (I forget which) There are a number of things that IE6 allowed web designers to do that the stricter IE7 implementation doesn't allow.

That *might* be the source of the confusion from the HP help desk folks......

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Derek, have you tried a repair install of XP? That might fix whatever got corrupted.

When my wife's computer was upgraded in early January, we could not get the system to boot properly with the XP on her system. We did a repair install and it worked fine after that.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Derek, have you tried a repair install of XP? That might fix whatever got corrupted.

When my wife's computer was upgraded in early January, we could not get the system to boot properly with the XP on her system. We did a repair install and it worked fine after that.
The only thing I'm worried about with a 'repair install' is that I've got SOOOOoooo many data files in my Olympus and Canon image folders and I don't have enough DVDs to hand in order to back them all up and off the hard drive (c: of course!). Which means I've got to drag my sorry tail out of the house and down to the local Fry's Electronics for a spindle of DVD-DL discs. Ugh! Load the mobility scooter, drive to the store, circle endlessly until a disability spot comes open, unload the scooter, wander aimlessly through said warehouse until I find the spindle... Yech! (And with 250GB of data to move from the two hard drives, I'm not gonna go with the regular DVDs; nope, gonna get the DLs!)

Oh well, I've been meaning to move all those images to back-up anyway. Sigh.

Derek
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A repair install won't wipe any of the folders with your camera data. All it will do is reinstall the OS. But that easn that you'll also have to go through all the Windows updates again. I'm not sure if IE7 will still be there or not. It cannot hurt to give it a go.