Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-24-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
RPN and algebraic scientific calculator calcoo

[04/25/2008] v.0.2.1 is out. It's v0.2 + pixbuf-loaders installation, which solves the app loading problems as discussed below.

Calcoo is a RPN and algebraic scientific calculator.

Features are as listed on official Calcoo homepage:
# both RPN and algebraic modes
# bitmapped button labels and display glyths
# undo/redo
# copy/paste interaction with the X clipboard
# two memory registers with displays
# displays for Y, Z, and T registers

Calcoo opens as a window on iLiad's screen. So you can scribble in pdf & calculate at the same time. You can move Calcoo's window with stylus on screen.

I tweaked the files b_main.c, b_settings.c & b_info.c to get Calcoo in it's own window. This is discussed below. "Settings" (!) & "Info" (?) dialog open a 2nd window. Have a look at the screenshot.

You can find the src on my projects page.
official Calcoo homepage: with versions for Linux, Windows & Mac.

[2007/10/12]: There is a problem. Calcoo doesn't start anymore. I will work on it.
[2007/11/03]: Sorry for the delay. A new version calcoo.iLiad.0.2 is out. Now with an installer. I tested it on CF/main memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an older version of this post
Callcoo is my first port of a gtk+ 2.x app. It's a beta version because we can't exit the program the normal way.
The only working ways to close the Calcoo application are:
# reset iLiad,
# connect iLiad via USB to PC, this kills Calcoo.
Heh, it's a beta. It's just a "Hello world of MR's developer community".

Well, all buttons of Calcoo are working. If this no-exit-button is solved, it' will be a tiny calculator for iLiad.

Why there is no normal exiting of program?
Because I'm a newbie to porting.
More in detail:
# Calcoo hasn't got a menu, where we could choose "close app" like in other programs.
# Calcoo starts without window, therefore we can't see x-button in top bar.

Solution of known crux:
# Create a "exit-button".
# Get Calcoo started as a window.
1st screenshot: old beta version
2nd screenshot: recent version, showing Callcoo with Info-Dialog ["?"-Button]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calcoo.png
Views:	885
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	5084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calcoo.final.png
Views:	813
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	5105  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calcoo.beta.zip (3.34 MB, 558 views)
File Type: rar Calcoo_1.3.18.rar (1.96 MB, 537 views)
File Type: zip calcoo.iLiad.0.2.zip (980.3 KB, 840 views)
File Type: zip calcoo.iLiad.0.2.1.zip (1.19 MB, 1154 views)

Last edited by yokos; 04-25-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: v0.2.1
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Cool.

It might solve your problem if you made the window manager think it was a dialog box instead of a regular application. That should give you a close button and clean up all that white space.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Code:
gtk_window_set_type_hint (body->main_window, GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DIALOG);
Adding the above in line 51 or so of src/b_main.c should do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calcoo.png
Views:	755
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	5090  
Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Code:
gtk_window_set_type_hint (body->main_window, GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DIALOG);
Adding the above in line 51 or so of src/b_main.c should do the trick.
Oh, I was searching the GTK Reference Manual.
Cool, that's so easy. I will try it at home later. Working Day is over here in Germany.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Oh, I was searching the GTK Reference Manual.
Cool, that's so easy. I will try it at home later. Working Day is over here in Germany.
That's where I found it myself.

Glad I could help. This porting stuff really isn't as hard as it looks...
Advert
Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting that the old "main window as a dialog box" also works on Linux. It's a standard "trick" that we use in Windows programming, too, that gives you a lot of functionality "for free".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Interesting that the old "main window as a dialog box" also works on Linux. It's a standard "trick" that we use in Windows programming, too, that gives you a lot of functionality "for free".
It's especially handy when our window manager (matchbox), removes window decorations in order to give it more of a "tablet" feel.

What do you gain by doing that in Windows?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Two main things:

1. You can design your dialog box with the very nice "drag and drop" editors that development environments like Microsoft's Visual Studio provide. On a "main" window you have to position everything with code, which is a lot more work. (For the purists, that's not strictly true, but it'll do as a first approximation)

2. At runtime, you get "for free" a standard keyboard interface, with "Tab" moving you from control to control, and "hotkeys" to jump directly to specified controls. For non-dialog windows, you have to do all that yourself.

Those are the main benefits.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Ok, Calcoo is now working like it should do.
I have attached the new binary in post #1.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

I'm sorry, I wanted to edit post #1 but got a reply.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #11
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Will this need to be installed on a card or can it be run directly from the Iliad?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Will this need to be installed on a card or can it be run directly from the Iliad?
Just extract the included directory "Calcoo" to a place [CF, iLiad's memory, etc] you want to use. You need ~12 MB of free space, more than 90% of that are needed for the libraries. Maybe I should learn this ipk-think [-> Adam B.'s installation method] to get rid of these duplicates of libraries for every appl.

Last edited by yokos; 08-27-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Just extract the included directory "Calcoo" to a place [CF, iLiad's memory, etc] you want to use.
Hmmm ... in that case, I can't get it to work. The Calcoo window pops up briefly, then disappears again. Gnuchess runs fine from the same directory on the Iliad. Dang it ....
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Same here, i am not able to run it, it seems to pop up very fast, but then its gone.
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templario View Post
Same here, i am not able to run it, it seems to pop up very fast, but then its gone.
I confirm this. My Calcoo doesn't seem to be compatible to 2.11 with submitted libraries.
I get a "GdkPixbuf-WARNING" & "segmentation fault". Odd. I will work on it.