Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Schmeggma
Schmeggma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 loose and clicky on one side

Hi, I'm new here but I registered to ask about this minor concern with my new Kindle.

The casing on the right, around the next page button, is a little flimsy and makes a squishy tactile clicking with a tiny amount of pressure applied - far less than is needed to press the button itself. I've read the Kindle 3 is a little flimsy so is this to be expected or a fault worth sending it back over?

I've only had it four days now and noticed last night so I'm not sure if it was like that from the start (I use my left hand 70% of the time) or because the pocket I was carrying it in is a little tight and warped it slightly.

I know it's a cheapish device and I'd rather not lose out on precious reading time if a replacement is likely to be just the same or worse.
Schmeggma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Here are links to a couple of threads about similar problems:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=creaking

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=creaking

I don't have my Kindle yet (just ordered it) so I can't personally address your problem, but I would say if you have any concerns about your Kindle falling apart you should email/call customer service to request replacement. From what I have read here, Amazon will send you a new unit and you don't have to return the old one until you receive the new one.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
My Kindle 3 does not have any loose or clicky issues. Call Amazon, explain the issue. They usually ship replacement Kindles overnight.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeggma View Post
Hi, I'm new here but I registered to ask about this minor concern with my new Kindle.

The casing on the right, around the next page button, is a little flimsy and makes a squishy tactile clicking with a tiny amount of pressure applied - far less than is needed to press the button itself. I've read the Kindle 3 is a little flimsy so is this to be expected or a fault worth sending it back over?

I've only had it four days now and noticed last night so I'm not sure if it was like that from the start (I use my left hand 70% of the time) or because the pocket I was carrying it in is a little tight and warped it slightly.

I know it's a cheapish device and I'd rather not lose out on precious reading time if a replacement is likely to be just the same or worse.
Welcome to MobileRead, Schmeggma

Heres the Amazon kindle support page. Besides having lots of FAQ's and the user guide download, at the bottom is a 'contact us' button.

Click, sign into your account, and choose the 'call me' feature.....they'll call back immediately.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Schmeggma

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't think of searching for creaking!

The replacement policy eases my mind a lot.

edit: I was going to wait a bit longer to see how much it bothered me, but I called up anyway and will be receiving a replacement in the next couple of days I love their return policy, I got the impression I could have just said "I want a replacement, please" and it'd be no problem.

Last edited by Schmeggma; 10-05-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
I have the same problem. This is a replacement kindle that they sent me just three days ago. I'm not too worried about it.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I got my k3 over 3 weeks ago and it is solid and I have had no issues with the keys or case. And I have had no issues with the lettering either
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I got my k3 over 3 weeks ago and it is solid and I have had no issues with the keys or case. And I have had no issues with the lettering either
Excellent! I hope I have the same luck as you. When you think of how many Kindle 3's have been sold, and realize that in comparison there are relatively few complaints about the build quality of the Kindle, it does appear that their QC people are doing their jobs.

@ Schmeggma - glad that the outcome will be positive for you. Amazon customer service gets a lot of kudos around here, and for good cause it would seem.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Schmeggma

Hopefully the final update:

I got my replacement Kindle today and it has the same problem towards the top left side. Thankfully it's out of the realm of actual usage - I would probably have never noticed if I wasn't checking the whole thing - and the original actually has it in the new spot too, so I'm pretty happy with the replacement.

One minor cosmetic difference is that the keys don't seem perfectly centered as they are on the original. You have to have stupid attention to detail to even notice it though! I get the impression that minor discrepancies in the front and back panels are just inherent to the click together design.

The guy on the phone told me to keep the charger and cable, but they sent another cable with the replacement. Does this mean I now have a spare?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
kindletommy
kindletommy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had the clicky area as well on my Kindle. But because everything else was so perfect, and I didn't want to risk getting a refurbished unit or one with other small annoyances.

Hence I did what I do with every Blackberry of mine: Carefully opening the Kindle (thanks to the video uploaded here, it is not as difficult as one might think initially), and putting a thin paper tissue between the battery and the backpanel. That always does the trick with clicky backpanels :-)

Love my Kindle. Amazon makes $$$ with me, and I am back enjoying the fun of reading.
kindletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
rwilkmtn
rwilkmtn began at the beginning.

Similar Problem Kindle 3

I noticed the same issue with my Kindle 3 after using it about 2 weeks. Now the problem has expanded, and I notice the same clickiness towards the bottom behind the keyboard. I did not have this problem with the Kindle 2! This one's going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeggma View Post

rwilkmtn is offline   Reply With Quote