Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
_CL
_CL began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Anybody else experiencing issues since 1.4?

I am not sure 1.4 is to blame, but my three week old nook started having issues this past weekend. I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these.

First, on Friday, after not using the nook for a couple days, the nook was locked up tight. It was frozen on the screensaver. The power button had no effect. I charged it overnight via USB - no change. I followed the troubleshooting at B&N nook support - holding the power button for 20+ seconds had no effect. I removed the battery - no change. So, I used the AC adapter for 2+ hours - after that the nook recovered.

Second, on Saturday, while navigating the touch screen, the nook crashed and had a hard reset (went through the complete power up sequence).

Third, last night, I was reading the nook and left it on my desk to let the screensaver kick in. When I awoke this morning (8+ hours later), the nook had not entered screensaver mode. It still showing the last page I had read last night.

The nook has always been handled carefully. It has not been dropped or banged around. The only change that has occurred is upgrading to 1.4 the previous weekend. Not sure if this is the root cause or whether my nook has hardware issues.
_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I have a brandnew nook that came with v1.3, I immedately updated it to v1.4, over the last couple of days, I did notice it was locked up tight twice and I had to hold the power button for long to awake it, and it also crashed a couple of times and I had to do a hard reset. I am not sure if this is a v1.4 issue and not sure how exactly to go back to v1.3.

I didn't however encounter your third issue.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CL View Post
First, on Friday, after not using the nook for a couple days, the nook was locked up tight. It was frozen on the screensaver. The power button had no effect. I charged it overnight via USB - no change. I followed the troubleshooting at B&N nook support - holding the power button for 20+ seconds had no effect. I removed the battery - no change. So, I used the AC adapter for 2+ hours - after that the nook recovered.
The nook must be turned on to really charge. It may be that your battery ran out and it doesn't turn on for USB. I might have to test this out.

Quote:
Second, on Saturday, while navigating the touch screen, the nook crashed and had a hard reset (went through the complete power up sequence).
Nope, not yet.

Quote:
Third, last night, I was reading the nook and left it on my desk to let the screensaver kick in. When I awoke this morning (8+ hours later), the nook had not entered screensaver mode. It still showing the last page I had read last night.
I have seen strange behavior such as hitting power to put it to sleep, and then having the nook wake up a minute later (with page and LCD on). I should have left it to see if it shut back down, but, since it updates the e-ink display every minute for the clock, this might explain why your battery was dead (as was likely the case above).
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
_CL
_CL began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the responses, Sylver and Logan.
_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
solomon
Connoisseur
solomon began at the beginning.

Device: Win 10
Quote:
A couple more random data points:

I saw this over the weekend - except I only had ~35% battery when I put the unit down so it went to the low battery screen Needed ~15 minutes charging before rebooting itself.

While still on 1.3 I had the crash-cannot-charge issue and what worked for me was to hold the power button until the charge light went OFF, then disconnect and reconnect power. The light came on almost immediately, but the unit would not respond to the power button presses. About 1 hour later the NookE woke up and rebooted and charging continued *VERY* slowly for some 6-8 more hours! Since then it seems (fingers crossed) to be charging appropriately quickly.

Richard
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
scottgun
scottgun began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, nook str
Yes, I believe I had the same issue. I went to turn it on this morning and it was stuck on the screensaver. No response on any of the hardware buttons while trying to reset. I held the power button for about a minute, while plugged in. Flash, and then the screen that says, "your NOOK's battery charge is too low to power on."

This is weird, as I did a full charge yesterday and it usually lasts a couple of weeks on a full charge, based on my usage pattern. However, I believe this has something to do with the screen saver, as noted by others before, it must have been running down all night.

I'm relieved. I thought I had bricked it for sure.
scottgun is offline   Reply With Quote