Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Tag Editor - Filter Available Tags

Is there currently any way for 'Filter Available Tags' in the Tag Editor to return tags beginning with the letter we put in?

If I put in T (for example), I would expect it to bring me down to the tags starting with T. Instead, it just shows ALL tags that have a T in them in any position. That could turn out to be every tag, and isn't very helpful, IMO.

Edit to add: I do see that it could be helpful to some as is (if you know the tag has an X in it), so perhaps just being able to choose if it is alphabetical or not?

Last edited by MerlinMama; 09-13-2017 at 05:42 AM.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MerlinMama - Check this tweak

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	159016

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Is there currently any way for 'Filter Available Tags' in the Tag Editor to return tags beginning with the letter we put in?

If I put in T (for example), I would expect it to bring me down to the tags starting with T. Instead, it just shows ALL tags that have a T in them in any position. That could turn out to be every tag, and isn't very helpful, IMO.

Edit to add: I do see that it could be helpful to some as is (if you know the tag has an X in it), so perhaps just being able to choose if it is alphabetical or not?
Yeeeees, quite useful as you describe you don't like
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

@BetterRed - This is why I ask. I *kinda* saw that tweak, but my eyes completely missed it said tags as well. Thank you so much!

@Terisa de morgan - Just because I don't like it (non-alphabetical) doesn't mean I can't see possible usefulness for others.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@BetterRed - This is why I ask. I *kinda* saw that tweak, but my eyes completely missed it said tags as well.
AFAIK - it applies to all categories that can have multiple values.

BR
Old 09-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@MerlinMama - Check this tweak

Attachment 159016

BR
Oops, nope that doesn't change anything. I already had it at 'Prefix' (default setting). I put 'Contains' just to see, and it still returns everything containing a letter, not beginning with the letter (of course).

I then went and put the tweak back to 'Prefix' and it still returns with all containing rather than beginning with.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Just in case we're talking about different things, see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tweaks.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	159018  
Old 09-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Just in case we're talking about different things, see attachment.
We are and we're not, I assumed it would apply everywhere - I should have done a quick test, sorry.

It's consistent with 'filters' elsewhere. such as spell checker.

When I entered 'X' the first two things I got were Executives and Extortion - figures

BR
Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a filter, its meant for searching for individual/small groups of tags, not sorting them. It wrks like the search in the main library interface (minus all the bells and whistles). You enter any text and all tags containing that text are shown.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's a filter, its meant for searching for individual/small groups of tags, not sorting them. It wrks like the search in the main library interface (minus all the bells and whistles). You enter any text and all tags containing that text are shown.
EUREKA! I have found a solution that brings me to another question/request.

Solution: If I put the focus (cursor) on the list of tags available and type a letter, it brings me to the tags beginning with that letter. Awesome!

Question/Request: Is there any way for the cursor not to automatically be in the filter box when opening the tag editor? Or to choose where the focus will be when opening the tag editor?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@MerlinMama - is tab/tab/letter too hard.

I just discovered that's what I've been doing like, since forever

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-13-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:00 AM   #12
MerlinMama
Evangelist

I don't really mind. Now I know, I just have to remember the quick click (or the tabs).