Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wifi + 3g vs Wifi only [HELP! I'm about to pick up a Kindle!]

After lurking around this forum and the web for a while, I finally decided that kindle is my best option.

My biggest question is... Should I get the 3g version or the non 3g version!

1) I noticed how calibre can actually send your Kindle news feeds. All I have to do is keep my computer and calibre on, and make it automatically send news feed to my kindle. If I have the 3g version can I literally download these news feeds wherever I go? How fast does the kindle 3g version download these stuff?

2) With kindles web browsers can I book mark websites? For example, can I easily access g-mail and etc to check my e-mail on the go?

3) Can I even download pdf files through my e-mail to my kindle?

4) Is Kindles 3g speed just as fast as any at&t cellphone speed?

5) Is the web browser a total gimmick or does it come in handy once a month?

6) Is there any other cool things I can do with Kindles 3g? Like some kind of 3rd party app like Calibre that will let me easily access stuff.

7) Should I pick up a 3 year accidental warranty from best buy? I believe it cost around 30ish-40ish dollar for the 189 kindle version. They cover all kinds of accident, will my Kindle likely break within 3 years? Btw I'm planning on taking my kindle to the gym, so it is a good idea to take that accident plan, correct?
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
2) You can bookmark websites.

3) Unfortunately, you can't. You can only download TXT, MOBI and PRC files

4) Hard to tell, but in theory it should be. It's definitely fast enough

5) Browser is quite handy. It can run a full desktop version of gmail. And reading Wikipedia or news in Kindle-exclusive, article mode is very convenient

7) It'd get the warranty. I had several Kindles die on me before. Luckily it was within 1 year standard warranty. But if it had happened later I would have been out of luck.

You can read my blog for more info on Kindle and other eReaders
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
RedNara

Cool. So there are many kindle-exclusive viewing mode for some websites.

Also thanks about the warranty part. You're the first to tell me about dead kindles. Even though the Kindle isn't super expensive, I feel like within 2 years it can die out on me. Not only that, taking it to the gym will create a lot more problems lol.

Hmmm... Quick question... Why do I have a feeling that the nook is more supportive than the kindle. For example, nooks updates seem to be bigger than the kindles.

Last edited by RedNara; 12-03-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
1) I noticed how calibre can actually send your Kindle news feeds. All I have to do is keep my computer and calibre on, and make it automatically send news feed to my kindle. If I have the 3g version can I literally download these news feeds wherever I go? How fast does the kindle 3g version download these stuff?

A: Bear in mind that if you use your 3G to email what are classed as "personal documents" to your Kindle (which is what Calibre does with news feeds) you will be charged a small fee from Amazon. It is only free when using wifi to receive items. But 3G is fast for me not slow at all.

6) Is there any other cool things I can do with Kindles 3g? Like some kind of 3rd party app like Calibre that will let me easily access stuff.

A: Yes you can store all your ebooks with DropBox and you are able to use the Kindle web browser to access those and download straight to your Kindle for free. I use this method a lot. But actually with the 4GB space on a Kindle - you can simply store all your books on your Kindle.

Personally I would pay the extra for the 3G everytime. It has been useful to me many, many times for reading/writing emails when I've had no wifi access. Depends whether you think you'll often be without wifi I guess.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
I had this same dilemma and went with the 3g version. For forty more dollars I never have to worry about if I can connect or not. For Thanksgiving I was at my grandmothers house, and of course she is one of the few people still without internet, and all the wifi around her is locked. So thankfully I had my 3g Kindle and was able to get on the net anyway. Yay!
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
RedNara

TheKindleWorm
Wow! Didn't realize you can use drop box with the kindle. That's amazing! (any kind of fee associated with dropbox?)

Uggg... About that small fee with calibre and kindle... Is there a away around it?

Last edited by RedNara; 12-03-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNara View Post
Uggg... About that small fee with calibre and kindle... Is there a away around it?
Configure Calibre to mail to username@free.kindle.com. Then you will only get your updates via WiFi, and there will be no charge.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post

3) Unfortunately, you can't. You can only download TXT, MOBI and PRC files
But you can convert many files including pdf, to a prc on the free Mobi Pocket reader, save the files and then just open, should take you immediately to any Kindle reader you have.

I recommend this one: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp

I just got a Kindle 3 with 3G and Wifi and I love it! More features than I was aware of, faster than my iphone.
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
All of the above features mention for the 3G can be done on the wifi version as well. The only difference is that you must be in a wifi zone. If you use a router, your whole house is a wifi zone.

If you travel alot, then the 3G would probably be more convenient since you don't have to go look for a wifi zone.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
TheKindleWorm
Wow! Didn't realize you can use drop box with the kindle. That's amazing! (any kind of fee associated with dropbox?)
The fees are small $.15 per delivery. You can also set the limit to any price so if the delivery cost exceeds your limit it will route it to the free email.

What I ended up doing for my kindle/calibre solution was to route the calibre web server through my firewall and access it via my web browser.

3G is great, last week I took a cruise and was surfing the web for free and downloading a book as well.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You can sign up for a free 2 GB account at dropbox which is or should be plenty for most people to store their ebooks. No catches that I'm aware of and it's handy simply as a backup facility.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've been using Dropbox for quite a while now and it's a great service, especially considering the price. That it can be used with the Kindle is absolutely wonderful for me. I'm soooo desperate for Santa to arrive!
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
RedNara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrake View Post
Configure Calibre to mail to username@free.kindle.com. Then you will only get your updates via WiFi, and there will be no charge.
I thought there was no charge on wifi anyway... I thought the charge was only for 3g users.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #14
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
I thought there was no charge on wifi anyway... I thought the charge was only for 3g users.
There is no charge for wifi delivery because it's using your home wifi network or presumably one of the freebies available when you're out and about.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote