Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #3526
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A mini rant: I used occasionally to buy Downpour's deals when there was one a week. Now that they're daily, it's the same type of junk that Audible offers every day. I really would like to give Downpour more business, but they make it very hard. I bought nothing in the last sale because it was too hard to find books.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #3527
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A mini rant: I used occasionally to buy Downpour's deals when there was one a week. Now that they're daily, it's the same type of junk that Audible offers every day. I really would like to give Downpour more business, but they make it very hard. I bought nothing in the last sale because it was too hard to find books.
Issy I totally agree. I have almost completely stopped buying audiobooks because of this. I am using the public library and work library more than buying books.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #3528
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Sync Audio -- Weekly Offers -- FAQs & Help -- exp 26 Jul @ 7 AM ET

Quote:
Week 13 -- Our final week of the 2018 SYNC season brings a couple of special audiobook treats. Both are likely to surprise you and offer good reminders that, when we’re open to making discoveries, both adventure and insight are going to follow.
FREE -- Monstrous Beauty -- Elizabeth Fama/ K Kellgren --> 8.0 hrs --> fiction
Quote:
NOT Available in UK or British Commonwealth (except Canada, New Zealand, Europe)

Fierce, seductive mermaid Syrenka falls in love with Ezra, a young naturalist. When she abandons her life underwater for a chance at happiness on land, she is unaware that this decision comes with horrific and deadly consequences. Almost one hundred forty years later, seventeen-year-old Hester meets a mysterious stranger named Ezra and feels overwhelmingly, inexplicably drawn to him. For generations, love has resulted in death for the women in her family. Is it an undiagnosed genetic defect . . . or a curse? With Ezra's help, Hester investigates her family's strange, sad history. The answers she seeks are waiting in the graveyard, the crypt, and at the bottom of the ocean—but powerful forces will do anything to keep her from uncovering her connection to Syrenka and to the tragedy of so long ago.
FREE -- The Lost World -- Sir Arthur C Doyle/ G McCready --> 8.7 hrs --> classic
Quote:
The Lost World was written fairly late in Conan Doyle’s career (1912), and stands as a work of early science fiction, fitting comfortably next to the likes of Wells, Haggard, Verne and Burroughs. It is also a book that uses Darwinian evolutionary theory as a thread in the narrative (although there are occasions where the science dips into early 20th-century prejudice). It was the inspiration for many other books and films that took its central premise as their starting point. And it is peopled with characters that are as brimful of energy and determination as Doyle himself – as well as some surprising political references and far more humor than readers of the Sherlock Holmes stories have much right to expect.

The basis of the story is the possibility that there might be dinosaurs still living on the earth, unaffected by the usual evolutionary forces at work elsewhere. Dinosaurs have long exercised a peculiar fascination for the public, from those who still hunt Loch Ness monsters to those who finance huge-budget (and huge audience) films, but this was one of the first books to use them as a central part of the story. The other factor gripping the public of the time was the very existence of unknown parts of the globe and what they might contain – travelers were returning from previously unknown places (especially Africa and South America, where The Lost World is set) with astonishing stories. At the same time, paleontology was becoming extremely popular – Doyle himself found some dinosaur footprints in Sussex, something that may well have inspired the book. Uniting these popular themes (and using his own scientific understanding and his many contacts in the world of science and exploration to give them credibility), Doyle then introduced his cast of characters – the love-struck journalist Edward Malone, who does what any self-respecting Edwardian would do to impress his beloved: ask to go on a life-threatening assignment. This is exactly the kind of get-up-and-go that Doyle himself possessed, and he seems to think any lack of it is indicative of a failing of moral fiber. Then there is Professor Summerlee, a rather meticulous scientist; Lord John Roxton, an adventurer; and finally, the simply extraordinary Professor Challenger – vast, booming, powerful, utterly convinced of his own rightness, and prepared to take on the establishment with his fists if need be.

All of these characters are drawn with a freshness and brio that suggests Doyle was enjoying himself; but he was also making a few veiled political statements. While Challenger was (loosely) based on William Rutherford, and Summerlee on another professor Doyle had studied with at Edinburgh, the people who inspired Roxton and Malone were based on more contentious figures, two of whom ended up being arrested for treason during WWI, and one of whom went missing searching for a lost city in Brazil. Edmund Morel was one of the bases for Malone. Morel had campaigned against the appalling treatment of the people in the Congo, and Doyle had lectured with him on the slavery that resulted from colonial trading. But he was a pacifist (which Doyle was not), and was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment after the publication of some leaflets. One of Roxton’s originals was the British diplomat, Roger Casement. Again, Doyle approved of Casement’s work against the slavery associated with rubber plantations; but Casement was also an Irish nationalist, and his attempts to get the Germans to free any Irish prisoners of war in return for German assistance to fight the British were discovered, and Casement was executed. Colonel Percy Fawcett, a surveyor, archaeologist and explorer, was also an inspiration for Roxton – and he and his son both disappeared in 1925 (The Lost City of Z).

But the fact that such people existed and were public figures, the science underlying the Boy’s Own adventure genre, the thrill of the unknown being discovered - all these fueled the public passion for such adventurous imaginings. And if there was ever a man to feed a passion for adventurous imaginings, Arthur Conan Doyle was he. ~ Roy McMillan

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-19-2018 at 07:22 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #3529
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Issy I totally agree. I have almost completely stopped buying audiobooks because of this. I am using the public library and work library more than buying books.
My primary source for audiobooks is the public library. The only books I buy are those in series that I want to keep, and then I limit my spending to no more than $3 per book (think Audible promos $0.00~$2.99 per month for x months).
Old 07-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #3530
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Today's offering from Downpour, The Liar's Girl, is pretty good if you like the suspense genre; I listened to it when it came out earlier this year.

Seems like too often the daily offerings from Audible and Downpour are either SF/fantasy or self-help, which I won't touch. And, in Audible's case, there seem to be a lot of KU Whispersync titles, a few of which I've listened to for free when I had a KU membership.

I'm using my libraries more than ever, with my Audible credits going only for certain favorite authors, or when books aren't available in Overdrive. I like the fact that Audible is now adding a little banner on the cover images indicating Audible exclusives; it saves me the time of checking elsewhere.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #3531
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 20 Jul @ 11:59 PM BST

* Total Competition: Lessons in Strategy from Formula One
Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #3532
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 20 Jul @ 11:59 PM PT

* Emotional Success: The Power of Gratitude, Compassion, and Pride
Old 07-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #3533
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 21 Jul @ 11:59 PM BST
Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #3534
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 21 Jul @ 11:59 PM PT
Old 07-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #3535
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 22 Jul @ 11:59 PM BST
  • £1.99 -- Dead Wrong (book 1) -- Helen H Durrant --> thriller
Old 07-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #3536
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
A rare freebie from Libro.fm.

Quote:
Eva Leigh’s deliciously sexy Wicked Quills of London series continues as a Lady’s secret career writing erotic fiction is jeopardized by real-life romance . . .

In society circles she’s known as the Watching Wallflower—shy, quiet, and certainly never scandalous. Yet beneath Lady Sarah Frampton’s demure façade hides the mind of The Lady of Dubious Quality, author of the most titillating erotic fiction the ton has ever seen. Sarah knows discoverywould lead to her ruin, but marriage—to a vicar, no less—could help protect her from slander. An especially tempting option when the clergyman in question is the handsome, intriguing Jeremy Cleland.

Tasked with unmasking London’s most scandalous author by his powerful family, Jeremy has no idea that his beautiful, innocent bride is the very woman he seeks to destroy. His mission must remain a secret, even from the new wife who stirs his deepest longings. Yet when the truth comes to light, Sarah and Jeremy’s newfound love will be tested. Will Sarah’s secret identity tear them apart or will the temptations of his wallflower wife prove too wicked to resist?
Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 AM   #3537
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 22 Jul @ 11:59 PM PT
Old 07-22-2018, 04:17 AM   #3538
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
A rare freebie from Libro.fm.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
Thanks - too bad it's romance.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:44 AM   #3539
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Libro.fm Launches Kiss Club

This is why Libro.fm is giving away the free audiobook skinmaan posted about.

Quote:
Welcome to the Libro.fm Kiss Club!

Each month we feature great romance audiobooks for you to choose from for only $3.99 each! No strings (or bookmarks) attached!

Sign up to receive Kiss Club updates in your inbox, plus more from Libro.fm, Avon and HarperAudio.
Quote:
As a thank-you for joining the Kiss Club, we’d like to give you Temptations of a Wallflower by Eva Leigh for free. No strings attached.

Quote:
We've partnered with @HarperAudio to launch Kiss Club! Each month we will feature a selection of @avonbooks audiobooks at a low price and with no monthly commitment. See this month's selection here: https://www.libro.fm/kissclub #KissClub #romance #audiobooks
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #3540
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Thanks an audiobook I'm actually interested in. Libro is a new site to me.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote