Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2024, 08:38 PM   #1
minervamcdonalds
minervamcdonalds began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 FW 5.6.1
Help with safely restoring a jailbroken Kindle

Hello there. My googlefu couldn't help me with this one, so I'm opening a thread.

I own a PW2 (SN 90D4) on FW 5.6.1. Since 2016, I believe, with help from this very forum, I Jailbroke it, installed Kual and the screensavers hack and never looked back.

Then, yesterday, after all these years, the Screensavers hack stopped working. No idea why, it simply gave up, and I had to look at the stock screensavers for the first time in years. It took me sometime to relearn how to install it, but I did it (the .bin file in mrpackages folder).

Sometimes I've wonder what would it take to safely restore it, without losing the jailbreak and without upgrading its firmware. There is years and years of old folders, files, whatever, that I want to get rid of, and have a "new kindle" experience again. The bug with the screensavers hack finally made me look more into the matter, but no luck so far.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

tl;dr: best way to restore a kindle pw2 in ancient firmware without losing the jailbreak or upgrading the firmware and being able to install kual again.
minervamcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:45 PM   #2
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
The latest firmware for the PW2 is 5.12.2.2 and is still jailbreakable. No worries about that. However there have been significant changes to the Kindle UI between your and that. You can downgrade after a jailbreak, but I'm not sure if/where any limits to that would be between versions.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert