Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2024, 11:19 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
New calibre action: All GUI actions

I added a new action, All GUI actions, that displays a menu of all the built-in and plugin actions. This image shows it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	206452

Reasoning:
  • It aids with discovery, showing what actions are in calibre. Depending on how things go, it might eventually get added to the default toolbar built by the Welcome wizard.
  • It gives easy access to actions that aren't on any menu or toolbar, which is the main reason I built it for my own use. It doesn't replace the Favorites plugin because it isn't configurable.
  • It (usually) shows shortcuts. There are a few cases where a shortcut can't be mapped back to its action.
It is a "normal" action that can be put on a toolbar, menu bar, or context menu. It can have a keyboard shortcut.

The actions change along with the toolbars etc when you connect to a device. It is disabled when looking at the device list.

The changes are in calibre master source.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Awesome

I liked especially the availability of the Shortcuts dialog more directly, without having to go through Preferences, as I had once asked here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4276925
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, I think it's somethong it's going to go to my menu as soon as it's available.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:56 PM   #4
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You're right.

I can access Look & feel and Searching by right clicking relevant icons in the status bar:
I keep forgetting that the Layout action icons in the status bar are right-clickable!
Old 02-19-2024, 10:03 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@BetterRed:
Attachment 206454

They show wherever the preference menu can show. This example show it them in the main context menu.
Attachment 206455

They are bog-standard menu items that should be visible whereever you want. I know they work in Favorites and Action Chains. This also lets you can assign a shortcut to individual preference dialogs.
The second screenshots shows an unescaped ampersand in "Look _Feel" and "Toolbars _Menus."
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2024, 10:10 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The second screenshots shows an unescaped ampersand in "Look _Feel" and "Toolbars _Menus."
Fixed.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:55 AM   #7
Comfy.n

Quote:
This also lets you can assign a shortcut to individual preference dialogs.
Yep. Running from latest source, I was finally able to set up a keyboard shortcut to the Shortcuts dialog

(just make sure to check the option "Disable wait cursor for this action" in Action Chains, for this to work smoothly)
Old 02-19-2024, 10:59 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Yep. Running from latest source, I was finally able to set up a keyboard shortcut to the Shortcuts dialog

(just make sure to check the option "Disable wait cursor for this action" in Action Chains, for this to work smoothly)
Or set a native shortcut without using action chains via Preferences / Shortcuts. Go to the Preferences section in Shortcuts then set the shortcut for "Shortcuts" (or any other panel you want)
Old 02-19-2024, 11:04 AM   #9
Comfy.n

Quote:
Or set a native shortcut without using action chains via Preferences / Shortcuts. Go to the Preferences section in Shortcuts then set the shortcut for "Shortcuts" (or any other panel you want)
Oh, I hadn't noticed! Now we have a native Shortcuts' keyboard shortcut setting.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:15 AM   #10
Comfy.n

I've spotted another extra ampersand:

Name:	2024-02-19 13_14_10-calibre - Preferences - Shortcuts.png
Views:	41
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	206460
Old 02-19-2024, 06:38 PM   #11
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Nifty idea.

Maybe it's just me, but I was completely confused at first by the section labeling. The two plugins listed together as the submenu title had nothing to do with each other.

Even after I figured out it was the complete plugin list, I thought Add Books - Convert Books meant 'Add book, sub category Convert books' not
'Add books' through 'Convert books' alphabetically.

I would consider 'A - C', 'C - L' etc instead, and always have A and Z as the endpoints. Or list them all at once and let it scroll.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:11 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Even after I figured out it was the complete plugin list, I thought Add Books - Convert Books meant 'Add book, sub category Convert books' not 'Add books' through 'Convert books' alphabetically.
Didn't expanding the submenu where you saw the sublist clear it up?
Quote:
I would consider 'A - C', 'C - L' etc instead, and always have A and Z as the endpoints.
What about Add Books to Convert Books (change '-' to 'to')? That might expose some language/translation issues.

I could do A - C etc but then I think I would have to partition by first letter, as I did in the Tag browser. That isn't outrageously hard but I need to convince myself it is enough better to justify the work.
Quote:
Or list them all at once and let it scroll.
Counting user plugins there could be a *lot* of menu lines. That would certainly lead to usability and possibly "won't fit on my small screen" problems.

Last edited by chaley; 02-20-2024 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:24 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
I've spotted another extra ampersand:
Fixed.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:21 AM   #14
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Hihi, you can do some pretty funny things

Name:	Capture d’écran 2024-02-20 084601.png
Views:	52
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	206472
(All GUI action, in All GUI action...)

For the name range, I prefer '-' because the 'to' is a text, it doesn't stand out from the two action names (where is the end of the first name? the beginning of the second?).

I tried partitioning with just the first letter. It works, but I find the result a bit empty, I prefer the full name. I admit it's a little confusing the first time, but you soon get the hang of it, so not a problem.

Name:	Capture d’écran 2024-02-20 085809.png
Views:	48
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	206473

Last edited by un_pogaz; 02-20-2024 at 03:31 AM.
un_pogaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:12 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
Hihi, you can do some pretty funny things
Attachment 206472
(All GUI action, in All GUI action...)
I thought about removing the All GUI action from the list of available actions but decided against it. Reasoning: the list should be complete, and having the (recursive) action there doesn't break anything.
Quote:
For the name range, I prefer '-' because the 'to' is a text, it doesn't stand out from the two action names (where is the end of the first name? the beginning of the second?).
And it introduces language problems. For example, I think that in French it should be "de AAA à BBB", meaning we would need to support text in front of the first action, between the actions, and quite possibly after the second action.
Quote:
I tried partitioning with just the first letter. It works, but I find the result a bit empty, I prefer the full name. I admit it's a little confusing the first time, but you soon get the hang of it, so not a problem.
Attachment 206473
I agree. However, if I did it I would separate the actions into first letter groups so that a given letter only appears once. Example:
Code:
A - C
D - H