Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2024, 02:43 PM   #1
Archibald Yates
Archibald Yates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th. gen., Kindle Oasis 8th. gen., Kindle Touch
Pubdate in export title minus one

Hello!

I have a huge library of daily newspapers for Kindle in .mobi format. (Actually it is .pobi which I have simply renamed to .mobi to make them readable for Calibre.)

Now I want to convert them all to .ePub and to export them. After fiddling a bit with the export options the exported files look okay. But to my surprise the naming of the exported .ePub files is causing trouble:

I use the date format: %d.%m.%Y
And the file name should be: {title} (Kindle-Ausgabe) {pubdate}

"Kindle-Ausgabe" means "Kindle issue" in German, by the way.

But I don't get the publishing date that is displayed in the library's publishing date column but the publishing date minus one day when I export them. Having the proper publishing date is crucial for a daily newspaper, of course.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated!
Archibald Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 03:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
this might be a time zone issue.
A difference on where it was published and your system
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2024, 05:00 PM   #3
Archibald Yates

The newspapers were published in the same time zone. Unless it does matter that Amazon is located in the US.

But why could that be a problem at all? Do the e-books have timezone related timestamps or are their publish dates simple strings containing a date? It should be like that, because a newspaper published on July 10th in California is still a newspaper published on July 10th when read in Australia.

And the publish date is something set in the generating of the .pobi file, it is not the creation date of the file nor the download date. The former would be the day before the publish date and the latter would be sometimes later.

Last edited by Archibald Yates; 02-18-2024 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:13 PM   #4
Archibald Yates

I have found this from quite a while ago.

So if it is actually a timezone problem, would it be possible to create a custom column with has pubdate + 1? And to use it in export instead of the original pubdate? And if so, how?
Old 02-17-2024, 10:34 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use the calibre template language for this:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2024, 03:12 AM   #6
Archibald Yates

Hello Kovid, thank you for your reply. And an even bigger thank you for the great software in general!

I have looked at the template language. But how could I provide a simple {pubdate+1} date in the name of the exported ePubs? I am not sure about the code I would have to use—date_arithmetic({pubdate}, 1d)?—and even more so where to put it.

And if it is all about the metadata's time stamp that includes the time zone why is Calibre handling this time stamp differently in the library window than in export?

Last edited by Archibald Yates; 02-18-2024 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:28 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because in the library window it is shown in local timezone in export the UTC timezone is exported
Old 02-18-2024, 04:11 AM   #8
Archibald Yates

Okay. But how do I get the proper (local) date into the file name? What are the specific steps?
Old 02-18-2024, 04:25 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

change the template from {pubdate} to whatever you need using date_arithmetic
Old 02-18-2024, 04:36 AM   #10
Archibald Yates

But where do I put date_arithmetic?

It does not work here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-18 um 10.33.52.png
Views:	21
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	206441  
Old 02-18-2024, 04:39 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Code:
{date_arithmetic(pubdate, whatever)}
Old 02-18-2024, 04:48 AM   #12
Archibald Yates

Result:
PHP Code:
EXCEPTIONWertUnbekanntes Feld date_arithmetic(pubdate1d
"Wert" is value and "Unbekanntes Feld" is unknown field.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-18 um 10.54.17.png
Views:	30
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	206442  

Last edited by Archibald Yates; 02-18-2024 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:52 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Look at the template language documentation for Single Function Mode, which is what you are trying to use. You will see that it requires the field to be operated, a colon, and the function to apply. As in:
Code:
{pubdate:date_arithmetic(1d)}
You might want to add the "format" argument the date_arithmetic() function. The format string is described in the date_format() function documentation.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:35 PM   #14
Archibald Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Look at the template language documentation for Single Function Mode, which is what you are trying to use. You will see that it requires the field to be operated, a colon, and the function to apply. As in:
Code:
{pubdate:date_arithmetic(1d)}
You might want to add the "format" argument the date_arithmetic() function. The format string is described in the date_format() function documentation.
That did help, thank you.

Luckily, I had tested the new export naming formula on both my newest and my oldest newspaper file with more than a decade between them. So I found out that, in order to maintain the suspense, Amazon seems to have used a different time zone, identical to mine, until some day in the early 2010s.

I am searching for the exact date of the switch because before that I will simply need {pubdate}. Sigh.