Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-09-2024, 01:37 PM   #1
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Can I rsync my library?

My laptop was my daily driver for 7ish years, then about six months back I finally built a proper new desktop tower. I did a one-time export of my Calibre configs and libraries over to the new desktop with the assumption that it would become my daily driver, but for various reasons it continues to be my laptop. Now the library is out of sync again.

Both the laptop and the PC are running Linux. Can I safely rsync the Calibre Library directory between the two endpoints directly? This would be easier than my current method of using a flash-drive go-between (e.g. rsyncing from laptop -> flash drive, then flash-drive -> desktop). I had heard it was a bad idea to try to rsync across different OS's, but if they're both Linux, I'm assuming it should be fine?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:13 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It seems fine doing a one-way rysnc, But I only change stuff on one Linux box. Also I use a preset settings via grsync that only overwrites old files and never removes anything.

You may end up with extra caltrash, or extra stuff, so occasionally I do an export, copy that to server, delete calibre library on server and laptop and then (g)rysnc.
The export is then an archive. I might delete an archives export after a new one is made.
Keep both Linux and Calibre at same revision.
I do also have a test linux box and a VM with Win10 (but only a few ebooks on that) out of curiosity.

I use my workstation which has a 4K screen and UPS. I rsync to a server. I rsync from that to a laptop if I'm going out somewhere, and then I don't change anything on Calibre.
I might edit or write LO Writer or plain text when out, and then manually copy via lan back to workstation.

I also do backups using Timeshift and direct copies to Ext4 USB HDD.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2024, 02:25 PM   #3
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It seems fine doing a one-way rysnc, But I only change stuff on one Linux box. Also I use a preset settings via grsync that only overwrites old files and never removes anything.
Looking at screenshots of grsync--does it have the ability to do a verbose dry-run before running like the cmdline does?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FreeFileSync works very well and can do a one way sync. It's very easy to use. There is a Linux version.

Given that both are Linux, it will be fine.

https://freefilesync.org
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:58 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Looking at screenshots of grsync--does it have the ability to do a verbose dry-run before running like the cmdline does?
FreeFileSync can show you what it's going to do before it does it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 07:54 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FreeFileSync can show you what it's going to do before it does it.
So can rsync / grsync
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, rsync