Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2022, 03:30 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I was given the latest gen Kindle Basic. Not something I would have purchased for myself, but it will work to replace my current travel reader. Surprisingly, the screen looks pretty good when I look at it away from my other readers. When I put it next to my Oasis 3, though, the basic looks somewhat...muddy, I guess. I haven't checked it next to any of the others yet. I'm not sure if I will...it doesn't need to be perfect. It was a gift, and I love the person who gave it to me, so that's all that matters

Shari
I am curious. How does the Kindle Basic 2022 compare to the PW3? I've read that it's similar and better then the PW4 (not hard to have abetter screen).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:56 PM   #17
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Me and my other half exchanged Kindle Scribes. Both over the moon with it. Been doing PDF puzzles non-stop since Christmas Day plus reading on the beautiful screen. Greatly exceeded expectations. Favorite Kindle so far, and I’ve had most over the years.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #18
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am curious. How does the Kindle Basic 2022 compare to the PW3? I've read that it's similar and better then the PW4 (not hard to have abetter screen).
Unfortunately, my daughter is using my PW3 right now, and I don't have access to it to compare. I can tell you that the screen is definitely better than the Oasis 2, but as I said, not quite as good as the Oasis 3. The Voyage still beats them all, screen-wise, but unfortunately, the battery doesn't last very long anymore.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:43 PM   #19
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
You all must have fun Christmas time. I don't ever receive this kind of stuff for gifts, and don't buy it for others as my family are not readers and wouldn't touch an e-ink reader. My dad uses a Fire for browsing and apps.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:04 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
You all must have fun Christmas time. I don't ever receive this kind of stuff for gifts, and don't buy it for others as my family are not readers and wouldn't touch an e-ink reader.
You're not alone. Same here.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
It's funny because my first e-reader was a 5'', a Sony PRS300. When I switched to Kobo some years later, I debated with myself a lot because I couldn't imagine to ever wanting to read on a bigger screen (case in point: I got a Mini, first ). Skip ahead 10 years and now I feel the 7'' screen size and I are a match made in heaven (and I can honestly say that despite having a bunch of other ereaders around, I only use my Libra H2O no matter what)
For me, it is line length. I didn't like reading trade paperbacks back in the day and in my mind the 6.8"-7" screen is that size.

I've really only glanced at larger readers in the store here and there. Maybe if I got one I would be fine with it. But I'm also find with the 6" screens, so why go buy a new device?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...the screen looks pretty good when I look at it away from my other readers. When I put it next to my Oasis 3, though, the basic looks somewhat...muddy, I guess.
That's what I see when comparing my Clara to the Clara 2E.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:45 PM   #23
skimby
skimby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Got gifted a Libra 2 as my first e-reader. I'm absolutely loving it. Already read an entire book in a matter of days whereas it would have taken me months without.
skimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:12 PM   #24
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I got a present that arrived after Christmas, NOT an e-reader, but most definitely reading related.

It's a floor lamp, but one that can be used as both a reading lamp AND a light therapy lamp!

What it's super great for, as I discovered this morning, is proofreading an epub against print! That's something I try not to have to do as my eyes no longer enjoy print, but occasionally I must, and this lamp, even on yet another gloomy winter day, made it FAR easier and almost pleasant.

Hopefully it keeps some of the winter SAD depression at bay at the same time. Nothing like multi-tasking!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:19 PM   #25
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I got a present that arrived after Christmas, NOT an e-reader, but most definitely reading related.

It's a floor lamp, but one that can be used as both a reading lamp AND a light therapy lamp!

What it's super great for, as I discovered this morning, is proofreading an epub against print! That's something I try not to have to do as my eyes no longer enjoy print, but occasionally I must, and this lamp, even on yet another gloomy winter day, made it FAR easier and almost pleasant.

Hopefully it keeps some of the winter SAD depression at bay at the same time. Nothing like multi-tasking!
Sounds nice! Lamps or lighting sources really can make more different with living and lifestyle than some give them credit for.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Try putting all daylight bulbs in your house. I did years ago, and we love the difference it makes.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:48 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Try putting all daylight bulbs in your house. I did years ago, and we love the difference it makes.
Apache
Horror. I prefer dimly lit rooms. In bright light I feel like I'm on stage or something.

But then I'm a night owl in general and seldom go out in bright daylight, except in summer (when sun sets very late here, so I have no choice). Bright room lighting would spoil my night vision.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Everyone is different. We actually leave most of the lights off at night. When I get up in the middle of the night, I do not turn on any lights. I can see very well in the dark. But when I need to see I want a well-lit room. I also have always hated the yellowish cast of incandescent bulbs.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 01-04-2023 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Add text
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:30 AM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I also have always hated the yellowish cast of incandescent bulbs.
Apache
Heh, weird. I've always loved that yellow cast. One man's bread and so on...
Old 01-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I had to look up a light therapy lamp.