Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #46
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Apparently this library recently obtained $265,000 in a GoFundMe funds, but that won't "last long." Huh? This is a small library in a town of 8,000 to 10,000 people, how big does their operating budget need to be?
Overdrive licensing fees will kill that pretty quickly, assuming they have one.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:09 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
What boggles my mind is that your knowledge on this somehow excludes you from knowing how to speak to the less knowledgeable without offense.
Perhaps you've made the mistake of assuming it's my goal to never offend anyone??
Advert
Old 11-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #48
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The idea of us being in separate communities is strange to me.
"Communities". "Groups". "Fellowships". "Associations". To me, this word choice does not matter. They are synonyms in this context.

I have seen "LGBT lifestyle" and "LGBT community" both used very frequently in news articles on on TV. And recently. Maybe even last night. But I don't really know, because word choices within the normal spectrum are not something I pay great attention to. And the common-ness and frequency of these terms are why I chose those words. I thought they were common, standard terms, and not offensive.

I have now been told in no uncertain terms that "lifestyle" is bad. That's fine, I will strive not to say that again. From the posts subsequent to where I said that, I have deduced that "community" is acceptable, as many of the responses used that particular word. jhowell is the only one who has said anything against that word, but I take his mention as more of a general comment than an admonishment.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:14 PM   #49
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Perhaps you've made the mistake of assuming it's my goal to never offend anyone??
I don't think anyone would ever make that mistake.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:15 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Overdrive licensing fees will kill that pretty quickly, assuming they have one.
I looked up their annual budget, it's $245,000. The 10 year "millage" as (apparently) they call it in Michigan (instead of a bond) would be about two and a half million dollars (I'm guessing). Apparently the old "millage" will fund the library through the first quarter of 2023, then there is $325,000 in reserves and the additional $265,000 raised in a GoFundMe campaign. So, despite the hyperbolic headlines, this library is not in imminent danger of closing.
Advert
Old 11-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #51
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
ETA: and defunding libraries is not only about book access. Libraries are often a refuge and information/resource hub for many many people in various sorts of straits and situations - everything from homelessness and family violence to seniors learning how to use tech to connect with the world.
In today's world, actual access to any locally banned book is pretty trivial with Amazon, if you have money. Or with shadow libraries like Library Genesis in existence; provided, of course that the person wanting access has the tech knowledge and hardware - another socially separating condition.

The real irreplaceable loss is the friendly physical space a library should be, as I know from a long life of loving visits to libraries.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #52
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
In today's world, actual access to any locally banned book is pretty trivial with Amazon, if you have money. Or with shadow libraries like Library Genesis in existence; provided, of course that the person wanting access has the tech knowledge and hardware - another socially separating condition.
Interestingly, another shadow library (not Library Genesis) recently got their domain names seized after it went viral on TikTok; it seems this attracted the attention of the Authors Guild and then the FBI. Whoops.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:08 PM   #53
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
In today's world, actual access to any locally banned book is pretty trivial with Amazon, if you have money.
Amazon China banned many books before they mostly closed in China, probably including most of the books about China that I might have wanted to read.

Here is an example of a book found in public libraries but banned from the U.S. Amazon, Amazon.com:

https://search.overdrive.com/media/3...y-became-sally

(I have not read the book, and Amazon may have reasons for banning it that I would find reasonable -- except that I find book banning, whether by governments, or large booksellers, totally unacceptable.)

I don't know what the future holds, but today's American public libraries buy and hold books from a wide variety of POV's -- often wider than Amazon.

Quote:
So, despite the hyperbolic headlines, this library is not in imminent danger of closing.
I hope you are correct. A lot of U.S. public libraries are owned by the government, and a lot are fully independent despite accepting funds from, among other parties, the local government. I couldn't find on the Patmos Library web site how their board members are choosen, although they obviously are trying to stay open.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-14-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:28 PM   #54
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Apparently the old "millage" will fund the library through the first quarter of 2023, then there is $325,000 in reserves and the additional $265,000 raised in a GoFundMe campaign.
One GoFundMe has closed after raising $264,535. The November 11 update gives the reason for the decision to close at that amount.

There is another campaign still open for those who may want to contribute to keeping this library open.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:01 PM   #55
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I am going by the article that was linked in the first post. By refusing to remove a controversial book from circulation the librarians took a side on a social issue. I happen to agree with them, but it was still taking a side. If it had been a book promoting violent white nationalism or pedophilia I would have agreed with those who felt that it did not belong in a public library.
You could have written this whole post without having comparing being LGBTQIA+ to being a violent white nationalist or paedophile, yet you chose not to.

Try recasting it without including violent criminals. Like, say, "if it had been a book with Black characters". Or "if it had been a book about disabled identity".

Last edited by meeera; 11-14-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #56
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In today's world, actual access to any locally banned book is pretty trivial with Amazon, if you have money.
Given that this particular repressive outrage was largely about the existence of access to books with LGBTQIA+ characters by marginalised young people, that's a pretty big "if", isn't it?
Old 11-14-2022, 09:06 PM   #57
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You could have written this whole post without having comparing being LGBTQIA+ to being a violent white nationalist or paedophile, yet you chose not to.

Try recasting it without including violent criminals. Like, say, "if it had been a book with Black characters". Or "if it had been a book about disabled identity".
I apologize. I was trying to come up with an extreme example. It was not my intent to make a comparison.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:30 PM   #58
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I apologize. I was trying to come up with an extreme example. It was not my intent to make a comparison.
If you are not aware of the long history of maliciously comparing queer people with child molesters, which is increasingly active and toxic at this time, and which your post reinforced, perhaps this is a conversation you could better learn from quietly.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #59
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you are not aware of the long history of maliciously comparing queer people with child molesters, which is increasingly active and toxic at this time, and which your post reinforced, perhaps this is a conversation you could better learn from quietly.
That comparison didn’t come to mind when I wrote that post, perhaps because I don’t associate with people that think that way.

At this point I feel that I am walking through a minefield so I will exit this thread.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:02 PM   #60
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Given that this particular repressive outrage was largely about the existence of access to books with LGBTQIA+ characters by marginalised young people, that's a pretty big "if", isn't it?
Yes. Making it another driver for the shadow libraries.
Closed Thread