Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #61
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That's hilarious that someone actually complained.
I remember that TV stations got complaints over the time-loop episode "Cause and Effect" of Star Trek: The Next Generation, because viewers thought the station was erroneously broadcasting the same episode segment over and over. People who don't pay careful attention can easily miss what a writer is trying to do, especially when it comes to science fiction.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:46 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
People who don't pay careful attention can easily miss what a writer is trying to do, especially when it comes to science fiction.
The excellent Leslie Nielsen comedy series Police Squad! was cancelled because (as the president of ABC said) "...you had to actually pay attention in order to get the jokes."

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There was a complaint in a fanzine back in late 1959/early 1960 after Flowers for Algernon was published in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction about the author overusing mis-spelling and grammar errors.
Just copying one of James Joyce more experimental works.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:33 PM   #64
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I remember in the past (2014) I had a habit of reading and returning books from Amazon, just like they are suggesting, and it was self-service. However, after doing it too much they basically removed the return to Kindle self service feature. Now I have to ask.

I don't like it if they ask that only if a book is 10% read, because sometimes I will start a book and then skim it if I am not liking it. If I get to like 25% then I am done. However, I will have skimmed past a lot of pages.

I'm sitting on a book right now that I am not liking but paid a lot for with Amazon and have skimmed and skipped chapters but I am just not going to be reading it.

There has to be a better way. Just saying that you have read 10% isn't enough.
Rellwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I'm sitting on a book right now that I am not liking but paid a lot for with Amazon and have skimmed and skipped chapters but I am just not going to be reading it.
If you're skimming and skipping and know the book just isn't for you, why not return it? Why persist and keep plugging through until you are unable to return it?
Advert
Old 10-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you're skimming and skipping and know the book just isn't for you, why not return it? Why persist and keep plugging through until you are unable to return it?
You can do that with a library, but I never heard of it with a physical bookshop. Same applies to buying music and video. Unless it's physically faulty. Or paintings/prints/fine art.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:47 PM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can do that with a library, but I never heard of it with a physical bookshop. Same applies to buying music and video. Unless it's physically faulty. Or paintings/prints/fine art.
I think you didn't read what I was replying to. Your response felt like a non-sequitur.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #68
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Actually, while I haven't done it lately, I know that you used to be able to return books to Borders and Barnes and Noble no questions asked. There were quite a few times that I got books as gifts and returned them--I was never asked how much of the book I had read, or if I had read any of it at all. In fact, I was never asked for a reason why I was returning it at all. In some cases I would have a receipt for the book, and get cash back. If I didn't have a receipt, I would just exchange it for a different book.

I've also returned CDs/Vinyl records/cassette tapes many times over the years.

Of course, this is in the US...I know that Quoth is not from the US, so maybe in the country that they live in returns aren't allowed unless the item is "physically faulty"?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:20 AM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Of course, this is in the US...I know that Quoth is not from the US, so maybe in the country that they live in returns aren't allowed unless the item is "physically faulty"?

Shari
[….]

You often have to "threaten" Supermarkets and foreign owned multiple stores in Ireland with Small Claims Court to get them to refund / replace/ repair goods "not as advertised", "not fit for use", or "failed due to maker's defects". EU SOGA consumer protection is signed into local laws with various names. Not rescinded yet in UK and also applies in countries that want an EU relationship. Apple fined in Italy for charging for warranty. Protection (more than most warranties) is 1 year to 6 years depending on type of goods (a gadget might be 1 year, a freezer 6 years).

Usually Customer Service person calls a supervisor. I don't know of anyone that has had to invoke Small Claims court. It's common to have to actually start that process with companies like Digital River, or if past their return period, Amazon or eBay. It doesn't matter where you are based. If you are selling to a country, that country's laws apply, not your own made up rules or location where the HQ is.

Similarly in USA each State may have different Sales tax that is applied at checkout.
EU isn't a Federation like USA or Confederation like Switzerland. The countries involved pass their own laws. The EU parliament is elected from the people in members voting. Close trade partners not in EU have to implement EU directives on Consumer Protection, anti-money laundering, level playing field for trade, free judiciary, meet Democratic standards, anti-corruption, tax & banking transparency. [….]

Last edited by issybird; 10-20-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Poltical stuff edited out.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #70
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, while I haven't done it lately, I know that you used to be able to return books to Borders and Barnes and Noble no questions asked. There were quite a few times that I got books as gifts and returned them--I was never asked how much of the book I had read, or if I had read any of it at all. In fact, I was never asked for a reason why I was returning it at all. In some cases I would have a receipt for the book, and get cash back. If I didn't have a receipt, I would just exchange it for a different book.

I've also returned CDs/Vinyl records/cassette tapes many times over the years.

Shari
Lol... I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows in 48 hours and returned it to Barnes & Nobel...(2009)
Old 10-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #71
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The period for returning it has passed. I started it and left it alone for a while and tried to pick it up and put it down but it's been a couple of months and the order indicated that the return window has closed. I don't think I want to bug them about making an exception.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Lol... I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows in 48 hours and returned it to Barnes & Nobel...(2009)
Tells us pretty much everything we need to know about you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:13 AM   #73
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Tells us pretty much everything we need to know about you.
o/t I know, but I love your succinct comments
Have you tried writing poetry?

Last edited by Ned; 10-28-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
The period for returning it has passed. I started it and left it alone for a while and tried to pick it up and put it down but it's been a couple of months and the order indicated that the return window has closed. I don't think I want to bug them about making an exception.
Honestly, your comments back up my feelings that Amazons stricter return policy is probably the correct move.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
o/t I know, but I love your succinct comments
Have you tried writing poetry?

Thank you. I feel as if I’d be better served by sitting on my hands more often. At that, I use the back button more than people would probably imagine.

As to poetry, I love poetry and have too much respect for it to attempt it!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote