Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2022, 07:21 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
E Ink Claims E-reader Sales Increasing

E Ink unveils capacity expansion plans

Quote:
The shipments of e-reader modules could be 10 percent lower than E Ink’s estimates for this year, but they would still grow over last year, the company said. . . .

The company said it has seen a significant annual growth in e-reader shipments in the first half of this year.
I wonder what countries are seeing the most growth in eReading.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:44 AM   #2
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, I don't know.
They don't name any actual numbers and only talk about "annual" growth. Which might be a bit misleading, given the situation in the last couple of years.

You have to keep in mind, that for the first time in 10 years most of the big players (Amazon, Kobo, etc.) did not release any new devices in 2020, because of the pandemic and the supply shortage.

So yeah, it would make sense that there were lower sales in 2020 and much higher sales in 2021/2022, when the new Paperwhite and Kobo devices were released.

It would be interesting to see a comparison with numbers from before the pandemic.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post

It would be interesting to see a comparison with numbers from before the pandemic.

I wondered too if the pandemic itself might have caused a bump - in many places it became much easier to buy 1 device then download books onto it rather than making repeated trips to a physical bookstore
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #4
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
People don't go to bookstores. They go to amazon.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:07 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
During lockdown, the use of Overdrive shot up considerably.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
People don't go to bookstores. They go to amazon.
If that was 100% correct, there would be no bookstores. Granted, the number has dropped in recent years, but plenty of people still buy and read print books that are not purchased from Amazon. This site alone is home to many users who won't buy anything from Amazon, digital or tangible.

Thrift stores are wildly popular sources of used print books, and while not a "book store" still a popular source of books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If that was 100% correct, there would be no bookstores. Granted, the number has dropped in recent years, but plenty of people still buy and read print books that are not purchased from Amazon. This site alone is home to many users who won't buy anything from Amazon, digital or tangible.

Thrift stores are wildly popular sources of used print books, and while not a "book store" still a popular source of books.
When I was reading pBooks, it was a lot more enjoyable to go browsing a bookstore then it has even been browsing Amazon for books.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I was reading pBooks, it was a lot more enjoyable to go browsing a bookstore then it has even been browsing Amazon for books.
I loved good used book stores. Back in 2002-2003, our sons went to college in Louisville KY. That city had the best used book stores I've ever shopped in. I could even shop in them online via ABE Books. I always looked forward to browsing them when we visited there.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Yeah, I don't know.
They don't name any actual numbers and only talk about "annual" growth. Which might be a bit misleading, given the situation in the last couple of years.
The article also mentions “…offsetting weakening demand for e-reader and e-note products, E Ink said.” The trend is definitely downward for e-readers.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
E Ink unveils capacity expansion plans

I wonder what countries are seeing the most growth in eReading.
It's the electronic shelf labels (ESL) that are selling well.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:33 PM   #11
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
I admit I got more into e-readers during COVID. I wasn't aware you could send library books to your kindle - but once libraries REALLY pushed the feature I became aware, and then ended up buying 2 e-readers...

My first kindle was a kindle keyboard, but it was just a dusty device I only used for the intention of reading fanfiction, as I was not aware ebooks existed (my roommate at the time used one for the same reason, hence me getting a kindle)

Note, I have been using Overdrive way back in 2014 for audiobooks - yet somehow, I never knew you could get ebooks? I feel so terribly out of the loop now that I'm confessing all this lol
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:45 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I bought my first to read ebooks from gutenberg (i'd read a few on the laptop since 2002) and realised it would also save a fortune in printer consumables and time doing proofing.
Ebooks have existed 30 years approx before the first eink based dedicated ereader (Sony in 2005). People used PDAs, then phones as well as CRTs on PCs and terminals! Amazon bought Mobipocket (ebook seller) two years before they sold a Kindle!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:12 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I was aware that ebooks existed since 2005 or so, and bought some even back then, which I read on my laptop. But I preferred paper books until 2011, when I bought my first ereader. Never looked back since.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I was aware that ebooks existed since 2005 or so, and bought some even back then, which I read on my laptop. But I preferred paper books until 2011, when I bought my first ereader. Never looked back since.
The first eBook was created in 1971. The first dedicated eBook Reader was released.

https://govbooktalk.gpo.gov/2014/03/...ebook-services
Old 08-20-2022, 02:31 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
That article mentions the iphone (2007), but ebooks read on PDAs before phones and the iPhone was about NINE years after the first smart phones. Mobipocket was selling ebooks for PDAs and phones more than 6 years before the iPhone.

Otherwise good article.

The first Gutenberg PD ebook may have been 1971 but the first actual ebook was probably much earlier than 1971. But I don't remember. The first ebooks were just plain text.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-20-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote