Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #16
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does the condition of an eBook matter? It doesn't.
An ebook might be in poor condition because it has poor CSS.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
An ebook might be in poor condition because it has poor CSS.
Then that would be most of them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2022, 02:22 AM   #18
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Amazon's Goodreads ditching a user feature

I think I’ve used these features once. I don’t use features that can’t be accessed from the mobile app. And since I don’t read dead tree books I have no need to input condition or where I bought it.

I have a StoryGraph account, but I don’t use it. For me it’s not a viable option until it has more books, including multiple editions. I read a lot of self-published titles and so many aren’t on SG. I’m not willing to add books to the service. Feel free to call me lazy, but that’s just not something I’m willing to do when it’s most likely already on GR.

Also, every few months I try importing my data into SG and so many are still missing. So that’s a non-starter for me. I want SG to succeed though! I want them to become so successful that it forces Amazon to innovate and make GR better.

Last edited by JBaby; 08-11-2022 at 02:24 AM.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:54 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I only have a comment about this feature: Goodreads killed it a lot of time ago (it was not very functional anymore), they have only made official.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:37 AM   #20
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
That can be said for a lot of Goodreads features
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2022, 05:58 AM   #21
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yes. Goodreads became less useful to me after the acquisition; the homepage showed mostly my own books and promotional links, neither of which is of interest, to the detriment of what my friends are reading, which is what I’d like to see. Yes, I could scroll down, but I usually don’t bother, just log my books and go.
I wonder if we're seeing different things? My main column - above the fold, and continuing below it - is the feed of what my friends are reading/reviewing. Left sidebar has what I'm reading, news, recs, awards etc.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:26 AM   #22
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
This change really isn't a big deal for me. Thanks to the people who have mentioned Storygraph, I'll check it out.

Oddly, the one possible change I've noticed with Goodreads is that it's more difficult (or impossible) to change the edition I'm "reading" to the audiobook/Audible edition. Since Amazon also owns Audible IMO it's weird that Goodreads has made it more difficult to find the audiobook edition of many popular books.

For example, I'm currently listening to Enemy at the Gates by Kyle Mills. Finding the book on Goodreads was as easy as ever, but I can't seem change what I'm currently reading to the audiobook/Audible edition in the app,
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:42 AM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHistorian76 View Post

For example, I'm currently listening to Enemy at the Gates by Kyle Mills. Finding the book on Goodreads was as easy as ever, but I can't seem change what I'm currently reading to the audiobook/Audible edition in the app,
fwiw, The Storygraph has put a lot of work into upgrading its audiobook handling recently and for every book for which it has multiple editions (most of them) there is a "switch to this edition" button, as in the attached screenshot of the book I'm currently reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.png
Views:	655
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	195787  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:40 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I wonder if we're seeing different things? My main column - above the fold, and continuing below it - is the feed of what my friends are reading/reviewing. Left sidebar has what I'm reading, news, recs, awards etc.
When using the Goodreads mobile app, the feed of what my friends are reading, reviewing rating, and generally doing is the primary view. Can't say that I use the full-blown website much any more.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:18 AM   #25
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not looking for a book cataloguing site, myself, so these changes don't really bother me. I never did put any of my physical books in Goodreads, and "condition" wouldn't be something I was interested in even if I did. I just need a place that lets me search for some books, maintain a bit of a virtual TBR, and check out what other people I know are reading. Goodreads still works the same way for me that it always did. *shrug*
Yeah, around the same for me, mostly though just to keep up with what books i read, and to take a peek at recommendations from Amazon.
I also like the annual 'What my friends are reading' newsletter, it has steered me to some good stuff
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:15 AM   #26
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Every time I try to use StoryGraph I find that one of the people I follow on Goodreads are on it (and I really trust their opinions), I can't quickly add books to read later using the camera (I do this A TON when I'm with my wife at the book store--she's not an ebook reader), and I find the UI unnecessarily sparse to the point I have a hard time using it.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #27
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
Every time I try to use StoryGraph I find that one of the people I follow on Goodreads are on it (and I really trust their opinions), I can't quickly add books to read later using the camera (I do this A TON when I'm with my wife at the book store--she's not an ebook reader), and I find the UI unnecessarily sparse to the point I have a hard time using it.
Re adding by camera, the ability to add by scanning ISBN is on the medium-term roadmap. Not as convenient as a photo, but probably more precise too, and still doable with a phone.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #28
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Re adding by camera, the ability to add by scanning ISBN is on the medium-term roadmap. Not as convenient as a photo, but probably more precise too, and still doable with a phone.
Thanks for the info!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote