Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #61
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Vampire, "shifter", paranormal, supernatural. It's sad, too, because I used to *love* books about those things, but so much actual drek has been written about them, I just automatically say "no" now, and move on. Especially in the "cozy mystery" genre.

Oh yeah...I've also recently decided that any that include recipes or "knitting tips" are a hard no, as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Vampire, "shifter", paranormal, supernatural. It's sad, too, because I used to *love* books about those things, but so much actual drek has been written about them, I just automatically say "no" now, and move on.

Shari
Generally same here, though there have been exceptions. And ditto for soulmate. Or fated mate, or mate at all. They have managed to make an abomination of the word.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #63
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
“Sweeping” and “saga.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Multi-generational (spanning generations) doesn't work for me.
How about a sweeping, multigenerational saga Whatever you call it, I usually avoid these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Vampire, "shifter", paranormal, supernatural. It's sad, too, because I used to *love* books about those things, but so much actual drek has been written about them, I just automatically say "no" now, and move on. Especially in the "cozy mystery" genre.

Oh yeah...I've also recently decided that any that include recipes or "knitting tips" are a hard no, as well.

Shari
I prefer books set in the real world so any of those supernatural things are an automatic "no" for me.

Unfortunately book descriptions often don't indicate "includes recipes" or "includes craft tips" so you don't find out until you download and start reading.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #64
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Historical fiction that isn't will make me drop a book. I like historical fiction to be mostly accurate, especially concerning major historical facts. I don't mind minor changes that help the story especially when the author adds an afterword explaining their reasoning.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just came upon a science fiction novel the synopsis of which seemed interesting... until the words "the gutsy heroine". Ouch. I couldn't close the tab fast enough.
Advert
Old 08-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #66
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Historical fiction that isn't will make me drop a book. I like historical fiction to be mostly accurate, especially concerning major historical facts. I don't mind minor changes that help the story especially when the author adds an afterword explaining their reasoning.
Apache
Yes, obvious historical gaffes can bother me quite a bit, though I'll admit that I'm a lot more forgiving of movies in that regard than books. The mention of Stirrups from a time period before stirrups were in common use is a pet peeve. Stirrups were not common in the West until much later than a lot of people think.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #67
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yes, obvious historical gaffes can bother me quite a bit, though I'll admit that I'm a lot more forgiving of movies in that regard than books. The mention of Stirrups from a time period before stirrups were in common use is a pet peeve. Stirrups were not common in the West until much later than a lot of people think.
Even more than physical anachronisms I'm bothered by 21st century mindset in a book or a movie taking place in the past. And that happens in the majority of them. Recently I watched a couple of episodes of Knightfall in Netflix. Ouch. Not the whole grail stuff, but the values and attitudes of the characters. Pure modern stuff. Needless to say, I won't be watching any more episodes, unless I'm very bored.

But we have drifted off topic again.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I vaguely seem to remember stirrups were in common use in the West (by which I take it, you mean Europe) by the 8th century. Or are you referring to elsewhere/elsewhen?

I do remember laughing in one movie set in Rome where they were using stirrups. The ignominy of dismounting to fight on foot was not for them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Even more than physical anachronisms I'm bothered by 21st century mindset in a book or a movie taking place in the past...

But we have drifted off topic again.
I agree. And it can easily be brought back on topic. It is often obvious even in the book description.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I do remember laughing in one movie set in Rome where they were using stirrups.
Supposedly several extras in Spartacus appear wearing wrist watches. I haven't sought out the truth of it because once I see it I can't unsee it and I don't want to ruin a great movie for myself.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Supposedly several extras in Spartacus appear wearing wrist watches. I haven't sought out the truth of it because once I see it I can't unsee it and I don't want to ruin a great movie for myself.
I've heard it was the sunglasses in Braveheart (which is a heap of anachronisms anyway, so I guess little harm was done).
Old 08-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've heard it was the sunglasses in Braveheart (which is a heap of anachronisms anyway, so I guess little harm was done).
I only saw Braveheart once and didn't care for it. The Passion and Apocalypto showed that Mel Gibson is a talented director. Maybe I should try again. But I likely won't.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For quite a few books from Amazon or Kobo, if I have found the description interesting enough, I will download the sample. If the first chapter or so in the sample isn't enough to hook me, very time has been wasted. Of course, this assumes the sample has enough of the book to be worthwhile. I still have a nasty taste left from one sample that by the time I skipped over the multiple cover images, the titlepage, the copyright pages, the other books by author pages, the author's social media links, a short table of contents, a full table of contents, a 2 page dedication, 3 pages of acknowledgements and the epigraph, there were a whole 3 pages of the prologue to be read. BTW, I didn't buy the book partly based on the lack of a useful sample and partly on the double-spaced prologue with a 1.5 line height space between the indented paragraphs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I pulled up a review of a highly rated Goodreads book that sounded positively dire to me, and here are some of the trigger words and phrases in the blurb:
  • Soul
  • Noble student
  • Profound spiritual insight
  • Finding beauty in a cruel and arbitrary world
  • Somber backdrop
  • Unusual story
  • Soulmate

There are more, but you catch the drift. Some of these would make the all-time list, notably “soulmate” and “spiritual insight,” but others, less specific, still add up to not being able to hit the back button fast enough. And mostly because the author or whoever was responsible for this drivel tips her hand. I don’t mind a soulmate or spiritual insight in theory, but if you’ve got to label it, you’ve got serious problems. You clearly don’t trust your narrative to do the job.
Those are good words/phrases to ignore.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #75
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I vaguely seem to remember stirrups were in common use in the West (by which I take it, you mean Europe) by the 8th century. Or are you referring to elsewhere/elsewhen?

I do remember laughing in one movie set in Rome where they were using stirrups. The ignominy of dismounting to fight on foot was not for them.
There's some evidence that the Sarmatians used stirrups, and there was a Sarmatian auxiliary cavalry unit stationed at Hadrian's Wall. However, most Roman cavalry did not use stirrups, and the stirrup did not become widely used until the early Medieval period.

Re the movies, unfortunately, modern insurance requirements mean riders must use stirrups even in (supposedly) historical films set in a period where stirrups were unknown...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote