Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Buying books: words or phrases that can turn a 'yes' into a 'no'?

You know that feeling. Something or another brought you to a book's page, you start to read through the description and see that annoying thing that makes you decide the book isn't for you (or at least has a strike against it).

For me, there's several. Of course none of these are a 100% no, but man, the book better have something major going for it if it has any of these:

A book where the writing or characters are described as 'snarky'.

A book that says it is perfect for fans of XXX (in a blurb, it's different).

A description that ends with an exclamation point.

Full of snarky characters in adorkable situations, perfect for fans of Dan Brown and Tennessee Williams. First in a heartwarming new zombie series!

What are some major red flags for you?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
“Sweeping” and “saga.”
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
New adult, young adult, college student etc. I'm mature, I don't have the patience to read about clueless kids.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A lousy cover
romance
When the description starts off with review snippets.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I hate books where the hero/Heroine is clueless and helpless until the very end when miraculously they start doing everything right and figure everything out.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When the description starts off with review snippets.
Oh yeah! When I see "with over a billion five star ratings on Goodreads" that is a turn off.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Oh yeah! When I see "with over a billion five star ratings on Goodreads" that is a turn off.
Another way to say it is when book's description toots it's own horn.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
“Sweeping” and “saga.”
'Saga' usually tells me the person is taking it too seriously.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
'Saga' usually tells me the person is taking it too seriously.
To me, saga depends on the rest of the description.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
New adult, young adult, college student etc. I'm mature, I don't have the patience to read about clueless kids.
Some of the best books I've read have been young adult fantasy. An adult plot and story but the main characters are young adult. No sex, but maybe some light romance. The Queen's Thief series is one and the Abhorsen series is another.

I have a problem where I cannot finish a book unless the author makes me care about the characters. The vast majority of books are purely plot driven and simply treat the characters like chess pieces to be moved around on the board for the plot. Young adult books seem to be more character oriented.

This is also why I think I drifted from science fiction to fantasy; the former is almost always about some idea while the latter may have better character development.

Mysteries rarely have satisfying character development but there are a few (e.g., Donna Leon).

Late in life I discovered Westerns, where the plot is often a good guy vs a bad guy with a woman for the good guy to fall in love with (for example, see Bat Wing Bowles which I recently uploaded).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
While I agree the things mentioned in the previous posts are annoying, I usually still buy the book. What really turns me off are grammatical mistakes in the synopsis (sometimes seen with self-pubs). I mean, the book itself might be proofread and edited, but I don't trust the author when they can't even write a short synopsis without errors. So I don't buy the book in those cases.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
This is also why I think I drifted from science fiction to fantasy; the former is almost always about some idea while the latter may have better character development.
Ditto. I do still read science fiction, but less than I did as a teenager and a young adult.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Sounds like one book my daughter was reading when she was in high school. Basically, if the characters were in a horror movie, they'd be taking turns to head into the basement while the main character spends her time dithering about whether to tell her friends/parents/stray people she meets on the street what she knows about the killer for fear of becoming unpopular like any fink.

My daughter took her advice from Sid Ziff: “It is not a book to be lightly thrown aside. It should be thrown with great force.”
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't mind some young adult books. But what turns me off immediately? Anything Oprah endorses, Time-Travel romance, anything with Rogue or Billionaire in the title.

Blurbs that have sayings like "life changing", or "readers of xxxxx MUST read this book."

A so called Box Set of 5-10 books that has 600 pages.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I don't mind some young adult books. But what turns me off immediately? Anything Oprah endorses, Time-Travel romance, anything with Rogue or Billionaire in the title.

Blurbs that have sayings like "life changing", or "readers of xxxxx MUST read this book."

A so called Box Set of 5-10 books that has 600 pages.
I don't mind the mention of a rogue, many fantasy books have it too. Billionaire is an instant turn-off, as are bare-chested men on the covers (a sure sign of a romance novel). While I occasionally read romances, I don't like the ones where all the chemistry is based on pure physical lust. So the books with naked men on their covers are out.

Books under 200 pages (that goes for individual books) will not be bought by me.