Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
By my calculations, ebooks FAR exceeded any expections that traditional publishing insiders had for them. In fact they never took them very seriously at all until their level of success starting causing them migraines and panic attacks.

The expectation that ebooks would entirely replace print books was never really one that anyone with common sense took seriously.
Again, I'm not arguing against the reality. There's a difference between reality and perception you would get if you come across the occasional e-book article on a regular news site like MPR.

There was also an article I linked to a while ago where a paperbook reader was saying why they could never go to e-books without having ever tried them.

Any time I read an article like that, the "you're screwed if you're around water" argument comes up. When I talk to people at work who like to read, but have never tried an e-reader, I hear some variations of "I like to read in the tub" or the general "I would just miss books on paper" (with no details of what that actually means).

Now, of course e-books will never replace paper books. But I think there is a much bigger market for e-ink readers that isn't filled because those readers hear about e-books, only imagine reading on their phones/tablets and say "that's not for me." Which is why, I guess, in my first post I mentioned not only a waterproof Kindle, but one with a heavy advertising campaign to put it in front of people's eyes.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It makes me wonder exactly whose ebook take-off expectations they're basing the assertion on? Exactly what level of take-off-edness WAS expected, and by whom)? I mean, there's no way Amazon was disappointed in how well ebooks have been recieved, right? So who was it that expected them to do better than they did (are doing), and wny were their expectations lent such credence?
I suspect that both publishers and readers were expecting something akin to what the music industry faced with MP3s.

And there's articles like this one: Books are back. Only the technodazzled thought they would go away

They are FUD. But regardless, they are what general news sites rely on.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-19-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Advert
Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Any time I read an article like that, the "you're screwed if you're around water" argument comes up. When I talk to people at work who like to read, but have never tried an e-reader, I hear some variations of "I like to read in the tub" or the general "I would just miss books on paper" (with no details of what that actually means).
Fair enough. But to put the anecdotal nature of your observances in perspective: I've never read an article that was critical of ebooks (and there's been a lot) even mention water. Nor have any of the countless people I've discussed ebooks/ereading with in my life ever brought up tub reading. And I've been at this a good long while.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Fair enough. But to put the anecdotal nature of your observances in perspective, I've never read an article that was critical of ebooks (and there's been a lot) even mention water. Nor have any of the countless people I've discussed ebooks with in my life ever brought up tub reading.
But my anecdotal evidence is stronger than yours!

I do wonder if maybe a waterproof Oasis or Voyage will be their next big thing (I would assume that it would start with the high-end models).
Old 11-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

I do wonder if maybe a waterproof Oasis or Voyage will be their next big thing (I would assume that it would start with the high-end models).
I'm honestly not sure that a waterproof device is a big thing in many people's minds. The waterproof Kobo H2O has been out for over two years now. Amazon spend an awful lot of money on market research; I'm sure that if a significant number of people had said "I would buy a Kindle if only there were a waterproof one available", there would have been one by now.

To be honest, when I owned an H2O, I found the rubber flap that goes over the ports to make them waterproof a real pain whenever I wanted to connect the device to my PC, or recharge it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I would love to have a waterproof e-ink reader. (Please notice I did not say Kindle.) It would come handy perhaps 5 days per year, when I am camping and want to pack my reader with me in a canoe. And perhaps another week when I am at the beach.

But, there are many other features that could be implemented by Amazon to generate much more buzz. Such as support for side-loaded fonts or better typography. And those could be implemented using a simple software patch.
All the features you are wanting already exist with the Kobo Aura H2o or the Kobo Aura One.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Natch!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm honestly not sure that a waterproof device is a big thing in many people's minds... Amazon spend an awful lot of money on market research; I'm sure that if a significant number of people had said "I would buy a Kindle if only there were a waterproof one available", there would have been one by now.
Yeah, you and DiapDealer probably have a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To be honest, when I owned an H2O, I found the rubber flap that goes over the ports to make them waterproof a real pain whenever I wanted to connect the device to my PC, or recharge it.
Waterproofing has gotten better since then. Most waterproof devices do not rely on a rubber flap for their waterproofing.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Waterproofing has gotten better since then. Most waterproof devices do not rely on a rubber flap for their waterproofing.
Yes, I noticed that the Aura One doesn't have a flap. That's certainly a great improvement.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #40
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Waterproofing hasn't gotten to the point that I would feel safe reading with an ereader sitting/soaking in a bathtub full of hot water.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Waterproofing hasn't gotten to the point that I would feel safe reading with an ereader sitting/soaking in a bathtub full of hot water.
Absolutely no reason not to feel safe. The H20 and the Aura One are both certified to a standard which guarantees them to remain waterproof after (this is from memory - I may be slightly wrong) 30 minutes' immersion in a metre of water.

EDIT: Yes, I was right. It's called "IP67" certification and guarantees 30 minutes' immersion in a metre of water, so dropping it in the bath would be no problem.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-19-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #42
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A reader being waterproof isn't something I (personally) find necessary.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Does this make you feel any better: https://youtu.be/PovPDF_FZOM?t=37s
Old 11-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #44
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
As to a waterproof Kindle, they are available.
http://waterfi.com/waterproof-kindle
So Amazon is losing nothing. Especially when you count R&D, actual production costs etc.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
As to a waterproof Kindle, they are available.
http://waterfi.com/waterproof-kindle
So Amazon is losing nothing. Especially when you count R&D, actual production costs etc.
There's a difference between an after market treatment and an official product launch.

(Not to mention the cost is double.)