Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
How much is Amazon missing by not having a waterproof Kindle?

Just read an MPR article: Predictions from 1996: The e-book

It's a softball, jokey article. But near the end they question why e-book sales didn't take off. Of course, I know you're saying 'agency pricing!' and you're probably right.

But twice they mention reading in the tub. There are already waterproof e-readers, but Amazon hasn't bothered with a waterproof Kindle. And Kindle is, for better or worse, what the general (American) public thinks of when they think of e-readers.

I do wonder what would happen if there was, say, a black Friday-timed commercial showing the latest high-end Kindle and then they dunk it in water. And it works!

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-18-2016 at 03:14 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Just read an MPR article: Predictions from 1996: The e-book

It's a softball, jokey article. But near the end they question why e-book sales didn't take off. Of course, I know you're saying 'agency pricing!' and you're probably right.
I'm a little puzzled by the comment that ebook sales "didn't take off". I believe that for fiction, ebooks outsell paper books now, at least in the US market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a little puzzled by the comment that ebook sales "didn't take off". I believe that for fiction, ebooks outsell paper books now, at least in the US market.
Good point.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could be articles like this one: http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/1...tinue-decline/
Old 11-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
I think the comments to that article are more telling than the article itself...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The AAP only includes stats from the 1200 publishers that submit sales figures to them. Lots of small publishers don't. In addition self published books on Amazon and others are also not included.

The AAP is, of course, aware of that but they're using their true statement to tell a lie; namely that ebooks aren't doing so well. Most people reading that statement won't realize that it doesn't really mean much.

There's the old story about the used car guy who took in a nice clean looking piece of junk that needed a lot of work but looked good. He called his grandmother and asked her to come by the lot and drive it to the grocery store, which she did. Later that day he sold the car to an unsuspecting couple explaining that the car had been driven by an elderly lady only to the grocery store. He didn't make a single untrue statement but he told a lie. That's exactly what the AAP is doing. There's a word for that. It's called "marketing".

Ebooks didn't do away with paper books overnight and that's partly because of agency pricing and partly due to marketing and partly because a lot of people just like paper books. Over time my guess is that ebooks will continue to do better, as they are now. I don't know that paper books will ever go away. I hope not. But at least for fiction they'll probably become the main way to buy books.

A waterproof Kindle kind of makes sense for a few people but for most people waterproofing has no real value. Most people read at home most of the time. People reading out and about mostly use phones. Reading in the tub is perfectly safe if you put your ereader in a baggy or in a waterproof case. The vast majority of readers will have no use whatever for waterproofing.

I have no use for waterproofing but if an ereader could be bought with or without it and waterproofing only raised the price a little I'd probably get it just to feel good about it. But not if it cost much more.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The AAP only includes stats from the 1200 publishers that submit sales figures to them. Lots of small publishers don't. In addition self published books on Amazon and others are also not included.

The AAP is, of course, aware of that but they're using their true statement to tell a lie; namely that ebooks aren't doing so well. Most people reading that statement won't realize that it doesn't really mean much.

There's the old story about the used car guy who took in a nice clean looking piece of junk that needed a lot of work but looked good. He called his grandmother and asked her to come by the lot and drive it to the grocery store, which she did. Later that day he sold the car to an unsuspecting couple explaining that the car had been driven by an elderly lady only to the grocery store. He didn't make a single untrue statement but he told a lie. That's exactly what the AAP is doing. There's a word for that. It's called "marketing".

Ebooks didn't do away with paper books overnight and that's partly because of agency pricing and partly due to marketing and partly because a lot of people just like paper books. Over time my guess is that ebooks will continue to do better, as they are now. I don't know that paper books will ever go away. I hope not. But at least for fiction they'll probably become the main way to buy books.

A waterproof Kindle kind of makes sense for a few people but for most people waterproofing has no real value. Most people read at home most of the time. People reading out and about mostly use phones. Reading in the tub is perfectly safe if you put your ereader in a baggy or in a waterproof case. The vast majority of readers will have no use whatever for waterproofing.

I have no use for waterproofing but if an ereader could be bought with or without it and waterproofing only raised the price a little I'd probably get it just to feel good about it. But not if it cost much more.

Barry
Nope.

The AAP is pretty clear about the limits of their stats. It's not their fault that the data is frequently misinterpreted.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I agree with Barry about the value of waterproofing. I bought the last Nook e-reader and one of its features was being waterproof. One day of using it was enough to tell me I had made a mistake and I should have gotten a Paperwhite. The Nook's minuses far exceeded the value of waterproofing. I returned it and bought the non-waterproof PW.

Waterproofing, for most people, is a nice, cool feature to have, but it's not an essential. I'll consider readability, weight, battery life, pricing and design well before waterproofing.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:

Barry
I mostly agree, but I would say that putting my reader in a plastic bag* worked better when most readers had buttons. Touchscreens don't work very well through plastic.

*I was talking to a 25-year-old co-worker the other day about "baggies". She didn't know that there was actually a brand-name version of a lunch- or quart-sized plastic called "Baggies". Mentioning the "alligator skin" texture didn't ring any bells for her. Yet another word/phrase from my lifetime that young people have no idea where it came from.

ETA: Who knew? I haven't seen these in stores for years (and years), but when I hit Google to see if I can find a picture, I came across an option to purchase Baggies from soap.com! I'm tempted to order them for old-times' sake, but I don't know if I want to pay shipping for nostalgia.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 11-18-2016 at 09:24 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I mostly agree, but I would say that putting my reader in a plastic bag* worked better when most readers had buttons. Touchscreens don't work very well through plastic.

*I was talking to a 25-year-old co-worker the other day about "baggies". She didn't know that there was actually a brand-name version of a lunch- or quart-sized plastic called "Baggies". Mentioning the "alligator skin" texture didn't ring any bells for her. Yet another word/phrase from my lifetime that young people have no idea where it came from.

ETA: Who knew? I haven't seen these in stores for years (and years), but when I hit Google to see if I can find a picture, I came across an option to purchase Baggies from soap.com! I'm tempted to order them for old-times' sake, but I don't know if I want to pay shipping for nostalgia.
I thought Baggie was one of those brand names like Kleenex that everybody uses instead of the generic term for the product. I guess I don't know that many young people......
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Nope.

The AAP is pretty clear about the limits of their stats. It's not their fault that the data is frequently misinterpreted.
They say that there are 1200 publishers contributing data. What they don't say is that there are many more publishers and sellers such as Amazon with it's self published books that aren't contributing data. They sent their grandmother to the grocery store.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
They say that there are 1200 publishers contributing data. What they don't say is that there are many more publishers and sellers such as Amazon with it's self published books that aren't contributing data. They sent their grandmother to the grocery store.

Barry
You can learn that detail from their annual estimates.

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-18-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Somewhere in there the point of the thread was lost. Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post.

The point is in public perception. Many (most?) e-book articles that I read that aren't at e-book specific sites make many of the same claims the article I linked to did: E-book sales didn't take off like expected. People prefer paper books. And, inevitably, the 'read it in the tub' or 'read it at the beach' argument comes up.

To you and me, a water-proof Kindle would be a nice thing that Amazon is maybe behind the times on. But I'm betting it would generate buzz and bring in lots of new Kindle readers. Similar to the way that Apple can roll out a feature and you hear how they may not have invented X, but they perfected X.

Yeah, it's a bunch of bull, but if it gets more people using e-readers, who cares?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-18-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One thing that the Kindle has (at least the Kindle Fire) is a Gorilla Glass screen which makes it very hard for it to break even if dropped. I don't think paper will ever go completely away either. Technical manuals for example and other reference volumes are more likely going to stay in paper for a while if not forever. Fiction on the other hand has more portability in e-book format. If I have a book in the cloud I can access it anywhere I can get access to a WiFi connection. And it makes it easier to store books than it is when all your books are paper. Plus all your e-books weigh the same amount (the weight of the e-reader). You can't say that with paper.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:50 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
To you and me, a water-proof Kindle would be a nice thing that Amazon is maybe behind the times on. But I'm betting it would generate buzz and bring in lots of new Kindle readers.
I would love to have a waterproof e-ink reader. (Please notice I did not say Kindle.) It would come handy perhaps 5 days per year, when I am camping and want to pack my reader with me in a canoe. And perhaps another week when I am at the beach.

But, there are many other features that could be implemented by Amazon to generate much more buzz. Such as support for side-loaded fonts or better typography. And those could be implemented using a simple software patch.
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote