Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #46
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the touch screen is much easier to use than the buttons for page turns. Swiping to turn the page is more like turning the page of a pBook.

Question...When you read pBooks, did you complain about the page turn method?
Yes, I actually did complain. I read and eat at the same time a LOT. ALways did. I'd read while scarfing breakfast before school. And the whole pages thing was a pain in the neck--trying to hold the book open, eat cereal and turn the pages! With the Kindle with buttons, I hold with one hand and turn pages with the same hand. I eat with the other. Presto, my problem was solved. I remember Mom buying those funking see-through holders so you could put your book in it and eat and read. The thing would hold the pages open. The problem was that we all read fast in our family and it took more time to take the book out, turn the pages, put it back in--then it did to read the two pages!

I don't care for swiping much and it would be a consideration for my next e-reader. IF There are any with buttons left...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Yes, I actually did complain. I read and eat at the same time a LOT. ALways did. I'd read while scarfing breakfast before school. And the whole pages thing was a pain in the neck--trying to hold the book open, eat cereal and turn the pages! With the Kindle with buttons, I hold with one hand and turn pages with the same hand. I eat with the other. Presto, my problem was solved. I remember Mom buying those funking see-through holders so you could put your book in it and eat and read. The thing would hold the pages open. The problem was that we all read fast in our family and it took more time to take the book out, turn the pages, put it back in--then it did to read the two pages!

I don't care for swiping much and it would be a consideration for my next e-reader. IF There are any with buttons left...
Buttons are a fad. Zippers are where it's at.

But seriously, buttons are going the way of the Dodo. You could use a stylus to change the page and not have to worry about dirty hands.

I've read at the table when I was young and I managed it. I don't recall complaining about turning pages.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-03-2015 at 06:53 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #48
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

But seriously, buttons are going the way of the Dodo. You could use a stylus to change the page and not have to worry about dirty hands.

I've read at the table when I was young and I managed it. I don't recall complaining about turning pages.
Obviously a faulty memory is the problem here.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

When I was in the Navy, they tried to phase out 13 Button blues for ones with a Zipper (I hated the zipper ones).

'But it IS Tradition' (and this was from some just a year out of Boot camp )
A friend of my dad, gave me a pair of WWII era 13 Button Whites, which I wore to Inspection. The Division Officer 'knew' something was wrong with my uniform, he just could not figure what. (They were technically still legal uniform)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #50
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Buy a Sony while you still can! They have page turn buttons.

I seriously tried a touch screen ereader. Put the Sony away for a good 6 weeks and just used the Kobo. I couldn't take it, I had to have my page turn buttons back so I bought another Sony. Tapping didn't work to turn the page. Swiping didn't work to turn the page. Touch screens and me just don't communicate well at all and I have yet to find a technique that works on any of them. And I have tried.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Now, tell me you're still using DOS 2.1 because you hate having to use a mouse.
No, I'm using Windows 10, which is a lovely evolution from Windows 7, with lessons learned from Windows 8 (bringing back the start menu for instance).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #52
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Makes more sense to have a touch screen to change pages if you're reading in the dark. And with the front light devices, more of us are probably reading in the dark/dim lighting than in the direct sunlight.

I preferred my Kindle Keyboard's buttons to my Paperwhite. Didn't have to think too much as my hand was already there to turn the page. Had to always stop and think when doing the same on the PW.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #53
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
If swiping is similar to turning a pBook page, then how do you turn a page in a pBook? I seriously can't imagine.
Swiping isn't even remotely comparable. Except maybe that there is a general motion from right to left. But usually it would be the wrong hand.

Also, why swipe at all? I'm reading one-handed, I just want to use my thumb to progress the pages.

Touchscreens are great as long as you can actually use them. When it's a capacitive screen and you wear gloves (because it's cold, for example) - bad luck.
Of course, there are alternatives - which force you to not ever touch the screen unless you want to click something.

I'm quite happy with my Imco device - capacitive screen and buttons on both sides. In winter I use the buttons and can hold the device whatever way I want (wearing gloves reduces my fine motor skills and when moving I often grab it at the screen to have a good hold) and still turn pages without problems.

Regarding relyability - both have their problems. A touch-screen is just as likely to fail you as a button is. If the button isn't well-made, it might not react evenly, and if the software isn't good, the screen won't react or will take time to react (making you doubt if you actually touched it).

Buttons may not live as long as the screen, but I'd hope they at least live long enough for the battery to degrade, in which case it'd be time to buy a new reader.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Makes more sense to have a touch screen to change pages if you're reading in the dark...

I preferred my Kindle Keyboard's buttons to my Paperwhite.
You have me very confused

Touch screens make more sense, but you preferred the buttons to the touchscreen?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #55
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You have me very confused

Touch screens make more sense, but you preferred the buttons to the touchscreen?
Yeah...

Making more sense doesn't necessarily mean I have to prefer it. Like what works for you doesn't always work for everyone.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I prefer reading one-handed and "turning pages" with a subtle flexing of the thumb. It worked for me on my K2 with buttons, and it works for me on my tablet's touch screen without them. Swiping is wasted motion, IMO. The touch screen tap also works better for me when reading on the treadmill. Bigger target.

I'd probably appreciate both options, but I'm not looking for a new device anytime soon--and I'm out of the dedicated ereader game anyway. I'm all about the letter; not the envelope it arrives in.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #57
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post

I'm amazed you didn't discover book-weights which hold the book open so one hand is freed of that task. That's what I used for reading while eating.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #58
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:

When I'm eating while I'm reading I use the knuckle of my index finger to change the page. I'm a messy eater but I do have limits. I rarely get food on the back of my hand.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #59
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm amazed you didn't discover book-weights which hold the book open so one hand is freed of that task. That's what I used for reading while eating.
Used those too. Still didn't like them as well as I like the little buttons today.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #60
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I vastly prefer buttons and one-handed reading. Swiping is a nuisance; slower, more effort and text-obscuring. Tapping is better if it can be changed to the left margin, except that my hands are too small for a thumb tap with any but the narrowest bezel.

My mother's got an STR and it's ideal in that I could turn off the page-turn touch function for her, so random touches do nothing.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote