Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #31
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Question...When you read pBooks, did you complain about the page turn method?
Yes.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #32
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
No more than I complained about not being able to change the font, increase the text size or fit several thousand titles between the same covers. Maybe those should go next to make e-readers a more analog experience?

Sheesh
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Cost savings I would assume. Less moving parts will always be cheaper.
And there is less to break down as well. Page turn buttons mean more moving parts that can break. Also I think swiping your finger right or left is more natural in a way as it simulates the flipping motion when you turn a page.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
One hand for eating one hand for reading.
This is what I do when I eat at Popeye's.
Apache
Or hold a stylus in one hand to flip the pages.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Manufacturers rely on "novelty" to sell new models. Touch was a novelty that enticed owners of older page-turn button models. Then Amazon introduced their pressure sensitive buttons on the Voyage as the next novelty.

Take my word for it, soon we'll come full circle and companies will release models with real page turn buttons again at some point. We'll have a generation of users used to only touch models who will consider physical page turn buttons a dramatic improvement and so buy those new models.
But the interesting thing is they will consider it "innovative".

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And there is less to break down as well. Page turn buttons mean more moving parts that can break.
You could use the same argument to say e-readers should have a replaceable battery (which became a stupidly ridiculous deal in a different thread).

Page turn buttons could break. Batteries could wear out. My Nook Simple Touch hasn't given me problems with either and I've had it since 2013. When one or the other fails, it'll be time for a new e-reader and I'll feel like whatever their shortcomings, B&N gave me value on the device.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You could use the same argument to say e-readers should have a replaceable battery (which became a stupidly ridiculous deal in a different thread).

Page turn buttons could break. Batteries could wear out. My Nook Simple Touch hasn't given me problems with either and I've had it since 2013. When one or the other fails, it'll be time for a new e-reader and I'll feel like whatever their shortcomings, B&N gave me value on the device.
If you have a device you like, do you really want to ditch it because of a battery?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #38
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But the interesting thing is they will consider it "innovative".

Wouldn't matter, IMO The companies laughing all the way to the bank probably couldn't care less about us arguing over it on an internet forum.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a device you like, do you really want to ditch it because of a battery?
Since the Nook Simple Touch doesn't have a replaceable battery, it is just something I have to resign myself to. Just like the ditching of the page turn buttons
Old 07-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No battery door or anything, but not overly hard to replace...

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #41
bullet
Rookie Mucker
bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 7. Moto G, Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Linux PCs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
My guess is that it is more because everything has lost buttons, it's a lot easier to add / change functions in software and people like more screen size for device size.

I always liked the controls for the Jetbook Lite, up/down slider, d-pad, 10 number buttons on the side, another 5 buttons around the d-pad, If they made one now with an improved screen and processor I'd get another

I must admit that I actually have no problems switching between a Sony 650, Kobo Mini, Kobo HD, And Pyrus mini. Always use the page turn buttons on the 650 instead of swipe though.

Then again, I can use most tech with no problems whatsoever, while the washing machine is a huge mystery. Why the hell do I need 30 settings and better temperature adjustment than my central heating to wash something???
I have the tame problem with vacuum cleaners. My wife claims I don't even know how to plug it in. They run on electricity?
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #42
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And there is less to break down as well. Page turn buttons mean more moving parts that can break. Also I think swiping your finger right or left is more natural in a way as it simulates the flipping motion when you turn a page.
It's interesting that, in a thread where people are hinting that wanting buttons is holding on to out-dated thinking, this is the second time someone's referred to swiping by "more natural" or more like turning pages.

That's not to say it's not a valid point for you. But it's a bit of doublethink.

I started reading ebooks on my PDA back around 2002 (which although had a touch screen, required a stylus for screen activity, so I mostly used the buttons). I no longer think of having to lift my hand up to "turn the page" as natural any more than I miss having to reach up and and press a manual lever to move to the next line and back to the left-hand margin when typing on keyboard (I can't remember the name of the lever or the paper roller thingy on a manual typewriter )

I can read happily on either - readers with buttons or with touchscreens. If the buttons are well-designed, I prefer buttons.

I liked the infrared touchscreen on my Sony 650. I bought a soft-bristled makeup brush to gently swipe to turn the page. It solved two problems in one - it didn't leave fingerprints and it could be used to brush away the dust specks that seemed to gravitate to that screen and the bezel.

I've thought about buying a Voyager because I think I'd like the placement of those "buttons" (they're like my very first official ereader, and I'm drawing a blank on the name of it - got it from Fictionwise, used to be Rocketbook). I'm just not sure I want them to the tune of an extra $100 bucks or so.

Anyway, I say all this to say that page-turn buttons vs. touchscreen is a preference. I really don't understand why these kinds of threads always turn so bloody combative.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I really don't understand why these kinds of threads always turn so bloody combative.
Have you spent ten minutes on any message board on any subject?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #44
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Yeah, yeah. Sorry, that was my 10 minutes of being little Mary Sunshine. I'll go back to being a cynical grumpy old-timer now.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #45
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Whatever dude I don't know you personally, but it's nice to know there's ONE person on the internet who's never used it to complain since every single new technological change is a major improvement over the last.

Please tell me you installed Windows 8 without a touchscreen on day one and it was nothing but smiles
No, I waited for Windows 8.1. Now, tell me you're still using DOS 2.1 because you hate having to use a mouse.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote